the next 2 thuunderjet releases from autoworld - Page 4 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Slot Cars > Slot Car Box Stock & Collecting
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Model Murdering

My Photos

Alles Klaar

Oh jeez....girl flames???

Now we got cooties too?!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

485, Bless you for recognizing my intent...or not misinterpreting it. We welcome your involvment whole heartedly; and hope we can all keep a dialouge rocking along and not have this thread turn into just another polarized autoworld flame out.

Admittedly, I do get a bit wound up about cars....big wunz....lil wunz....I estimate their damage and fix them in my head when I drive by them or when they drive by me. I judge their styling, fit, finish, artistry, and intent... RUTHLESSLY everywhere I go. It's just the by product of a very long, dusty, greasy automotive resume'. Y'all got plenty of folks falling over themselves to break their arms patting you on the back. However when the Emporer has no clothes, you'll generally find me sulking in the corner holding my severed tongue. I just shot off my big mouth to break it up for a change.

As for the airbrush deal; A quick look at the HT diecast archives will reveal that jaw dropping flamework in both the classic and representational styles is being executed at a very high level on a regular basis. As a consumer, MUO (my useless opinion) is that you'll sell more by remaining faithful to an established 1:1 styling in the actual model application.

With all due respect, I'm sensing a blending of church and state where the pizzazz and pop of the marketing and packaging department is coloring off their canvas and into the paintbooth. They are two distincly different arenas and yer feet should be wiped clean before entering either one. Yes the packaging should be jazzy fer the kiddies; but when you hold the model in your hand, you want it to pull you in with it's artistry, depth and refinement, the allure if you will. Popping me in the eye with jazzy expressions of artistic freedom after I've thrown the packaging away only tightens the grip on my wallet.

In retrospect, perhaps a division of sorts is in order ...where a limited run of a particularly nice model is produced in a Gold Series Collector Edition and diverges from the.... gulp....forgive me.....happy meal version. A reconstruct/almagamation/metamorphasis of the I-Wheels or the Candy versions....ya know?

Some of us are looking for more soul and less volume. It's why we build the things we do.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Most Interesting Member

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBI View Post
A wise old painter once told me "There is nothing cooler than a good flame job, and nothing worse than a bad one"
Wise indeed. I think a close second to that is a fade. It's either great, or it's terrible.
I can't tell you how many custom cars and trucks I've seen that
look like someone ran simply ran out of paint. Splatter in the fade is even worse.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Wow, honest two way dialogue....... and polite too.

I have always been a bit confused with the AW tjet line and dressing some releases up in, uh, vibrant toy colors. Yer average kid or even teenager doesn't recognize or much care anything about cars from the 1960's or early 1970's. And a square-cornered Riviera or Nova looks like the antique it really now is to anyone under 30. Yeah, graphicly (sp?) they are interesting and fun, but these aren't 98 cent Hot Wheels where junior gets the shiny one for keeping still in the buggy. Funny how a lot of kids my son's age see all but the newest Corvette as an old guys' car because that's who they see driving them.

Coolest slots to me? Not counting value of cars crafted or restored by friends here, I find with my own lil' cars the ones that have the most appeal to me from a purely aesthetic view are:

Originals, not repops and updates of originals. I don't even care so much for the final resprays of the originals (Xlerators, etc) because they were clearly reaching at the time... still sitting at the bar at last call, if you will. A little more make-up can't hurt LMAO

The well-proportioned, finely detailed "scale models" like MM's GTEE O Tiger and RRR's Mach One. More expensive but worth it.

The few exceptionally well done customs I own and couldn't do myself if my life depended on it. Zilla's fantastic Hooter's trucks and van come to mind, as do nutherdave's racers. They look like kool kustoms or rolling diecast, not kiddy toys.

I don't buy the presumption that nobody can afford to cast new or different stuff and put them in the mix on a regular basis - if that somebody has the rights and the desire to do so. These are tjets, where body thickness can vary, no flexing over chassis to snap in place required. Send one over and they'll make it. Expectations here are relatively low, as a lot of folks are grateful for ANYTHING different that comes out, even if it is yet another new paint job on a 1940's Willys Gasser. If you're gonna work with defunct car brands, do you think the last versions of the Firebird and GTO might appeal to nostalgic old guys AND be recognized by people who don't get AARP junk mail?

Just my .02, guaranteed to P/O somebody, but such is life.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/FX Nut View Post
Bear, I think the neo dot traction magnet is here to stay. I was told that Autoworld was sued by Model Motoring last year, 2010 over the chassis design. The Autoworld being a Thunderjet chassis, or an evolution of it. In the settlement the Autoworld chassis has to be 25% different from the Model Motoring chassis, and the neo dot being the difference. And AW couldn't label them as Thunderjets. The word "Thunderjet 500" does appear on the jewel case packaging.

I'm not sure how true this is. Because at the 2007 Autofest my friend Craig was showing Tom Lowe his Corian drag strip and some of his modified Johnny Lightning/Autoworld slot cars. Craig had glued a neo dot magnet to the bottom of is car. Just on the one side. Tom was curious as to why he glued the magnet to it. Craig explained that the magnet held the car down when it launched from the line. Without it, the car would deslot from the motor lifting the guide pin out of the slot.

In late 2008 or early 2009 we had the Ultra-G.

Randy.
Hi Randy ,
i had heard that as well but... to quote Harrison Woodrow from an email i got from him last year that boat won't float ! I had contacted him on some parts and bodies and for whatever reason a short brief email conversation along these lines took place. Cryptic as ever the jist was the story was not all as it seemed or was presented. Naming issues are one thing and in this world and tooling is another i believe was a phrase and it's much easier to prove one over the other.
Taking a guess i would suppose you can imagine what MAY have happened based on what he said. The 25% change were to a must could have just as easily come from : size variant from original
materials used
arm size and ohms and materials
axle hole positions
plastic top gears
silicone blend in tires VS rubber
and more to name a few so a neo dot didn't need be the decider as it could have been say a fixed weight or tyco type guide or just a different shape to the chassis nose etc. Oh and BTW there's also another 2 guys i have talked to claiming they are the inspiration for the neo dot with AW . One guy down here in FL i met a couple of months back now in Daytona and another in Ohio . Weird that your friend was a drag guy and i think both of these guys were magnets car racers . Makes sense for them not wanting the TJET sliding action but not so much for a pureist .

Bear

Last edited by bearsox; 11-04-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

See, this is why I like this forum. Great discussions. 1) "Hey Auto World, love your stuff!" ...and 2) "Hey Auto World, what were you thinking!?"

And as Bill said, now you all have cooties too.

Later...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms485 View Post
See, this is why I like this forum. Great discussions. 1) "Hey Auto World, love your stuff!" ...and 2) "Hey Auto World, what were you thinking!?"

And as Bill said, now you all have cooties too.

Later...

Lmao!!!!!

Dreaming Of A 65 Buick GranSport HO Slot Car

^^Look Up ^^ Finally got them!!! WooHoo!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

You might have cooties but I have cooters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooter.jpg (6.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Wow, I let my attention drop and I missed all kinds of good stuff in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/FX Nut View Post
You have a point about the Far East look on the flame jobs. In Greenburg's Guide To Aurora Slot Cars, on page #58, in the paragraph "Emergence of the Orient" it states,

"With the advent of A/FX, only body design and patternmaking remained at West Hempstead. Everything else--including manufacturing--had been transfered to the Orient. When Aurora engineers finished design work, patterns were air-expressed to the Far East, where molds were cut, bodies were produced, and cars were assembled. Ratkiewich demanded that first painted prototypes be sent to West Hempstead for approval before production began. His reason: Hong Kong and Singapore graphic artist tended to "orientalize" decoration schemes.

(snip)

Randy.
when I read Bill's post, this is EXACTLY the quote from that book I thought of. I was going to post it if someone else didn't.

And it's good to see pms485 here. thanks for taking the time to jump in!

--rick
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 PM

My Photos

Pretty cool bein able to rub elbows with royalty

........except for the cooties
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Model Murdering

My Photos

OMG! Is that my Ultra Gee spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsox View Post
....snip**** May i ask your opinion on the dot traction magnet issue with the chassis ? You all know mine as the tits on a Bull phrase wins out ! My concern is that the longer we let AW assume that the dot traction magnet is the CORRECT way to go with this chassis ...the more likely it is here for good ! Nothing wrong with it on a MAG car IMHO but these are TJET clones where downforce ruins the way THIS type of chassis was meant to run / handle . Again IF we assume AW is taking a peek at this thread why not take another moment to voice our thoughts on the dreaded dot !!!

Bear
Well Bear, in the absolute, I rekon it's A-Dub's nickel...and it's not the only nickel they have in play.

My personal opinion is similar to yours with regard to the Ultra-G in principle; however it is based around simple mechanical issues rather than the great Newtonian debate regarding the morality of using... gravity?... or anti-gravity? In other words, rather than asking if the apple should fall or not, I assume that it has; and find where the apple falls and why to be the more plotable points. Philosophical battles between the Hatfields and the McCoys can only be legislated at the club level. Musket warfare is so untidy.

For the record. Historically, from my perspective, Magna-traction was a lot like the fourth strike rule in baseball. It kept your sister in the slot, and Johnny Ritalin interested for a few more minutes; but any purist knows the truth in his heart. They are the slotcar equivalent of training wheels and there's no crying in baseball or slotcars.

Straight up? The UG retrofit added the necessary positive out of box experience to keep the wolves at bay when they were wearing milkbone underwear with regards to driveability issues. How'd ya have liked to have been working the switchboard at AW during that period? LOL! A very successfull band-aid at that.

#1 it immediately improved the out of box bitching ratio.

#2 it bought enough time to work out the QC issues with regards to the "bentwheelaxlelumpytirehypnogear factory option package"...in that the tractive effect served to mute the spastic handling characteristics.

#3 It compensated for the awkward disparity between the hotter nature of the AW armatures/magnets and the big pinion final drive ratio on small radius table top tracks. Similar in that it's a handling issue, but seperate because it occurs even when all yer parts are straight. It's a super oval/speedway chassis setup no matter what marketing tells the art deparment to put on the box.

I didnt test an awful lot. Maybe a dozen er so of the initial bunch. BUT my results indicated that the dot magnet served it's purpose effectively. The cars finally went down the track... some even exited the first turn and lapped respectably. If you took the magnet out, they got all kerflunky again....because some of the concentric parts were still bent and lumpy. So! For their intended purpose, the DOTs did their job adequately. My out of box experience was just soooper! (wearing my first time users hat and pretending to be a slot virgin)

HOWEVER my personal feeling is one of chagrin. In that the off set DOT cramps both the handling and stance/appearance to one side. So it's still a wierdly twitchy unbalanced beastie that now dresses decidedly left; which could benefit exponentially from a few small QC improvenments more than any gabillion dollar gravity deflecting chassis up grade will ever provide. Along this line, I've seen no inclination to admit to or correct the singlemost debiltating flaw that still persists. That being the incorrect bend at the pick up shoe hook that WAY over springs every single chassis. It's always been a simple matter of one single oversight.... plain and simple! Ya dont need a magnet because it's SOOOOOO powerful, ya need a magnet because the parts are SOOOOOOO bent, ya need the magnet to hold the silly lil thing in the slot because the pick ups became forever oversprung when Quality Control was designing flashy packaging and playing donut hockey on the clock.

I'm sorry, but the sad truth was that it didnt ever need to be retrofitted in the first place. The simple fixes were available and disreguarded serepticiously without so much as a how do you do. They chose to disreguard ancient slot dogma and proceed on some Ultra Grail quest veiled in smoke and mirrors. Then again, maybe none of it matters because they had to comply with a change order from Damacles.

