Robinson model figures - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 PM

My Photos

Robinson model figures

Gosh, I wish someone could make model figures of the Robinsons scaled for the Polar Lights Jupiter 2!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ckriegj2-02.jpg (41.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg 01%20TV%20Magazine%20Journal%20American%2001%202-18-11.jpg (184.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg68 View Post
Gosh, I wish someone could make model figures of the Robinsons scaled for the Polar Lights Jupiter 2!
When you get into likneses, you have to deal with the rights holder and or the actor involved. The Dr. Smith kit from Polar Lights did not bear a strong resemblance to Jonathan Harris for this reason I believe.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSN View Post
When you get into likneses, you have to deal with the rights holder and or the actor involved. The Dr. Smith kit from Polar Lights did not bear a strong resemblance to Jonathan Harris for this reason I believe.
At that scale for the PL Jupiter 2, likenesses would be hard to duplicate. A generic head on a body painted the correct uniform colors would be more than enough to know who it represented without violating the actors rights.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:54 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by liskorea317 View Post
At that scale for the PL Jupiter 2, likenesses would be hard to duplicate. A generic head on a body painted the correct uniform colors would be more than enough to know who it represented without violating the actors rights.
Yup, that is the only way to go.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

My Photos

Just a thought, what scale are the figures that come with the Polar lights Cyclops kit? Don't have mine handy to measure.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Id say they are too big for the PL kit.

Z
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Why are we even talking about the Polar Lights Jupiter 2, Moebius did not produce it?!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSN View Post
It is for this reason I do not really want model figures for my Moebius J2. If they cannot look like the actors but instead look like department store dummies, then I will settle for a lone robot B9 to stand watch. I guess the robot's likeness doesn't upset anyone.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

I agree with RSN that this is not the place to discuss anything other than Moebius kits. However, I will answer this one question on the PL J2, and then suggest that we move on.

The design goal of the PL J2 was different than the Moebius in that there was an attempt to reconcile the upper deck to the hero miniature contours by expanding the working radius. As such, certain liberties had to be taken with respect to spreading out the various components to the extent that it was not a match for the actual studio set. The concept is neither better nor worse than the Moebius approach, but simply different. The tooling and execution are obviously superior on the Moebius model.

As a result, the PL J2 scale is also quite different, despite the reference to 1/48 in the manual (which I never agreed with). Now, if you reference the scale of projected figures to the heights of the hatches and freezing tubes, which is something that I always advocated, some choices do become available.

My suggestion is to hunt down a kit of the old "Invaders" spaceship model, as it contains a number of figures that, when painted properly, become very believable selected members of the Robinson family. I actually used two of these for my scratch build, and I believe Cult still has the images on line. The one holding the microphone (on my model) looks remarkably like John Robinson.

I hope this helps.
Ron G.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2 builder View Post
It is for this reason I do not really want model figures for my Moebius J2. If they cannot look like the actors but instead look like department store dummies, then I will settle for a lone robot B9 to stand watch. I guess the robot's likeness doesn't upset anyone.
Take a look at Tim Nolan's wonderful double Chariot build here in this forum, complete with figures. Thats as good as they will get and they are a larger 1/24 scale.
But they still bring the things to life!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 PM

My Photos

Robinson model figures 1:26 scale, 'one-of-a-kind set' (private collector)

Rights holder(s)! That's why I went a different route (as a private collector) and had my 1/26 scale Robinson famliy sets constructed (circa '2007) privately as a 'one-of-a- kind' project. Even at 1:26 scale there is a very strong facial and body recognition to the actors especially the three adult figures of, Guy Williams as Prof. John Robinson, June Lockhart as Dr. Maureen Robinson and Mark Goddard as Major Donald West. The scale figures complement my commissioned 1/26 scale, 24 inch diameter J2 ... Oops! Please note these figures are not being reproduced at any scale and therefore zero profit! "Please, no inquires regarding of casting copies!" I'm just sharing on what can be done by going the extra ($k) mile in ones 'unique-private collection'!
i.e. Prof. John Robinson, 1:26 scale (just under 3" inches tall), in "Cryo-sleep" mode, set #1 of 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReducedSize4PBCopyrightIMG_0981BEG.jpg (62.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg ReducedSize4PBCopyrightIMG_0984.jpg (72.8 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by WEAPON X; 02-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Additional photos to share...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

At 1/24th or 1/35th scale,it's too small for a noticable resemblance.Just call them Space Explorers and avoid any lawsuits this way.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM

My Photos

When the PL J2 was the only ship out there, there was an aftermarket figure of the Robinson made for the scale. I still have them as well as the other aftermarket parts for that ship like accurate seats for the front of the ship, lighting, even a large display base with sound.

Michael
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 PM

My Photos

Why the Heck does'nt somebody recast the old 60's Remco "Switch n Go" set,they were Very nice figures with great details. They are worth a pretty penny now. I would DEFINATELY buy 2 sets!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonman27 View Post
Why the Heck does'nt somebody recast the old 60's Remco "Switch n Go" set,they were Very nice figures with great details. They are worth a pretty penny now. I would DEFINATELY buy 2 sets!
They have been...
  HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models