Anyone use Liquitex BASICS in an airbrush? - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > The Modeling Forum
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Anyone use Liquitex BASICS in an airbrush?

I know a lot of us use various artist's tube paint for figures, some even airbrush them, but... I'm trying to find someone who specifically uses the Liquitex BASICS through an airbrush. I have a friend in Utah who is a modeling newbie, and I'm trying to get him started with a pile of kits, a Paasche H airbrush, magazines, and whatever advice I can. He's a good guy and really wants to learn, but I/we have run into a bit of a roadblock. I use Liquitex paint, but not the BASICS line. I also have the ability to use any thinner that strikes my fancy, which he can't because of ventilation issues and his wife's asthma. He's currently trying to get a P-47 painted in silver (a P-47 is an airplane for those who might not know....yea, I know, I'll shut up). Anyway, he flat cannot get the silver to cover worth a damn, and I can't do much to help him.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I've used the Liquitex "Basics" in my airbrush... I use a Badger 150 double action airbrush with the "basics". I also use Tamiya acrylic thinner with the "basics" and have had very good results. The secret is to mix the paints throughly and then to thin them to the consistency of milk (or maybe slightly thinner). Spray thin coats and have patience. I've not used any silver... it may have some different drying tendencies. Also he should first spray a black under coat for the silver.

I hope this is helpful!

- Denis
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklange View Post
I've used the Liquitex "Basics" in my airbrush... I use a Badger 150 double action airbrush with the "basics". I also use Tamiya acrylic thinner with the "basics" and have had very good results. The secret is to mix the paints throughly and then to thin them to the consistency of milk (or maybe slightly thinner). Spray thin coats and have patience. I've not used any silver... it may have some different drying tendencies. Also he should first spray a black under coat for the silver.

I hope this is helpful!

- Denis
I bit the bullet and bought a tube of BASICS silver (at Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon, so it didn't hurt so much). I used ammonia for thinner, with about half a teaspoon to a 'toothbrushing' sized blob of paint, and shot at 12 psi. There must be something about the pigments in the silver -- coverage is almost nonexistent. It would be super if you were just trying to get a glitter effect on another base color, but if you actually want it silver you're pretty well SOL. Lesson learned. However, I do think this stuff could have some interesting possibilities with a drop or two of various food colors.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=330954

- GJS
Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Well, there's not really any big difference between the regular Liquitex and the BASICS line in terms of how to use them. Whatever technique you use for the regular acrylic paints should also apply to the BASICS. Personally, I use blue Windex to thin my acrylic paints. I find the odor to be very mild, but then again, I don't have asthma.

The BASICS line is Liquitex's student/kid/beginner paint. The biggest difference between their regular acrylic and the BASICS acrylic is the size of the pigment grain. In the regular acrylics, it's a very fine grain. In the BASICS, it's not as fine, but then again, the BASICS line was created to be a low cost alternative for brush painting. I also suspect that the quality of pigment in not as good either, but that's how they keep the cost of the BASICS lower than the regular acrylic. Anyway, in overall quality, I'd say the BASICS sit between regular acrylic paints and craft paints (such as Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, Folk Art, etc.). In my experience, with a little patience, you can get results that are equal to the regular acrylics with the BASICS. However, for airbrushing, I still prefer their line of soft body paint in the little jars.

Having said all that, however, I'm not sure the brand of paint is the issue in this case. I'll be the first to admit that acrylic metallics can be tricky, no matter what brand you use. They are best used for brush painting, and require a good deal more patience than usual to airbrush. I find that airbrushing acrylic metallics requires several more coats than regular colors, and they must be applied in thinner coats to prevent runs. Then there's the clean up. It takes a lot longer to get all those little metal flakes out of the airbrush! Also, as Denis said, it's best to lay down a black base coat before using silver (or aluminum, gun metal, etc.), and that applies to any type of paint. For gold, bronze, copper, brass, etc., a dark brown undercoat my be preferable.

If it were me, and I was painting a P-47, I wouldn't even bother with acrylics for the base coat. I'd take that sucker outside and hit it with silver from a spray can! Then I'd use acrylics to pop in the details. But, that's just me.

On a side note, I highly recommend the Liquitex BASICS MATT SERIES paints for brush painting. The MATT SERIES was designed to cover in fewer coats and reduce brush strokes. Also, as the name implies, it dries flat, and I mean dead flat!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Yea, that's the guy I've been helping. Didn't know he posted one too.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

As proof of concept, here's my Judge Anderson kit. I use Liquitex BASICS Gold for all the gold bits. In this pic, the eagle on the right was brush painted and the shoulder pad on the left was airbrushed prior to gluing to the kit. It took MANY coats on both areas, but I finally got them covered.

Last edited by derric1968; 06-25-2011 at 03:26 PM..