Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you have any no name cars in your collection with only the copy right date of 1988 on their bases?

Are they (still) adorned with label type stickers?

Perhaps even some still in their original packaging? :lurk5:

So, just what are these obscurely known or ever talked about diecasts.

In their book, on small diecast manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber references them to be a collection of assorted castings put together by a yet unknown maker. And that they were primarily sold in sets of 3 cars and truck(s) or individually on blister cards. The only base markings these castings carry are a copy right date of 1988, but they do have drive train and suspension details on the ones I could find a base photo of as well. Most all of the ones, I was able to find by searching the WWW have black base pieces. But, the Chevy pickup does come with a chromed base to include the front grill/bumper and light detail to be done in a chrome finish as well.

The Dodge Charger is the one most often discussed - as it has the front push bar that the General Lee Charger used, in the Dukes of Hazard TV series. It is usually attributed to being a copy of the Welly-Yatming-? progression of Charger castings released previously. Other castings are said to be ex-Universal and others as unreferenced brands.

A proposal Kimmo Sahakangas puts forward is based on the observance that these castings became more and more unrecognizable as production runs followed due to the molds wearing away. His premise is that Gingell Diecast Manufacturing Ltd. who is also known for this same type of casting mold deterioration over time - in their own production runs - is maybe the company also responsible for making these castings. Gingell products though often had their Rhinoceros head logo with 'GG' lettering on their bases. They are also often referrred to as Rhino Toys based on their product packaging information. Most castings found in my search also have the dark blue window piece that Rhino is known for and Sahakangas, Foster & Weber note early castings have no interiors as in their book on Small Diecast Manufacturers. Another common trait of known Rhino castings.

Confirmation of his premise has not been confirmed to date. :cheers2:

Here are a few of the castings I was able to find.

(1977?) - Chevrolet Corvette (yellow-orange)
1980 - Chevrolet Pickup(blue with white bed cover, roll bar and running lights)
1980 - Chevrolet Pickup (green missing bed insert)
1980 - Chevrolet Pickup (classic white)
1980 - Chevrolet Pickup (blue with orange slide in camper shell)
1980 - Chevrolet Pickup (blue with blue slide in camper shell, and black base)

1969 Dodge Charger (lime green)

(????) Ford Mustang (kelly green)

1979 Mazda RX-7 (black)

1983 Mercedes 380 SEL (silver)

1978 Ferrari (Berlinetta Boxer) BB512

???? - Peterbuilt Semi (black) with (white) reefer box

(late '70s) - Pontiac Firebird (classic white)
(early '90s) - Pontiac Firebird (red)

Other contributors @Diecaster62

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! First pickup I have seen with a black base. I am also surprised to see one posted so fast. But, even more pleased that it was. :cheers2:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Nice! First pickup I have seen with a black base. I am also surprised to see one posted so fast. But, even more pleased that it was. :cheers2:
My favourite part of the hobby is finding these oddball castings made by some of the lesser known makers. Since I recently found that casting it was timely that you made this thread! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a pretty good rummage through all the loose boxes of diecast at the toy show today - no luck in finding any more, but the search will continue - now that I know what to look for.

:cheers2:

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A ran across another brand - Lucky Industries - noted to have a copy right date of 1988 found on their packaging, but they also had their brand name on the base without a copy right date, too. Their known castings list do not match up fully to the known casting listings shown above either. The castings names do both have a Covette and a Mercedes listed.

A comparison of castings should be done as new ones appear in either list.

:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the other 1988 copy right date reference I remembered from the Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers by Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006). This one is for Dil which also has an association with Deles, both companies were based in China. The common details are the 1988 copy right date and an unidentified Ferrari model in the Dil (5) pack casting list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts