Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started on a build of The Delta Quadrant's 1/1000 Oberth-class kit, and I thought I'd just share some of my initial impressions of it so far.

Here is what you get:

8 solid resin parts with minimal flash, and no warping or bends as far as I can see.

As far as accuracy goes, it's kind of a mixed bag. The saucer, nacelles, and the topside of the big flat deck are beautifully done. The pylons are quite good, but there indentations along the fore and aft edges need to be cleaned up with a few dabs of putty and some sanding -- will post pics soon.

The bottom of the flat deck -- the impulse "box" is wrong. There is supposed to be 2 semi-cylindrical greebles that point forward, like in this photo of the studio model:

I'm gonna make an attempt to accurize it somewhat if I can find a thin enough stick of plastic.

The edge indentations on the front are fine, but the aft is really soft:

I'll attempt to file out those shapes, but I may end up cutting my losses and smoothing it all over with putty.

The lower hull... is something of a different story.

First off, the edge where the pylons attach is too thin. As you can see in the photo above, it's supposed to be thick enough to allow the red stripe to go continuously along the side of the hull; in the model, it'll be broken up by the pylon.

Secondly, the ridged areas on the lower rear sides are not indented deep enough, or evenly -- they're ok towards the front, but just sort of fade out in the rear. I'm going to file those areas out for a deeper indent -- I'll lose the ridges, but as they say on Earth, c'est la vie :p

And lastly, the top "hump" is the wrong shape entirely -- it's supposed to be a sort of stretched teardrop shape, not a cylinder with tapered front and back. I'm considering bulking up the sides to make it more rounded, but it's gonna take a lot of putty and sanding. Does anyone know of anything else I can use, or is putty pretty much my only option?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, now on to decals.

Lots of stripe-age ;), plus window decals for the saucer, and options for TMP or TNG-era pennants. It comes with 3 ship names: Oberth, Pegasus and Tsiokovsky. Most of the decals are in good shape, except for the nacelle pennants:

The "United Federation of Planets" text is all smeary.
Also the number on the aft lower hull is the wrong font:

I have a DIY decal kit, so I'll see if I can replace that text. I've never made my own decals before -- should be interesting.:)

All in all though, I'm still really hyped to build this kit. I've always loved this class of ship, and now I finally get to have one on my desk! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Hmmm, I thought about getting one myself, but now I think I'll pass. I've just got too many models and getting to old to deal with so many problems.

I've got an Oberth class in scale, I think, with the AMT Big E. I don't recall who makes it though.

Thanks, you did a really great 'out of the box' review. Very thorough! And hope you do some WIP pics too.

Good luck.

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks for this, Carl. It really helps to make a decision about buying the kit. I think, based on what you've posted, I'll give it a pass. About I do look forward to seeing what you do with yours...

·
Oxidation Genius
31,316 Posts
The parts look exactly like Dark Star's kit, so I suspect some mold sharing (or mold-purchasing, since Dark Star doesn't seem to be around any more). I was especially annoyed by the way the side grill on the pod is uneven, and part of it pops out along the top edge.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update time!

With the help of some spare sprues and an uncooked spaghetti noodle (yes, really! :p), I managed to recreate the missing greebles on the underside of the impulse deck.

The lower dome piece was misshapen, so I replaced it with a bridge dome from a 1/650 Enterprise kit. I also ended up puttying the back edge and sanding it flat.

I carved out the ridged areas on the lower hull with a file and sandpaper, so they're more defined now, and I attached the pylons. They fit very well; there was only a small gap between pylon and hull that needed a minimal amount of putty to fill it.

After the glue dried, I test fitted the platform piece onto the pylons, and everything fits together great -- no alignment problems or anything. Looks like it's almost time for primer!:)

BTW, I hope I'm not being overly critical or anything. I've never really done this before, and I'm trying to give the kit a fair shake. I'm not trying to drive off customers or something -- or at least I hope it doesn't come off that way.:eek:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got an Oberth class in scale, I think, with the AMT Big E. I don't recall who makes it though.

hal9001-
Sounds like the kit from Warp Models. I saw it on Federation Models when I was hunting around for Oberth kits. From the photos it looks more accurate, but it's like $125 :eek: This kit seemed like the best balance of size over cost, and accuracy issues aside, I'm pretty happy with it so far -- it's going together nicely.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooh look, grey primer! How exciting. :p

The saucer fit slightly askew on the hull, so I sawed off the tabs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics:

The indent at the back of the lower hull was blank, so I glued in a slice of sprue, just to have something there.

Scratchbuilt impulse greebles look pretty decent after priming.

I had a bit of a scare when the first few coats of primer went on all grainy and weird, but thanks to some helpful souls in the General Modeling forum, and a bit of wet sanding, the crisis was averted, and I have a lovely smooth finish on my model again. :) Looks like it's time to start painting some hull sections!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking good so far....'spaghetti boy'! :lol:

hal9001-
Lol, don't knock it till you've tried it, it's just the right diameter to do little pipes and tubing greebles. I saw a guy on another forum use linguini noodles to create a cargo bay door on the scratchbuild he was doing, and it turned out amazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've amazingly been a member here since 2009 yet this is my first post. Heh....

Anyhow, I just wanted to chime in as I'm the person who produces this kit. Carl_G is absolutely correct in his assessment of the Oberth kit. It's what I would call and average to good kit for what it is. Truth be told I only took over the master for this kit and the 1/1000 Defiant kit I sell as a favor to a friend who owned these masters and had kits made but realized he didn't have the time or energy to put into selling them. And seeing as I already had a resin company formed I knew that there was some demand and I could help him out. The same is true for the 1/1000 K'Tinga I sell.

These are older handmade masters and like John P. says they were originally made by Darkstar and have passed through several other folks since then. There isn't mold sharing going on though as I have new molds made as needed by CED. Bad casting is something I don't tolerate on my kits.

I'm not defending myself here. I just wanted to make sure that some of the older masters I have taken over aren't indicitive of most of my product line. Almost everything I do produce that are new kits are all done digitially and grown with the exception of the Scott Spicer mastered kits.

Sometimes judgements are given quickly at a first glance so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being tarred and feathered before I completely deserved it. ;)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,316 Posts
Nope, no tarring here. Maybe a little tickle with a feather, though... :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, the primer coat looked fine, until I tried spraying on the base coat and masking. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will stick to this model. I've gone through 3 different brands of masking tape, plus liquid mask, and they all rip the paint off, primer and all.
I ended up stripping all the paint off and dumping the parts back into a container of Comet and water, and there shall they stay for at least a couple of days to await more scrubbing.

Painting this thing is becoming so much of a PITA I could serve it with shawarma and garlic potatoes... mmm, Lebanese food...
(posting updates around lunchtime is dangerous :p)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Sorry to hear you're haveing so much trouble. Have you tried Floquil primer? If that stuff doesn't stick, then God help you!

hal9001-

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll see how the paint sticks after the parts finish getting re-soaked and scrubbed. If I still have problems, I'll give the floquil stuff a try, thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts