Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to go 1/10 4wd electric racing but im new to this. which seems to be the hot setup? just throw in your input and help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
4wd

i think the best 4wd ever were made by yokomo you can still find there buggys but they will set you back some cash and parts also

·
Registered
304 Posts
4wd are for losers got with a 2wd take more skill to drive. i would say go to your local track and see what every one is running. then go form there. as for elc i most ppl here are running momba's. i run a hobby wing and i keep up just fine and its a lower end brushless system.

i run 2wd not 4wd.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would suggest that if you plan on racing, go to the track you plan on racing at and see what people are running, and what the shop has as far as parts. You don't want to be stuck on race nights with no parts availability, which would happen with a Yokomo. Most, shops seem to carry Associated and Losi, and a few are stocking Hot Bodies parts for the D4 and Kyosho parts for the Lazer ZX-5. I have owned a Losi XXX-4 G+, and a Team Academy SB-V2 Pro, which is a shaft driven carbon chassis, very similar to the B44 and a great buggy, but harder to find parts for. I am currently running an Associated B44 and I love it. It's built well, tunable, and parts are easy to get. But go with what you like and can afford! As for electronics, the majority of racers are using brushless systems with LiPo batteries. There are too many to discuss here, so go to your local hobby shop and ask some questions and do your own research. Find a setup that you can afford and that suits your personal needs. Remeber, everyone here will give you their personal preferences, but what works well for them may not work well for you, or may be too expensive if you're just getting started. Good luck and have fun! I hope you enjoy this rewarding and fulfilling hobby!

·
Registered
741 Posts
B44 is awesome. But like everyone says, check to see how many people at your track are racing them. I bought a new one, loaded it up with expensive goodies, then nobody to race. Also agree with the poster that said 2WD racing is more challenging. My first car was a T4, and still my favorite to race. If you do decide on 4WD and want a good deal on a B44 roller, PM me. I have one with very little use.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another thing you may want to consider with a 4wd is shaft vs. belt drive. The XXX-4 and Yokomo are belt, while the B44, Academy, and D4 are shaft drive. Shaft has always been my preference, since there are no belts to stretch out or to have to keep tensioning. And it has always seemed to me that they are easier to work on. But on the other hand, a good belt setup will run very smooth and quiet, where a shaft can seem louder and choppy if it's not built right. About the 2wd that others have suggested, they are cheaper than 4wd and have less to go wrong, which might be good if you're a beginner. Don't be afraid to buy used also. You can find great deals here and on other auction sites, and also from racers at your local track that may be getting rid of something. It's also a great way to find a package deal with everything you need to get running right away.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was disapointed in my B44. Plenty fast, but it was hardly reliable.

Hard to place electonics on. I'm really picky about clean wireing and am not a fan of my wires being ziptied to carbon fibre and only 1/4" away from my drive shaft.

The drive shafts required as much attention as a belt setup would.

I had the classic B44 steering lock up problem. Only known solution is to sell your B44 and get another!:cry: Some have it, some don't. Nobody seems to know why.

Shock shafts are made of crystal glass. You can run Losi shafts in the font shocks.

High maintenance shocks, reward with perfect damping, if you can deal with keeping fresh o-rings in them.

If I get back into 4wd, I'm chasing after the Shumacher or Kyosho Lazer Zx SP. I bring my own commonly used parts, I don't have time to hit the hobby store on racedays.

Leaning towards the Kyosho because it can use Zippy stick packs.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im new to offroad. ive been racing pan cars for years. just want to do something different and i have a track close by. i would rather run 2wd but everyone at the track decides that they want to run something different every year and its 4wd this year. i appreciate all the help and its helpful!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
hes jealous of 4wd laps LOL I run both 2wd and 4wd, 4wd has its challanges to go faster and jump higher so dont listen to this kid hes a spoiled brat
4wd are for losers got with a 2wd take more skill to drive. i would say go to your local track and see what every one is running. then go form there. as for elc i most ppl here are running momba's. i run a hobby wing and i keep up just fine and its a lower end brushless system.

i run 2wd not 4wd.

·
Registered
634 Posts

i run 2wd not 4wd.
i run 2wd buggy and 2wd t4 and 4wd b44 it is way more difficult to run a b44 with 5.5 power than to run the 2wd buggy and trucks with the standard 17.5/13.5 that most tracks run around here sure if you put 17.5 in the b44 it would be easier to drive but most people run mod 4wd and these things are like rocket ships and are way more touchy when in the air than any 2wd so no 2wd is not harder just slower

·
Registered
52 Posts
A B44 with a 10.5 and good batteries is surprisingly fast. Most guys at our track that run it and then a 7.5 or whatever so ohh the 7.5 is so much faster, but lap times dont prove it. Manageable power is where its at!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shimming of the diffs and small steering tweeks are king! Parts availabilty at your track should be considered too. I run a Academy so NOBODY local has parts. Plus side is, the parts are so cheap I keep alot in my toolbox. I too am just starting in 4wd. But for me its great. I'm no spring chicken and the reflex's are slowing so 4wd is just enough more forgiving to keep me in the running.

·
Registered
304 Posts
hes jealous of 4wd laps LOL I run both 2wd and 4wd, 4wd has its challanges to go faster and jump higher so dont listen to this kid hes a spoiled brat
yea wish that was true, would not be running an eveder ext if i was. no i just dont car for 4wd cars i have a 1/8 turggy and i dont car for it to much.

and scramblerman its all about your skill lvl to. someone that has ran for 3,4,5 years has more know how to turn a car then some one with a 1 or less years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts