Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
WOW!! That looks great! Nice work making the dolly and support pipe along with the bluescreen background. You did a great job and should be really proud of yourself!

Have a great weekend!

Tom

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Now THAT'S different! What a great idea! Very well done, lights and everything! The dolly and stand look perfectly to scale... nice diorama! It's funny, but this reminds me of the original 11' miniature more than any straight build I've seen...

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Excellent! Just phenomenal! I have been lobbying for exactly this for some time, and what amazing execution!

OTOH I usually have said this in regards to the 1/350 kit, so that's some even more incredible work! Again, if you hadn't stated this was the 1/1000 kit I might have well assumed it was the 1/350.

Just super.

Now build one in the coloring if the 'hanging exhibit display' circa the mid '80s with the really off colors and the turkey red domes. :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool !
But you need to get some 5" tall figures for an spfx camera crew.

I'm still looking for good pictures of the cameras they used. Since this is an 11 inch model representing an 11 foot model, I think that would be 1/12 scale. So 5 to 6 inch figures would work.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking it's pretty likely that they used cameras from Desilu and there's probably enough I Love Lucy photos out there for me to reference.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Don't forget, you need to scratch build the control console as well. Were there ever any good photos taken? I would imagine maybe in the 'super secret' stuff that the Smithsonian restoration team had access to but couldn't share. My bet is somewhere in the photos taken at the 'high school appearance' in the early '70s there was something. I mean, if it was me at that school you can darn well bet I would have taken pics of EVERYTHING. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm still looking for good pictures of the cameras they used. Since this is an 11 inch model representing an 11 foot model, I think that would be 1/12 scale. So 5 to 6 inch figures would work.
Yes, when I made a stand to 3D print and look like the one in the photos of it on the street before delivery I scaled down standard wood sizes 1:12 and it looked correct.

1:1000 First Pilot TOS Enterprise on delivery stand

As for the cameras, the effects shots were not filmed at Desilu, this memory alpha page has a few photos of the camera used:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Film_Effects_of_Hollywood

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Well, since this is such an amazing project, an unusual view of something so iconic... shouldn't there be wires snaking down the nacelle pylons from the motors and lights at the front of the nacelles?

I only mention this because I just noticed that the trench in the starboard nacelle is correctly filled in per the filming miniature (as well as the other things such as the port side 'sensor ring support flange' or whatever that should be called :) ), and with that level of care the missing wires sort of suddenly popped out to me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, since this is such an amazing project, an unusual view of something so iconic... shouldn't there be wires snaking down the nacelle pylons from the motors and lights at the front of the nacelles?

I only mention this because I just noticed that the trench in the starboard nacelle is correctly filled in per the filming miniature (as well as the other things such as the port side 'sensor ring support flange' or whatever that should be called :) ), and with that level of care the missing wires sort of suddenly popped out to me.
At some point troughs were cut into the pylons and the wires were hidden. I don't know if this was during production or during the first restoration, so I chose to model that side as it looks today in the Smithsonian.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
At some point troughs were cut into the pylons and the wires were hidden. I don't know if this was during production or during the first restoration, so I chose to model that side as it looks today in the Smithsonian.
Huh! I didn't think they had cut into the nacelle pylons due to concerns of support and structural integrity. I stand corrected. I could have sworn there was at least one production picture where the wires could be seen along the pylons and nacelles- maybe a shot from 'The Trouble With Tribbles'?

Anyway, that's certainly a documented and valid answer! My appreciation for your skill and depth of research increases even more! :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, you're not wrong. They did a lot of shots with the wires taped to the sides of the pylons. Those troughs could have been made after the model arrived at the Smithsonian in 1974 (I think that was the year.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts