Enterprise refit 1/350 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Model Lighting
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 PM

My Photos

Enterprise refit 1/350

I'm looking for a (low cost) lighting kit for the Polar Lights,Enterprise refit 1/350.
I all ready have a flasher board and just need the lights.
If I wanted to put the light kit together myself is there is there a light list and diagram
of some kind that I could download?
I am new to this and I don't really know what I'm doing
Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Man, join the club. I'll be working on a Nautilus and Time Machine and have no idea what to do. But I'm sure somebody will chime in here in no time, and there are plenty of lighting threads dealing with Star Trek stuff. Also check out modeltrainsoftware.com, lots of great stuff at good prices and the guys there really know about models. There is also a thread where I inquired about a remote controll unit so you just sit back and turn on your lights from afar. Model on, dude.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Look at this stuff.
http://starling-tech.com/

These kits are plug and play..really the only hard work is modifying the starship.

If you already have a board..do you know how to connect the lights and resistors?

Starships are BIG projects, if you haven't played with leds and boards before..try a smaller project first to get an idea of what is involved.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthestings View Post
I'm the same.
Yeah, check out the Starling stuff, IMO it's GREAT for total electronics newbies. No soldering!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbrush View Post
Man, join the club. I'll be working on a Nautilus and Time Machine and have no idea what to do. But I'm sure somebody will chime in here in no time, and there are plenty of lighting threads dealing with Star Trek stuff. Also check out modeltrainsoftware.com, lots of great stuff at good prices and the guys there really know about models. There is also a thread where I inquired about a remote controll unit so you just sit back and turn on your lights from afar. Model on, dude.
Call me if you are looking for lighting for your Nautilus kit. Randy 1-650-568-3400 www.voodoofx.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nautlius LK.jpg (42.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Randy, you know I will. I have your number on speed-dial on my rotary phone. And many thanks. This is one of the reasons I'm selling a bunch of models.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Modeler's Brand

My Photos

Quote:
I'm looking for a (low cost) lighting kit for the Polar Lights,Enterprise refit 1/350.
If I wanted to put the light kit together myself is there is there a light list and diagram
Thanks.
Hey there, 'Stings! Welcome to hobbytalk. There are lots of good people here that can help you as you go with every aspect of building that beautiful kit.

As to me, I established Modelers Brand Hobby Supplies specifically for people like us -just starting their electrical adventures and looking for affordable prices.

As you already have the blinker boards, I can get you all the LEDs you need to light the kit. Whether it's LED Supply Packs in several sizes and quantities or the best looking and easiest nacelle lighting option out there. Not to mention power supplies, switches and basically everything you need to light any kit you can name.

I don't, and won't, carry pre-wired blinker boards. They are the purview of other after-marketers out there.

Gimme a shout anytime for one stop LED gear shoppping.
Best wishes on your new adventure,
Tom
www.modelersbrand.com

P.S. I also carry remote control key fobs for turning any 12v, DC-powered lights on or off -and you can even dim them up to 35 subtle levels too!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 AM

My Photos

Here is what my kit looks like in the model kit... Call me anytime Randy 1-650-568-3400 www.voodoofx.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1701-A Refit 1.jpg (46.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Thanks.
Consider using LED strip lighting to light the interior. It's much easier to use LED strip lights than to wire up and situate a bunch of LEDs. There are many vendors on this board that provide quality LED strip lights that are easy to use.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM

My Photos

I just ordered the 1/350 Enterprise and was wondering about the lighting. Does the kit come with directions or suggestions on how to light it, or is it all up to the imagination of the builder? My wiring/electrical skills are not the issue. I want to know where to put the lights, what color and intensity, etc. Where could one get some guidance on this?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

The kit(s) don't have any suggestions that I've seen on lighting.
R2 has said that the new 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise kit will have a seperate lighting kit available that is designed for the kit.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 PM

My Photos

This kit is one of the reasons I got back into model building. I have done lots of research and the net is full of good info on lighting this kit. As far as low cost lighting I have watched a lot of modelmans stuff on the led tape and all I can say is wow. After playing around with loose LEDs and resistors and trying to get the effects that I am looking for the led tape seems great I will be ordering some soon. good luck on your build and best of luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 PM

My Photos

I got my 1/350 TMP Enterprise yesterday. Must say it's quite intimidating. After looking over the contents of the box and the instructions, I'm tempted to put it back in the box and quietly tiptoe away. The Jupiter 2 was a piece of cake compared to this thing, mostly because I was more familiar with it. I instantly recognized every part in the box on the J2, but not so with this.

The instructions are minimal help, they identify the pieces and colors but that's about it. I'm also at a loss as to how to light it, guess I didn't pay close enough attention during those Trek movies. I'll probably cough up the dough and get a pre-engineered lighting kit. I don't think I will mess with the arboretum and the officers lounge, not worth the effort to just be able to peep through small holes through blurry plastic to get a glimpse of these. The hanger bay looks interesting, but again a lot of work for something that is closed up unless the door is left open.

Lots and lots of little bitty windows. The pieces with windows will have to be finish painted before they are installed. Therefore, it can't be assembled before it is painted. Lighting will also affect assembly, so the instructions are pretty much worthless. Really just trying to get a game plan together right now, maybe watching some youtube videos will give me some ideas.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Modeler's Brand

My Photos

The lights are different depending on which movie you watch. I put this together a few years ago for the TMP lighters out there.

When ILM took over the vfx, they changed the purple engines to blue, took down a lot of the hull accents, but I think blink rates and similar stayed the same.