Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
since i just ran the 4300 class this year i had alot of time to watch the racing and chat with alot of the manufacturers this year. so for those who were not there this is my perspective on things related to oval and the birds.

1) 4200 IB cells alot of racers were having problems with cells venting or one cell in a pack taking a dump while racing. have we reached the end in nimh technology?

2) the hyper drive car seemed to be the car to have at the birds.

3)the hot new center shock is the tamiya shock hyper drive sells.

4)i saw rc4less,tm,bsr,murdock and jaco tires in the A mains.

5)the new HD(proto form) toyota body may be the new HD monte body. i got to look at it and it's sweet. they hit the shelves as early as this thursday.

6) i did not see or hear about a tekin brushless speedo at the birds?noone from tekin that i know of was in attendance either? i wanted to see that speedo in action or on pit row. i hope very soon

7) i did not see one thermal shutdown at the birds either. way to go novak!

8)the latest edtion 4300 motor will come with solder tabs,the ribbed can and bearing and rotor as one package! sweet!

9)rumors of the fast guys in 4300 with 1,000 chips in there speedos? i think it's just rumor they can just set up a car and wheel it better than we can!

10) darkside motor sports will have some oval set-up wheels out in the future and they are sweet!

11)I got to see the new IRS 10th scale axle..it's hollow and lite weight! must have item for 2007

12)rc4less has some new springs coming out! side center and front end..wooooo

13)IRS also has a new lower A arm for 10th and 12th coming out. looks nice.

14) hyper drive will have a complete front end coming out very soon with all the goodies included. not cheap but very nice!

15) the added practice was a welcome idea and the B main bump up's were awesome!

16)larry ruby makes the big show in 19 turn! nice job ruby

17)the D main in 4300 was the best race all day...ok well maybe 6 cell mod was better,lol. cyrul is the man!

18)the new losi micro T fits in a xmas stocking! must have 2007 item!

19) the tech dept checked alot harder and did not allow any shady brushes this year...the racing in 19 turn seemed alot tighter this year? hmmmmm

20)the track was fast all week!

21) the guy in stock 19 turn and 4 cell mod with the yellow body needs to read hobby talk more often. no wing and the rear of his body was not cut out! holy smokes it was bad!

22)rocket miller can still wheel a r/c car

23)tony mofre takes the win in touring oval! bout damn time!i had to give him my car for him to do it! he he he
23A)brooks derting stays more than 5 hours and makes the A main to boot! nice job brooks!

24)the 2007 bird shirts were the best yet! good job dusty.

25)we were done racing by 7 pm on sunday! and ran on schedule most of the week! sometimes ahead of schedule!

26)the A/C in my room worked!

27)power push batteries wins a couple A mains in oval! nice job tony!

28)local boy troy meredith who has just started back racing oval here in florida(just over a year of racing under his belt) makes the A main in pro 19 turn and pro 4 cell mod! noce job troy!

29)frank ulbrik wrenched on 60% of all the cars at the birds...or close to it! wow!

30)last but not least...there was a racer at the birds in 4 cell stock oval who was in a wheel chair..i'm sorry i don't know his name...he was handicapped ....and i know if most of us were dealt the hand in life he was we would be sitting at home feeling sorry for ourselves and mad at the world....NOT THIS GUY! he ran 4 cell stock with maybe over 80 entries...he finished in the top 20!!!! he did all his own work on his cars and got 0 help from anyone! we all can/should learn a lesson from him..i watched him race and i know anyone can do anything they want in life..you just have to go out and do it. i didn't want to offend him in any way....i just want to say he is an amazing person!we should all be half the man he is.

please if you were at the birds add to the list!

congrats top all the winners !

BIG THANKS TO THE THUNDER CREW
MIKE BOYLAN
JULIE BOYLAN
MIKES FAMILY
BEAN
CURT
MEL
SPICER
TONY PADILLA (PICS)
ALL THE SPONSORS

I THINK 2007 WAS ONE OF THE BEST BIRDS YET!
THE TV COVERAGE IN THE ROOMS WAS A NICE TOUCH.

2008 PREDICTIONS

THE 4300 CLASS DWARFS ALL OTHER OVAL CLASSES
13.5 CLASS WILL BE ADDED
19 TURN WILL BE JUST ONE CLASS NO PRO OR SPORTSMAN
STOCK CLASS SHRINKS

SPRINTS,TOURING OVAL AND 6 CELL MOD WILL HAVE TO BE LOOKED AT..LESS THAN 50 ENTRIES WITH ALL 3 ADDED TOGETHER.

TWO ROUNDS OF PRACTICE WAS A BIT MUCH MAYBE ONE ROUND AND THE REST CONTROLLED PRACTICE?

will we all be using lipo by than?

thanks mike for a great birds

william sell

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
great recap Bill! I would have to agree on the best birds yet, I wasn't there but watched diligently online all week. It looked like a great time for all and I would have to agree with your brushless prediction. Don't know much about lipo's yet but rc-oval has a great artical on it, thanks Lin. See you guys in Daytona!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Awesome recap..............................

JOHN B is just challenged more than some. (sorry I just don't like the {handicapped} word)
He is one straight up dude and can wheel the crap outta a RC car.
We met at the 2006 Paved Oval Nat's in Henderson,TN. Hats off to JOHN B
He can pit with us anytime anywhere.....................

C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Kat.. nice recap.

Couple of questions I had.

1) What was the hot speedo to have ? Quantum Sphere? was Tekin FX Pro out ? Did LRP ever release a Q3?

2) Any new chargers unveiled ?

3) Kat, who was the manufacturer of the HD Toyota body ?

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
erock1331 said:
Kat.. nice recap.

1) What was the hot speedo to have ? Quantum Sphere? was Tekin FX Pro out ? Did LRP ever release a Q3? One that did not melt down and catch fire (Johnny Broyles)

2) Any new chargers unveiled ? CE Turbo Matcher 8

It's called the "THD" and it will be available from Protoform on thursday. It includes headlights for what looks like a Toyota, dodge, and Chevy?????

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good job Katfish! I felt like I was almost there! ;) I hope we will be running Lipo's. I don't want to buy a Battery Nurse. :(

Congrat's Ruby!!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
erock1331 said:
Kat.. nice recap.

1) What was the hot speedo to have ? Quantum Sphere? was Tekin FX Pro out ? Did LRP ever release a Q3?

2) Any new chargers unveiled ?

1. both no Tekin fx and the Q3 has been scrapt.

2 no

3 protoform

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
katf1sh said:
since i just ran the 4300 class this year i had alot of time to watch the racing and chat with alot of the manufacturers this year. so for those who were not there this is my perspective on things related to oval and the birds.

1) 4200 IB cells alot of racers were having problems with cells venting or one cell in a pack taking a dump while racing. have we reached the end in nimh technology?

2) the hyper drive car seemed to be the car to have at the birds.

3)the hot new center shock is the tamiya shock hyper drive sells.

4)i saw rc4less,tm,bsr and jaco tires in the A mains.

5)the new HD toyota body may be the new HD monte body. i got to look at it and it's sweet. they hit the shelves as early as this thursday.

6) i did not see or hear about a tekin brushless speedo at the birds?noone from tekin that i know of was in attendance either? i wanted to see that speedo in action or on pit row. i hope very soon

7) i did not see one thermal shutdown at the birds either. way to go novak!

8)the latest edtion 4300 motor will come with solder tabs,the ribbed can and bearing and rotor as one package! sweet!

9)rumors of the fast guys in 4300 with 1,000 chips in there speedos? i think it's just rumor they can just set up a car and wheel it better than we can!

10) darkside motor sports will have some oval set-up wheels out in the future and they are sweet!

11)I got to see the new IRS 10th scale axle..it's hollow and lite weight! msut have item for 2007

12)rc4less has some new springs coming out! side center and front end..wooooo

13)IRS also has a new lower A arm for 10th and 12th coming out. looks nice.

14) hyper drive will have a complete front end coming out very soon with all the goodies included. not cheap but very nice!

15) the added practice was a welcome idea and the B main bump up's were awesome!

16)larry ruby makes the big show in 19 turn! nice job ruby

17)the D main in 4300 was the best race all day...ok wel maybe 6 cell mod was better,lol. cyrul is the man!

18)the new losi micro T fits in a xmas stocking! must have 2007 item!

19) the tech dept checked alot harder and did not allow any shady brushes this year...the racing in 19 turn seemed alot tighter this year? hmmmmm

20)the track was fast all week!

21) the guy in stock 19 turn and 4 cell mod with the yellow body needs to read hobby talk more often. no wing and the rear of his body was not cut out! holy smokes it was bad!

22)rocket miller can still wheel a r/c car

23)tony mofre takes the win in touring oval! bout damn time!i had to give him my car for him to do it! he he he

24)the 2007 bird shirts were the best yet! good job dusty.

25)we were done racing by 7 pm on sunday! and ran on schedule most of the week! sometimes ahead of schedule!

26)the A/C in my room worked!

27)power push batteries wins a couple A mains in oval! nice job tony!

28)local boy troy meredith who sometimes struggles to make the A mains kicks butt and makes the A main in pro 19 turn and 4 cell mod! noce job troy!

29)frank ulbrik wrenched on 60% of all the cars at the birds...or close to it! wow!

30)last but not least...there was a racer at the birds in 4 cell stock oval who was in a wheel chair..i'm sorry i don't know his name...he was handicapped ....and i know if most of us were dealt the hand in life he was we would be sitting at home feeling sorry for ourselves and mad at the world....NOT THIS GUY! he ran 4 cell stock with maybe over 80 entries...he finished in the top 20!!!! he did all his own work on his cars and got 0 help from anyone! we all can/should learn a lesson from him..i watched him race and i know anyone can do anything they want in life..you just have to go out and do it. i didn't want to offend him in any way....i just want to say he is an amazing person!we should all be half the man he is.

please if you were at the birds add to the list!

congrats top all the winners !

BIG THANKS TO THE THUNDER CREW
MIKE BOYLAN
JULIE BOYLAN
MIKES FAMILY
BEAN
CURT
MEL
SPICER
TONY PADILLA (PICS)
ALL THE SPONSORS

I THINK 2007 WAS ONE OF THE BEST BIRDS YET!
THE TV COVERAGE IN THE ROOMS WAS A NICE TOUCH.

2008 PREDICTIONS

THE 4300 CLASS DWARFS ALL OTHER OVAL CLASSES
13.5 CLASS WILL BE ADDED
19 TURN WILL BE JUST ONE CLASS NO PRO OR SPORTSMAN
STOCK CLASS SHRINKS

SPRINTS,TOURING OVAL AND 6 CELL MOD WILL HAVE TO BE LOOKED AT..LESS THAN 50 ENTRIES WITH ALL 3 ADDED TOGETHER.

TWO ROUNDS OF PRACTICE WAS A BIT MUCH MAYBE ONE ROUND AND THE REST CONTROLLED PRACTICE?

will we all be using lipo by than?

thanks mike for a great birds

william sell
I think we should keep the TC Oval, Sprints, and the 6-cell mod classes. Each class is different and has it's own perks. TC Oval runs truck bodies, Sprints are well...........Sprint Cars, and 6-cell Mod is just plain nasty and fun as hell to watch.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I learned at the snowbirds this year ........ I still need alot more practice on carpet ........... but heck i knew that going in .......... I had a blast .......... good to see everyone !

My suggestion for 2008 ....... NO practice by heat racing ...... thats the same difference as having the club races. Scrap the practice races and offer controlled practice during that time period ........... more track time is a must have at the snowbirds.

Congratulations to Brooks Derting for making the A main in 4 cell stock at the birds. He had a fast hot rod and moved to the front ........ nice job Brooks.

Thanks Brooks for the help with my sled, it was better by the end of the weekend.

Thanks to Tony @ PRS, RC4less Tires, SMC and Hambone Designs for their support.

Cya all next year,

Rich Boehmler

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Thanks Kat, finally all of the hard work paid off.

Big thanks to Barry at Hyperdrive and Rob at Corally for the best damn TC Oval car out there, Mike and Larry at PRS for making this whole thing possible, Eric at EA Motorsports for the mad HP and voltage, Paul at PARMA for the hook up on tires, Rick at Finishline for bags-o-brushes, Dave at IRS for the sweet trick axles and shocks, Jody for the sick paint job, and all of my Homies at Team Donkey Punch (Bush, Humpty, Russell, Brooksie, Flippy, Logan, Yatsie, Card, Peggy, ya'll know who you are)

I am glad to be home though, I missed my wife and daughter.

EXTRA Special thanks to Mike Russell for the good luck charm and the tire knowledge. Has your back healed yet from the flame thrower homie? lol

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
cneyedog said:
I learned at the snowbirds this year ........ I still need alot more practice on carpet ........... but heck i knew that going in .......... I had a blast .......... good to see everyone !

My suggestion for 2008 ....... NO practice by heat racing ...... thats the same difference as having the club races. Scrap the practice races and offer controlled practice during that time period ........... more track time is a must have at the snowbirds.

Congratulations to Brooks Derting for making the A main in 4 cell stock at the birds. He had a fast hot rod and moved to the front ........ nice job Brooks.

Thanks Brooks for the help with my sled, it was better by the end of the weekend.

Thanks to Tony @ PRS, RC4less Tires, SMC and Hambone Designs for their support.

Cya all next year,

Rich Boehmler
It would be great if some of the practice was in between the quailifiers instead of all of it before.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I got to really check out the new PF camry AKA T HD, and also got to meet Dale Epp The new body is another work of art and Dale is a great guy as much of a race junkie as the rest of us.

Doug P

·
Registered
662 Posts
katfish, i was not at the birds but i have noticed that these newer batches of cells have been venting alot not sure why there not over heating and i hear them hissing most of the time 1 cell in a pack. nothing oozing from them yet but what is going on? anyone else seeing this more and more? thanks
Brad Sousa
Team
Voodoo cells
Lightspeed racing motors
Finishline racing products
Beefy products

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yeah, What he said.

katf1sh said:
Kaf1sh says what others think. When others think they shouldn't say it:thumbsup:

This guy should be a role model for anyone who has ever decided that they just can't get around to getting done what needs to done.

John B, We've not met but you are/were amazing to see. You got around as good if not better than most at the race, You drove like all racers should but few do and when it was all said and done you held your head higher than most and you did'nt win your main. Oh yeah, the fact that you placed higher than about 80 percent of the racers in your class says something too. You're a racer who challenges. Not a challenged racer. Race on!

·
Registered
28 Posts
misinformation

katfish I havent missed an A main in the state since i got the R.I.P. ride some 7 months ago,and did decent at the masters as well thanks to a great suport team. Thanks for the ink though.I know it was well meant! thanks troy meridith p.s. Murdoc tires were in 2 A mains I know of !!

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
David Butts said:
Kaf1sh says what others think. When others think they shouldn't say it:thumbsup:

This guy should be a role model for anyone who has ever decided that they just can't get around to getting done what needs to done.

John B, We've not met but you are/were amazing to see. You got around as good if not better than most at the race, You drove like all racers should but few do and when it was all said and done you held your head higher than most and you did'nt win your main. Oh yeah, the fact that you placed higher than about 80 percent of the racers in your class says something too. You're a racer who challenges. Not a challenged racer. Race on!

man this is great all you guys with such great things to say just makes me want to go at it that much harder!!!!!!! nothing can bring me down!!! CMON

·
Registered
537 Posts
GA DAWG said:
katfish I havent missed an A main in the state since i got the R.I.P. ride some 7 months ago,and did decent at the masters as well thanks to a great suport team. Thanks for the ink though.I know it was well meant! thanks troy meridith p.s. Murdoc tires were in 2 A mains I know of !!
Nice job at the 'Birds Troy. Sounds like you were hooked up. :thumbsup:

SL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts