Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how does each one affect an oval car? I realize all 1/10th pan cars have 0 degree, but what would happen if I ran something different?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Greasy Steve said:
So how does each one affect an oval car? I realize all 1/10th pan cars have 0 degree, but what would happen if I ran something different?

Keep in mind that the angled caster blocks do not give you 10 degrees of static caster. They give you reactive caster. Another words as the suspension compresses the the caster angle decreases (the top of the kingpin pivots forward). No one really does this in oval anymore. It will make the car quite twitchy. It is mostly used in roadcourse racing.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Even with the zero degree blocks (except when running zero castor) you get reative castor as the suspension works. In todays racing, where it's mostly 4 cell stock there's normally no need for them. But when running faster classes 4 cell or 6 cell mod they are still used by some and even in the slower classes at some tracks.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
MIKE VALENTINE said:
Even with the zero degree blocks (except when running zero castor) you get reative castor as the suspension works. In todays racing, where it's mostly 4 cell stock there's normally no need for them. But when running faster classes 4 cell or 6 cell mod they are still used by some and even in the slower classes at some tracks.
I was amazed at how many guys were running ASC 5 degree caster blocks in mod at the Birds, and have seen some of that trickle down into 4300 too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
With a zero block you have some dive (AE calls it reactive caster) in the car but if you run the 5 or 10 degree blocks then you get even more dive. If they went the other way you would have anti-dive. Were they running them on the rf or lf? Just curious as I would think it wouldn't be a good thing on the rf but maybe that would help the car turn a little. On big cars they run dive in the lf and anti-dive in the rf to help the car get and stay on the lf tire.

·
Registered
450 Posts
vwal said:
With a zero block you have some dive (AE calls it reactive caster) in the car but if you run the 5 or 10 degree blocks then you get even more dive. If they went the other way you would have anti-dive. Were they running them on the rf or lf? Just curious as I would think it wouldn't be a good thing on the rf but maybe that would help the car turn a little. On big cars they run dive in the lf and anti-dive in the rf to help the car get and stay on the lf tire.
I always took it for granted there wouldn't be anti dive characteristics on a rc car since there was no brakes on the frt wheels to push agaainst the suspensionat what ever angle it was at. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
SDL98 said:
I always took it for granted there wouldn't be anti dive characteristics on a rc car since there was no brakes on the frt wheels to push agaainst the suspensionat what ever angle it was at. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking
Caster on r/c cars is one of those things that does not really
compare that closely with real cars..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts