Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Aside from all of that pesky pinstriping, the decals mods for this build will be fairly easy. Omit, modify, or replace a few markings.

The most notable difference is the pennant design. Thanks to the scans of the original Taylorprise decal sheet floating around online, I was able to clean up the scan (to remove the blue backing paper), scale, and print the proper pennants on white decal paper. Here’s a comparison with the stock 1/1000 Round 2 decal sheet.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Been working on the tedious process of seam-filling. Still need to add the fin-things on the rear tops of the nacelles and remove the radial spokes on the deflector dish, but the physical mods to the model are essentially complete. Be ready for primer, soon.

I think I’m pretty much ready to go, although there are still a few key blind spots. One inherent problem is that I can’t be quite sure about certain details. All of those test shots of the real model (minus markings) are very helpful, but the problem is that I can’t be entirely sure what may have been changed by the time the model was “finished”. For example, the test shots show the rearmost stepped ring surrounding the acrylic deflector dish was left clear/illuminated, while the forwardmost ring was hull-white. On the final/film version, the outermost ring was silver, and the other ring was hull-white, but with the “ring of lights” effect on the leading edge. And I don’t know when that change was made. Presumably during final detailing, after Trumbull came aboard, since that also appears to be when the RCS thrusters were added to the deflector housing.

The other BIG blind spot is the dorsal stripe, strongback and deflector housing. We know that some precursor to the final “engineering green” pattern was there on the dorsal and strongback (with some kind of horizontal brick-pattern on the latter), but not what color or what pattern, exactly. And I have no idea if the deflector housing was also painted in this manner, or was just hull-white (presumably with an Aztec pattern), at this point. Probert’s saucer-separation storyboards color the strongback, dorsal stripe, and the vertical stripe just above the pennant arrowhead yellow. The deflector housing and the vertical stripe in front of the botanical garden windows are white. Since he clearly used the model as his guide for the storyboards, this is useful. Although yellow was surely not the color used on the actual model.

Although, interestingly, the storyboards also shows the tapered, horizontal ribs on the deflector housing, which were seemingly only added to the final/film model, as well as the saucer rim gangway hatch. Were the storyboards drawn when the model was during a transitional phase from “finished” Taylorprise to final version? Or did the Taylorprise have those details added before the final modifications from Trumbull and crew? They’re not there in the test shots, and it’s impossible to know if they’re there in the only shot—that rear shot, with the nacelle and impulse lights on—we have of the “finished” model.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
First primer coat. Still a ways to go on the seams. Have yet to install the PE docking ports and botanical garden windows. Added the fin-things on the upper rear nacelles.

At this point, I'm reasonably sure that the “finished” Taylorprise model already had the deflector grid scribed into the secondary hull, in order to hide the three mounting post covers (port, starboard, ventral). I’m not sure about the raised rectangular, horizontal details on the nacelle pylon mounts. I think they may have been added for the final version, but the one good side photo of the pre-Trumbull model makes it hard to tell.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts