Moebius 1:6 Robot B9 - Planning what to put in it. - Page 5 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseeker View Post
Oh, great Gary, all this silence from you means that you were just sitting around gloating over your Robot pulls? I thought it meant you were busy on a 1/350 K'Tinga or something. (You know there's not one person on any modelling forum anywhere on earth who doesn't want one!)
So enough fooling around with your Robot already - get back to work!
(I'd add a smiley there but I really [growley] hate them.)
B9 took up a huge chunk of my time for the past several years, and now the 11" Galileo shuttlecraft is doing the same. I probably shouldn't go to all the work, but I'm drawing plans accurate enough to build a full-scale shuttle, inside & out, and then I'll let the guys at the factory simplify it for a kit. Working on the dashboard this afternoon. I've GOT to take a vacation after these plans are done - and maybe even build a kit someday!

Gary
Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Seriously, Gary, the work you've done on the Robot is absolutely mind-boggling. Can't wait to see the Galileo and hear more about the design discoveries you hinted at many, many months ago. I don't know about this vacation business, tho. That would be just to re-charge your energy levels before tackling a few more Irwin Allen subjects, and the K'Tinga, wouldn't it?
Others have said, and I have to chime in belatedly, thank you for all your efforts in ensuring this stunning kit is as stunning as it is. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Hope you have a great, productive, and relaxing New Year!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Gary, we, your fans, salute you. Take a vacation AND build a kit.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseeker View Post
Seriously, Gary, the work you've done on the Robot is absolutely mind-boggling. Can't wait to see the Galileo and hear more about the design discoveries you hinted at many, many months ago. I don't know about this vacation business, tho. That would be just to re-charge your energy levels before tackling a few more Irwin Allen subjects, and the K'Tinga, wouldn't it?
Others have said, and I have to chime in belatedly, thank you for all your efforts in ensuring this stunning kit is as stunning as it is. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Hope you have a great, productive, and relaxing New Year!
Thanks (and to Chrisisall, too) for the nice comments. Making corrections to test shots & 3D computer models isn't usually a big deal, but I need a short sabbatical from heavy-duty research & drafting to recharge my batteries and get various aspects of my life & house back in order. Due to various circumstances I'm pretty worn out at the moment. Btw, I'm not aware of any more Irwin Allen subjects or K'Tingas at the moment, but then again I'm not privy to all of Frank's & Jamie's plans.

Gary
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM

My Photos

Finish the shuttle first.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkarma View Post
Finish the shuttle first.
Nag, nag, nag.

I've got over 40 sheets of detail drawings of the exterior so far, and now I'm plugging away on the interior plans. Hopefully overkill on the plans will lead to fewer mistakes in the initial 3D computer model - esp. on a subject like the Galileo, which has a number of curves, angles, a,d oddball shapes.

Gary

Last edited by Gary K; 01-12-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Umm... not to nag or anything... but, ummm... howz about a 1/24 Airwolf-? Like, not tomorrow, but in the next few months?

LOL, like you're not busy ENOUGH.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

With regard to the finger lights undulating movement in the 1:1 replicas; it is done by having the rods pinned at the outer neck circumference to give them an axis to pivot on. The inward end sits on a rotating cam, which causes the undulating motion in the rods. Think of a batch of see-saws with kids on the outside ends and a couple of kids taking turns jumping on the insides.

The reason it only got used in the very early episodes of the show were two fold.
It was a) finicky and prone to jamming and stopping, and b) when it was running the motor was so loud it was drowning out the dialogue being recorded on set. For the sake of not having to ADR the cast whenever they had scenes with the robot, it was kiboshed along with the rotating red and yellow antennas (clear acrylic in season 1). Here endeth the history lesson...

Like other B9 club members have stated, it wouldn't be impossible, but it would be devilishly hard to achieve at 1:6 scale. I've got a cam, I'd be happy to photograph if anybody wants to see it. It's sitting in the shed with my tread section, radar, and brain. Yes, that's as far as I've gotten in my 1:1 build.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzyMandias View Post
With regard to the finger lights undulating movement in the 1:1 replicas; it is done by having the rods pinned at the outer neck circumference to give them an axis to pivot on. The inward end sits on a rotating cam, which causes the undulating motion in the rods. Think of a batch of see-saws with kids on the outside ends and a couple of kids taking turns jumping on the insides.

The reason it only got used in the very early episodes of the show were two fold.
It was a) finicky and prone to jamming and stopping, and b) when it was running the motor was so loud it was drowning out the dialogue being recorded on set. For the sake of not having to ADR the cast whenever they had scenes with the robot, it was kiboshed along with the rotating red and yellow antennas (clear acrylic in season 1). Here endeth the history lesson...

Like other B9 club members have stated, it wouldn't be impossible, but it would be devilishly hard to achieve at 1:6 scale. I've got a cam, I'd be happy to photograph if anybody wants to see it. It's sitting in the shed with my tread section, radar, and brain. Yes, that's as far as I've gotten in my 1:1 build.
You can actually hear how loud the mechanism was in "And There Were Giants in the Earth" when Dr. Smith removes his power pack at the beginning of the episode as he is talking to the Robot.

I have all but the feet for my 1:1 Robot, everything else is crated up in my garage, so don't feel bad!!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Heck, I would love to see a 1:1 scale model. No one brings them to conventions.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Misery loves company, hey RSN

I'd love to see mine as more than just parts! I've done a 1:1 Dalek (long since sold). The B9 is on my bucket list. If I don't get a move on I may end up running out of time!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Gary. It is time to remove your Power Pack for a while.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Thanks for the offer Ozy! If you don't mind, could you post a picture of the fingers mechanism? Thanks.

Last edited by Fernando Mureb; 01-14-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM

My Photos

How's about putting my heart,my soul and my amount of love
into it?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Hang in there Gary! And if you need time off for a vacation, the mature members of this forum would understand. We just appreciate that you're willing to do the research for kits we wished we had when we were younger.
  HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models