Wither way, it makes my original chassis all the tastier. AW isnt required to adhere to the fray rule set or cater to any of us old school slot farts. They got their own mission statement, and were lucky to have them to pilfer from.

MUO is that most consumers cant muster the attention span to master the necessary skill of self control required to navigate a properly set up hot slotcar without training wheels. It's my contention that it wouldnt matter if the original JLTO was perfect out of the can. They wouldnt know a plum if it was right in front of them. Nor could they drive it.

Yeah Bear, I got an opinion on the DOT... not unlike what happened in the beginning. Lil Johnny cant drive his car....let's magnetize it! The UG is just prophecy revisited in my mind. We're just mad cuz they slopped it onto our beloved t-jet design

The great equalizer...Ya know?

Last edited by Bill Hall; 11-04-2011 at 11:24 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

LOL- I just LOVE Bill Hall's Posts like the above And PS- I totally agree with the entire post as well
Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 AM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

What Ralph said Bill said! And please,please some nicer wheels!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Member of Da Band

My Photos

They have not wore out the mold for those wheel sets yet Dave!!! Besides why would we want any other type or style of wheel for our customs? There is nothing like a ready market staring ya in the face, ... and them blatantly ignoring it! It is the same with available parts from AW, unless you want to buy those artsy fartsy Pit Kits that are filled with useless items. And by the way, I didn't purchase any of the first batch of flamed cars, because I thought they looked gay! I can honestly say that I am not going to purchase any of these either, because I think that they look gay also. JMHOFO!! pig
And singin' "This'll be the day that I die"
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsox View Post
Hi Randy ,
i had heard that as well but... to quote Harrison Woodrow from an email i got from him last year that boat won't float ! I had contacted him on some parts and bodies and for whatever reason a short brief email conversation along these lines took place. Cryptic as ever the jist was the story was not all as it seemed or was presented. Naming issues are one thing and in this world and tooling is another i believe was a phrase and it's much easier to prove one over the other.
Taking a guess i would suppose you can imagine what MAY have happened based on what he said. The 25% change were to a must could have just as easily come from : size variant from original
materials used
arm size and ohms and materials
axle hole positions
plastic top gears
silicone blend in tires VS rubber
and more to name a few so a neo dot didn't need be the decider as it could have been say a fixed weight or tyco type guide or just a different shape to the chassis nose etc. Oh and BTW there's also another 2 guys i have talked to claiming they are the inspiration for the neo dot with AW . One guy down here in FL i met a couple of months back now in Daytona and another in Ohio . Weird that your friend was a drag guy and i think both of these guys were magnets car racers . Makes sense for them not wanting the TJET sliding action but not so much for a pureist .

Bear
Hi Bear,

My friend Craig also races on ovals and roadcourses. The cars he was showing Tom Lowe had the armtures rewound. The cars had so much torque when they left the start line they would lift the guide pin out of the slot without the neo dot. He purchased them at Radio Shack. Tom seemed interested and impressed with Craig's work and the addition of the neo dot magnet.

I agree with you on what you are saying about the 25% difference. But I was told all future releases of the Autoworld Thunderjet Tuff Ones will have the traction magnet.
I perfer the one without the traction magnet myself. To me it's more fun to have the car slide through turns and it's closer to the original. But for modified drag cars, or getting young kids to try slots for the first time, the traction magnet has a place.

I'm glad Autoworld is bringing products to the market. Where others have quit, or announced a retooled chassis was coming back two years ago but haven't seen it or had an update on it. Autoworld is consistently coming out with new releases of cars and race sets.

Granted, we are not always happy with what AW brings to market, I believe there is something for everyone. Bill Hall would like to see a Hot Rod and Rat Rod release, (correct me if I'm wrong Bill) , Joe want's a 1965 Grand Sport Buick, I'd like to see an XTraction Super Car release. Hopefully we will see these things in the future.

Randy.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Most Interesting Member

My Photos

I would like to see an HP7.