40C vs. 50C+ difference?????? - Page 5 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Radio Control Vehicles > RC Oval Racing > RC Brushless & LiPo Oval Racing
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by katf1sh View Post
how much to ship one pack? and what recourse do you have if it is bad when you get it?
how much per hour does the japanese worker get?
does he have good benefits?
holidays off?

everything costs money..the consumer must off-set these costs
Same company made both packs, just cut out a few of the middle people. Shipping one pack isn't that much more, just slower.

I'm willing to bet there is only 1-2 companies making all 1s packs, just different labels on the cases.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepull View Post
that is awesome lmao
Glad you find all this so entertaining.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSpec View Post
Same company made both packs, just cut out a few of the middle people. Shipping one pack isn't that much more, just slower.

I'm willing to bet there is only 1-2 companies making all 1s packs, just different labels on the cases.
Shipping might not be that much but when importing batteries there is duty and fees involved. We bring in fairly big shipments and we have 8 to 10% in shipping and duty. On a few packs this will be much higher.

I can name you more than 1 or 2 companies than make Lipos for RC.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

First of all, let me be clear, I'm one of the people who discovered this and if you read my one and only post you will see that I in no way was bashing SMC or making any accusations. The one thing that I wanted was an explanation of what could be the reason for this. As a businessman myself I find it somewhat disconcerting that SMC seems to be focusing their anger at their customers. We are not responsible for the mislabeling.
If you purchased an item with an expectation of a specified value and then discovered that may not be the case. Would you be satisfied? I think not. Granted some people have chosen to pile-on, but this does not change the original problem.
Your solution to have the customer test the packs to determine if they are indeed 50-c is I think somewhat misguided. Why should I have to verify the capacity if their is some doubt. From a customer service standpoint wouldn't it make more sense to replace the item in question and retain a customer or create more ill will. I have not heard this solution as an option.
I will not be commenting anymore about this, but I do hope that whatever the reason was for the problem, customer satisfaction should be the first priority.

Greg Nephew
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Danny IMHO hasn't focused and angry at the customers that I've seen. In fact is seems he is just as bewildered as the final customer. He bought a product to resale and he is a victim just as well. Only he has a name/reputation to protect. How he wants top handle it will greatly reflect on him.

AFAIK NO customer has the capabilty to test at the packs rated C. What if I was to have tested the 40c pack at 50c and it burst into flames assuming nothing else melted, like the wire or Dean's connector. Not safe for the end user to be trying this.

If a batch could be isolated and tracked by serial numbers, then maybe a recall of sorts. But with ability to track by serial number you open a new can of worms. Everyone would be ripping open their packs to check them, also dangerous.

There is not an easy fix that I can think of. I have an idea but it would also info Danny getting cut a break from his supplier because of their mix up if what he has said it true.

But, I have a SMC hard case with a Power Push label covering the molded in lettering. That is a touchy subject for a business person to talk about. I will say this....that pack is my best pack! 5300+ mah @ 35 amp.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benracin' View Post
First of all, let me be clear, I'm one of the people who discovered this and if you read my one and only post you will see that I in no way was bashing SMC or making any accusations. The one thing that I wanted was an explanation of what could be the reason for this. As a businessman myself I find it somewhat disconcerting that SMC seems to be focusing their anger at their customers. We are not responsible for the mislabeling.
If you purchased an item with an expectation of a specified value and then discovered that may not be the case. Would you be satisfied? I think not. Granted some people have chosen to pile-on, but this does not change the original problem.
Your solution to have the customer test the packs to determine if they are indeed 50-c is I think somewhat misguided. Why should I have to verify the capacity if their is some doubt. From a customer service standpoint wouldn't it make more sense to replace the item in question and retain a customer or create more ill will. I have not heard this solution as an option.
I will not be commenting anymore about this, but I do hope that whatever the reason was for the problem, customer satisfaction should be the first priority.

Greg Nephew
No one is questioning if you were justified in feeling duped. What I find troubling is that instead of someone contacting us to get answers, they chose to air it out on a public forum. As a businessman, I'm sure you can understand the negative ramifications that can result from this. I don't see how anyone can even debate this point.
This is a hobby to most everyone on this forum. For some reason, many people feel justified in bashing SMC or taking satisfaction when something negative happens. This is not a hobby to us. We take what we do very seriously. I'm sure if a similar situation would arise that shed negative light on your job or something you feel strongly about, you would feel the same way. Of course, nobody thinks of this when they start piling on.
Love us or hate us, we are still here doing what we have been doing for years.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
What I find troubling is that instead of someone contacting us to get answers, they chose to air it out on a public forum.
How many people have you PM'd on these two threads? I haven't received any from you. It seems you are forgetting that we all were your CUSTOMERS at one time or another...and you find it fit to argue with people on public forums that gave you money for a product that they felt is/was sub-par. I've never seen anyone go to a public customer service counter and quietly explain that they felt screwed out of concern for the business. In addition, I've never seen the customer service rep. try to belittle that unsatisfied customer in front of the rest of the store.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM

My Photos

What am I argueing? Who am I belittling? I admitted that I would be upset if this happened to me. If you are going to attempt to accuse me of something, try to make it legitimate. I have never seen anyone bypass the customer service counter and announce to the store with a bullhorn that a product sucks. Get your analogies straight.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

ok jack, danny, maybe people could have a little more nice about asking why there packs have the (WRONG C RATING) printed on them.danny if you noticed that the packs where labeled wrong why didnt you fix from the start? jack dont people have a right to get a little angry when they feel duped,you always get angry when someone questions the SMC product,if you wanted to fix the whole deal just replace the packs in question and be done with it.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Danny couldn't have known the packs where labeled wrong. If you have been reading he was duped as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

ok lemme tell you a story...kinda long but if you "read" the entire story when you come to the end you may "get" the moral of the story..

cruise ship carnival legend: went on myhoneymoon on this ship in april..perfect cruise,it couldn't of gotten any better unless the chicks were naked and the jack daniels was free..

same ship 2 weeks later: cruise reviews.....ships water turns orange (no showers) due to swine flu cozumel is out...due to a uproar in isla roatan that island is out..."some" guests go crazy mad trying to fight the captain and the crew...now they call the coast guard to remove a few of the rowdy people..cruise ships floats off the coast of tampa (where it left from) for two days...the worst cruise in history i think..just horrible..2000 passengers and 1000 of them all in the lobby demanding free stuff (cruises included)

those 1000 guests who got up in arms and acted like little kids got nothing from carnival..good bye go away may we never see you back on carnival cruise lines...

1000 of them bit the bullet..went home and contacted carnival corprate...

they all got a 500.00 refund back in cash and a free 7 day cruise on any carnival owned ship in the future....

now i'm not going to say what you guys should have done...but i know what you guys could have done.......

and....i did the same thing you guys did on the novak thread..called them out without a phone call or email......i'm still learning BUT even after i ranted and raved they still took all my novak motors and replaced them all with fresh new motors..i olny had issue with one motor they sent me 5 back.......

now point me to dominos pizza message board so i can attack them for changing there pizza to garbage....
Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

...what did my grandma say?..."you can attract more bees with honey than vinagar!" or something like that.

Its very simple. SMC's phone works just fine. If you had a question or an issue, you should have called and i'm sure that the result would have been simular to Bill's cruise story.

I hope that in the future we can avoid all these negative threads. Maybe Hank can intervene and prohibit such threads if there seams that some of the facts are lacking or unclear. It's a real shame to let people rant on and damage the reputations of others without giving the benifit of doubt.

Unfortunately, this forum used to be much more positive and informative in the past. It would be nice to see more threads about helping others than destroying.

Antonio De Nino
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

mr de nino hows it going?

you read my lil story and figured it out! lol

the real problem is most of us never get to meet the guy behind the business..talk with danny for 15 seconds and you know he is a goodfella....

now jack....well the jury is still out on him ahahahahahhahahah
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Bill, all is fine (even though we are covered in snow!). As for your story, the moral is clear and I'm suprised that more haven't figured it out yet!

see you at the races,
Antonio De Nino
Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 AM

My Photos

As I sit here reading this I had a random thought as to an easy way to possibly calm everybody down, so consider it food for thought.......not fuel for the fire.

It sounds like the only reason the "customer" is feeling duped is because his 50c lipo cycles out the same as his 40c lipo does on something like a GFX machine a hobbyist might own.
Since no hobbyist owns equipment to actually test a pack at 50c (Like has been suggested) they use what they have available to them. But (from what I have seen) it is yet to be proven that you can actually measure a difference between a 40c and a 50c pack on the limited loads a GFX or equivalent can put on a pack. Or has it?

I don't think anyone would really care just how mislabeled their 50c pack is inside if they were somehow reassured they actually received what they thought they had purchased. (I know........it's something that Mr. Obvious would say but bear with me).

So the real question is how can SMC reassure the now gun shy customers that they did get what they ordered?

Would it be as simple as having someone trusted (like Danny @ SMC who actually owns equipment that can test a pack at 40-50c) test both a 40c and a 50c pack on this equipment at say a 40c load and post the numbers to see the differences between the packs. Then cycle the same 2 packs on a GFX (or Equivalent machine that a hobbyist might own) at an equal load like 35 amps and post those numbers.

Then if there was an avg. voltage difference between the packs at 40c discharge but not when using the lighter load of a GFX it could be concluded that the GFX is not enough load to make a call on whether the packs were mislabeled or not. The customer would just have to accept that the pack might actually be a mislabeled 50c pack as they have no way of proving it isn't, and their at home GFX testing does not have any credibility on the issue.

But if there was a measurable avg. voltage difference of these same packs at both 40c and 35 amps then the packs were not mislabeled on the inside but rather on the outside. Thus the customer might be justified in requesting a replacement pack or some sort of future purchase discount agreement from SMC as their at-home GFX testing results actually have some merit.

Does this concept have any believability in helping to discover what was actually sold to the customer or at least create some ideas to help the parties involved come to a common ground? I don't know but it is something to think about.