Vulcan Shuttle color? - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Science Fiction Modeling
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Question Vulcan Shuttle color?

I have a question for all the brainiacs out there. Has there ever been a correct color established for the Vulcan Shuttle from ST TMP? That's Vulcan now, not the Federation color (or colour for all my Brit friends!).

This may very well have been discussed previously, and if it has, I missed it. So any help where would be much appreciated.

IDIC (and yes, I'm doing the Vulcan salute),

hal9001-

P.S. Fascinating.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 AM
Banned

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9001 View Post
I have a question for all the brainiacs out there. Has there ever been a correct color established for the Vulcan Shuttle from ST TMP? That's Vulcan now, not the Federation color (or colour for all my Brit friends!).

This may very well have been discussed previously, and if it has, I missed it. So any help where would be much appreciated.

hal9001-

P.S. Fascinating.
The image below is from Andy Proberts website. The lavender color of the plastic the re-issue kit is molded in is pretty close.

http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_DES.../V.Shuttle.jpg
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Lavender? What, are the Vulcans color blind? I never would have figured it to lavender. YAK!

Guess I'll have to fudge a little once again from screen acutrate. I always thought it was some off rust color like on the original issue box. On screen, it's a little hard to tell what color it is.

Just like I haven't built a Klingon Battle Cruiser yet and I don't think I can bring myself to painting it purple when I do. Or some veriation of.

Thanks for the info kenlee,

hal9001-
Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM

My Photos

These colors (on the left side) were provided by Magicam (or the Robert Abel modelshop) as the correct colors of the original miniature. I have no idea which goes where though.

Last edited by feek61; 01-31-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Lavender? What, are the Vulcans color blind? I never would have figured it to lavender. YAK!

Guess I'll have to fudge a little once again from screen acutrate. I always thought it was some off rust color like on the original issue box. On screen, it's a little hard to tell what color it is.

Just like I haven't built a Klingon Battle Cruiser yet and I don't think I can bring myself to painting it purple when I do. Or some veriation of.

Thanks for the info kenlee,

hal9001-

Per Probert (taken from his website): "I arrived at this color because I'd been thinking about the various shades of gray that dressed 99% of all other cinematic spaceships and thought that a gray ship, in the red Vulcan atmosphere, would look sort of red-gray or magenta. From that, I asked for a magenta/purple paint scheme , and my art director, Richard Taylor, backed me up. The modelers came up with an amazing combination of colors and I came up with a custom decal sheet which were all applied,... yet, not everyone appreciated this unusual scheme. When it was filmed, the colors were neutralized."

The magenta color was to match the reflection of the Vulcan atmosphere on the ship.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM

My Photos

Quote:

hal9001-

P.S. Fascinating.

Check my "lighted Vulcan Shuttle" posts in this forum. I just did one with the base colors close to the molded plastic then darked and toned down with brownish rust weathering. I like how it turned out....
Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
I vaguely remember the reasoning behind the color was due to the appearances of colors for those that lived on Vulcan with a different color sky and sun. The thought was that the hull color might appear grayish while on Vulcan......or something to that effect.

I thought that it still sounded kind of wonky back then and I still do, but it is what it is...

Bryan
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

As I remember the photo on the box of AMT's release was of the movie model.
Bruce
Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM

My Photos

I'm not sure where I heard it or who said it but the color that comes close is called bubble gum and it comes in a spray can. I think Krylon makes it.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM

My Photos

I personally prefer the rust colored look seen on film. I'll probably go towards that on mine.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 AM

My Photos

Color of the studio model

Believe it or not, the color (mauve) that this model is molded in is closest to what the original studio model was. If you watch the film, as I have done recently, you can actually see the purplish color poke through all the details. There is an build-up article on Round 2's site that also explains that this model is covered nearly bow to aft in decals, which helps hide the mauve. (see article below) I think when I build this model, I might actually leave the original color alone, and just paint the details.

Also, the image on the box of the original 1979 release of this kit was NOT THE STUDIO MODEL. The original studio model was NEVER rust colored. It was always in the mauve color, even on screen. The toned-down mauve coloring is simply a matter of camera trickery and lighting.

http://www.round2models.com/workbench/vulcan-shuttle
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 AM

My Photos

Studio Model

Here is a link to a picture of the original studio model. Behold....MAUVE!

http://www.round2models.com/images/a...probert07a.jpg
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by feek61 View Post
These colors (on the left side) were provided by Magicam (or the Robert Abel modelshop) as the correct colors of the original miniature. I have no idea which goes where though.
For the anal-retentive among us, here's a PDF detailing the RGB values of the color chart on the right for calibration. The image would be brought into Photoshop, and its values adjusted until they match the proper RGB values ... then we'd see something approximating the Probert Pink. On a monitor, anyway.

For the super-duper-anal, RGB might not quite be accurate enough, but I'm not that anal. Ideally, holding a real ColorChecker up to the monitor would be best.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

The color chips above came from a "Miniatures Manual" that was put together during the transition period when EEG took over from RA&A. I have a copy and when the Round2 kit was re-released, we put one of the parts near the chips -

As you can see, the molded color is darn close.

I have a casting of the original shuttle portion (the doorstop-like thing) -

- and in researching the actual model, I can tell you that the majority of the detail on the model is compromised of paint panels and decals. There are some model parts, but I was surprised by the number of vents and other little things that were just decals.

There is a good thread on the RI that ID's most of the kit parts and has other photos -
http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=6877

Gene

Last edited by GKvfx; 11-27-2012 at 11:32 PM..