Replacement Carb for old Stihl FS 80 (TK carb) - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair 2-Cycle
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 AM

My Photos

Replacement Carb for old Stihl FS 80 (TK carb)

Hi all!
Got an old Stihl FS80 with a TK carb (slide barrel) that will start but not run for more than 5-10 sec - it constantly floods out. I found a rebuild carb kit and installed - no difference. Compression is good (~150psi), great spark - I just hate to trash this thing.

I followed several strings about these TK carbs being known to wear and leak air into the carb. I have not "eliminated" the primer bulb or plugged up the overflow port -do you think this will help?

Lastly - I've searched the net for a replacement carb, but can't find one.
How would one go about matching a different (newer) carb to this - what things do I need to consider? Has anyone doe something like this?

Thanks for any help.
Best
quid_non
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by quid_non View Post
Hi all!
Got an old Stihl FS80 with a TK carb (slide barrel) that will start but not run for more than 5-10 sec - it constantly floods out. I found a rebuild carb kit and installed - no difference. Compression is good (~150psi), great spark - I just hate to trash this thing.

I followed several strings about these TK carbs being known to wear and leak air into the carb. I have not "eliminated" the primer bulb or plugged up the overflow port -do you think this will help?

Lastly - I've searched the net for a replacement carb, but can't find one.
How would one go about matching a different (newer) carb to this - what things do I need to consider? Has anyone doe something like this?

Thanks for any help.
Best
quid_non
Manual shows for FS80,85 the following, Zama C1Q-S63A, C1Q-S78 BR, C1Q-S56, C1Q-S60 BR, C1Q-28D, C1Q-S41A and Walbro WT-447
Have a good one. Geo
Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 PM

My Photos

Thanks - but this has the slide barrel carb (TK style) - will the ones you mention interchange with this? It is the OLD FS80.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Thanks - but this has the slide barrel carb (TK style) - will the ones you mention interchange with this? It is the OLD FS80.
Thanks
I do not know, maybe one of the other guys has the answer and will post after they get off work. Have a good one. Geo
Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Thanks
I do not know, the manual I used didn't show a TK carb so maybe it doesn't go back far enough, maybe one of the other guys has the answer and will post after they get off work. Have a good one. Geo
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM

My Photos

A possible source for a replacement carb might be www.chainsawr.com
Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM

My Photos

Thanks for the link Pioneer - an interesting site. Did not find any carbs here for trimmers.
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 AM

My Photos

Quote:
Thanks for the link Pioneer - an interesting site. Did not find any carbs here for trimmers.
Thanks!
You can try my site but i am sure if that is a stihl unit stihl and the carb manufactures made it impossible for non stihl dealers to get carbs for the stihl units so it may have to be special ordered from your stihl dealer
Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM

My Photos

Thanks Lawnmower tech!
Still can't seem to find any info. Wondering if scouting local repair shops for discarded carbs is an option.

What does it take to put a different carb on an engine? What should I consider - Why can't I just put a walbro on instead of "TK" (I need to fabricate an adapter) but why not?

Thanks for any insight
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 AM

My Photos

I'm a Stihl dealer, & i'll check for you tomorrow. Stihl has a propriatary parts look up called Media Cat. FS80 isn't very old, so carbs should still be available. normaly for any product there will be several carbs listed in the look-up, the newest 'version' will be listed at the top. any chance you can post the serial number of the unit? Thanks, --Lucky
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM

My Photos

as a start:

4112's:
(1) FS 80 E,(2) FS 80 AVE,(3) FS 80 RE,(4) FS 80 AVRE
carb is Stihl part # 4112 120 0611

there are 8 different carbs for units #4137
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 AM

My Photos

Thanks for the follow up Luckyvision - soorry it took so long to get back with yuo.
Serial #
Stihl FS80AVR 13654169

btw...
Tried the "modification" suggested by others (i.e. drilling out the "tickler valve" and plugging the overfolw port). (see: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=977903) This had no effect - the carb still floods out. Replaced /rechecked the float pin, spring and lever - - still floods the cylinder.

At a loss on what to try next - can't seem to locate a replacement carb...
Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Thanks for the follow up Luckyvision - soorry it took so long to get back with yuo.
Serial #
Stihl FS80AVR 13654169

btw...
Tried the "modification" suggested by others (i.e. drilling out the "tickler valve" and plugging the overfolw port). (see: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=977903) This had no effect - the carb still floods out. Replaced /rechecked the float pin, spring and lever - - still floods the cylinder.

At a loss on what to try next - can't seem to locate a replacement carb...
Here is a Zama. Have a good one. Geo
http://cgi.ebay.com/Zama-Stihl-FS-80...item3a5e1ad9b4
Here is a TK carb kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TK-Carb-Kit-Full...item2c56e5aad3
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 AM

My Photos

Thanks - still looking are a replacement carb or substitute. I installed a kit and it makes no difference. The zama is not a slide barrel type. Wondering if it will match up with the hole pattern on the case?

Any other suggestions??
Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Thanks - still looking are a replacement carb or substitute. I installed a kit and it makes no difference. The zama is not a slide barrel type. Wondering if it will match up with the hole pattern on the case?

Any other suggestions??
Thanks
Refer to my first post, all of those carbs listed are for an FS80 the info came from the Stihl manual. Have a good one. Geo