Making Foam tires....Help - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Radio Control Vehicles > RC Oval Racing > RC Oval Racing General Discussion
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM

My Photos

Making Foam tires....Help

I need to make my own foams for my SC10, where can I get a foam donut, or blank. Do you think It would work trying to make my own. Any advise or links would be great. What do they call just the foam tire so I know what im looking for?

I figured the oval guys, have made just about everything work....and building what you needed. Any Help?

KC
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

www.windtunnelracingproducts.com

We are the ONLY company doing donuts. Let me know what size you need and Im sure I can help

Rob
rob@windtunnelracingproducts.com
Mastercard, Visa, Discover, Amex, & pay pal
Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM

My Photos

What dimentions do you need, Inner, outer, heigth, and width?

My only issue and concern is unlike an oval wheel, which is smooth. The SC wheel has an inner and outer bead. Im not overly concerned to how it will look but how it will stay on the wheel. I would think I could glue them on an just deal with a small gap between the wheel and tire.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM

My Photos

RC4less sells donuts also,

you will need to remove the wheel ribs that hold the rubber tires on then glue foam on. You maybe getting in deeper than you think, then you will need a tire truer to true the tires.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Cutting the edges off are no problem really. I have done thousands of them. What you need to do is buy a carbide cutter that We sell here at Windtunnel so this can be done and leave a good finish. Then scuff the wheel and go from there. Mounting is a little tricky but I can walk you through it with no problem

Rob
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 AM

My Photos

So, im guessing that a pre-mounted foam tire has already been trued? Ive been wondering about that. I feel good about my mechanical ability to get the tire on....with a little instruction. How much are we talking about...for the donut? With some elbow grease and a dremel or utility knife I would think getting that rib off wouldnt be too big of a deal. I know can get that rib off without destroying the wheel.

The LHS carries the Epic foams in stock for the slash, but if I have to buy those at $35 a pop front/back....for me and my son. Plus the rear spacers.....$5? have no idea. Plus the Inline axel from AE $7 plus shipping....me and my son. $164 bucks plus or minus

If I can do the donut and make it work, im down.

I have no idea how much a tire truer is but a used one has to be less than the 164 bucks I would have to spend.

Im also looking into the adapter/rear and inline axel/front, to make this work.

But, I do have a new Oval car with some worn out tires that are gonna need replacement......ooo.....If I buy donut's do I need a tire truer? I like the hands on aspect but dont want to spend a ton of money on a machine that saves me a couple bucks, per tire replacement. My local track is small,and not Ultra competetive as far as Oval goes.

Keep feeding me this info, I love it. Thanks for any input, Its appreciated
Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

jaco makes a larger foam tire and rim combo for the jato that might work for your needs
http://www.jacoracing.net/newitems_foam_rubber.html
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDOCKRC View Post
www.windtunnelracingproducts.com

We are the ONLY company doing donuts. Let me know what size you need and Im sure I can help

Rob
Rob,
Where are donuts on your site?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

http://www.windtunnelracingproducts....hp?cPath=42_21

This is the page with donuts listed...
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

My Photos

Thanks Joe!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

I have more in stock than currently listed. Shoot me an email and Ill help out

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Used to be racer......

My Photos

A problem that may occur mounting your own donuts on a SC trucks is......and I haven't looked up close and personal. But doesn't a SC truck have a odd sized wheel? As in one diameter on the outside of the wheel and a different one on the inside? This could be a problem. Honestly to do it right you will need more cost in equipment than buying the Trinity tires would cost probably.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM

My Photos

Yes and no, There is sort of a "bead" area. The inside of a SC tire is a little bit smaller, maybe 1/4". The outer bead sits in sort of a rim, its goofy. I just would rather run a foam that looks silly then spend the money on a bunch of parts that I dont need if someone made a foam tire....Its starting to irritate me actually. NO BODY has been able to tell me for sure what will work.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnasdad View Post
Yes and no, There is sort of a "bead" area. The inside of a SC tire is a little bit smaller, maybe 1/4". The outer bead sits in sort of a rim, its goofy. I just would rather run a foam that looks silly then spend the money on a bunch of parts that I dont need if someone made a foam tire....Its starting to irritate me actually. NO BODY has been able to tell me for sure what will work.
I'm guessing NO BODY has been able to tell you what will work since what you're trying to do probably hasn't been done successfully. Could you make something work? Probably. Is it gonna be as easy as buying a couple foam donuts, gluing on a rim, and running them.....probably not.

Cutting the ribs off the inside of the rim shouldn't be much of an issue. You will have a big problem on the frontside though since there is a step down on the rim. If you glue a foam donut over the rim, you will have a gap between the foam and the rim on the front side (where the step down in the rim is), which will make the foam grab, roll under, and most likely flip the vehicle over at even lower speeds. You would probably have more success mounting the foam even with the tall part of the rim, and just leaving the "step" to stick out from the rim. It will look goofy, and make the foam tire narrower, but will eliminate the pre-mentioned problem.

Once you have the foam mounted, you will now need a way to "true" the foam tire. A donut glued on the rim will be very out-of-round and very out-of-balance, as foam doesn't stay proportionally perfect when stretched over a rim. You can most likely buy a used tire truer, it will need to be capable of doing the large diameter SC10 tires (most foam tires are not nearly that large), and must have the proper arbor to allow the SC10 rims to fit tight on it. I would guess a cheap deal on a setup like that would be minimum $125-$150, but you'd have to check around. Most tire truers won't true tires that large, so your options of what will work are limited.

Because you have so many tires/vehicles you're trying to work with, you could probably save money long-term doing your own, but the initial investment won't be dirt cheap. The smaller scale donut's are $10/pair, but expect these to be more expensive ($12-$15/pair maybe) since they use way more foam.

Mounting foam tires realistically takes more time than it does anything else. The material costs (donuts, glue, rims) isn't the worst, but be prepared to spend a good amount of time to get them race-worthy, and you'll need the tire truer.

Hope that helps you get a better idea!

Last edited by Kevin Koback; 01-04-2011 at 11:07 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

1st off what sc are u running?
if your running the sc10, brs, jaco and others make tires that for trucks (ie. t4, xxxt,) that will bolt right on. You may have to adjust your gear ratio dependiing on the overall diameter.
I think that the ones for the Jato will bolt onto a slash. they are bigger then the a "normal" truck

here are a couple arbors for trucks and dirt oval vehicles
http://www.rc4less.com/Tire_Truers_&...c13/index.html