HERE IS AN IDEA FOR 10th SCALE PAN CAR - Page 7 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Radio Control Vehicles > RC Oval Racing > RC Oval Racing General Discussion
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 12:48 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Shawn it was the Associated Dual Sport, I believe that is what you are thinking of.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

yes that is it, i thought that was it but wasnt sure. Notice we have no new dual sports released? I wonder why! LOL
Old 12-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

I mentioned this some time ago in a different thread. Was dismissed as a dreamer!

Oval needs bodies, bodies who run pan cars already. Now it would seem to me it would be easier to recruit from "on- road" crew than totally green horns. Only 1/12 and 1/10 "on road" pan cars. Utilize their existing setups (batteries etc). COT bodies as you know are available for each scale. Most are runnung or converting to single cell lipo. Maybe out of 10 racers you get 2 add an oval car to their stable you got 2 additional bodies.

That said, I believe there is the pool of bodies to recruit from.

One final note. You have to be in the public eye to recruit. Not at a commercial indoor track and not cloistered in a trailer!! In a mall or weather permitting a mall or shopping center parking lot. Find clubs and invite the members to come out and join. Be available to answer questions
Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 PM

My Photos

Just commenting - what I think grows the hobby...

1. BEING HELPFUL
I got into oval racing because there were people at my hobby shop (used to be KN / RC - now Turn 4) that took a 11 year old kid with a beat up Blackfoot seriously. I saw the oval cars and figured I'd try it. The racers were always helpful and usually would GIVE me the small misc. parts I needed to go fast (springs, tires...etc). If you just show up to be fast, to break records, and to win and that doesn't help the hobby. I'd rather spend a day practicing and helping a kid setup his car than go racing and get screamed at from the driver's stand.

2. CHEAP ENTRY LEVEL
It used to be that the SK class was a solid chassis with the dynamic strut front end. They probably handled poorly but they were CHEAP and everyone ran cheap batteries and cheap motors (that the house held onto!). That class has since evolved into basically another pan car class - so its not cheap anymore. The types of people that would have started in the SK class have nowhere to begin now...

I'd be willing to bet that with the availability of 'cheap' brushed equipment a "classic" SK car could be sold RTR really competitively. PLUS because they're not weight biased, you COULD take them in parking lots and bang around outside. Offer the car with a cheap FM radio (reuseable for pan) and a modest brushless / brushed ESC and you'd be able to upgrade to the more complex SK chassis or pan car chassis later on while still using a good chunk of your original equipment (radio, esc, tires, misc parts. etc).

The only catch is that it has to be PROMOTED...

Just thinking...
Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

both good Points!

Also need to do something about tires. i know there are spec tires maybe a Touring car rubber. to keep the cost down. i do not have the magical answer here. But then again you must have people willing to want to race.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:49 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
One final note. You have to be in the public eye to recruit. Not at a commercial indoor track and not cloistered in a trailer!! In a mall or weather permitting a mall or shopping center parking lot. Find clubs and invite the members to come out and join. Be available to answer questions
Finally someone who gets it.

I have mentioned this to my home track and have gotten chastized like you would not believe.

I was met the the attitude of "we have this track no way am I running on a parking lot". That guy just does not get it. He cannot see that by having a expo race that we would get more bodies seeing us in once race that all the new guys that have stopped by the track in the entire time it has been in existance.

Think about it, if you did not have a buddy in the hobby, how did you hear about it? You probably saw it somewhere. In the mall or in a parking lot.

On the part about being helpful, I 100% agree. Don't be an ass to the new guys, go up to them and welcome them to the race, bring them to your pit and introduce them around and let them know what is going on. Oh, tell them they do not have to have all the latest whiz-bang stuff to have a good time. Tell them you are addicted and cannot stop buying all this stuff. Soon they too will have the bug and understand.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

At some of the tracks I run at, we run Slashes on carpet oval and dirt oval with 1/8th dirt oval bodies. They are a blast. The basic rules are out of the box with only radio changes allowed. We are including SC10s, Blitz, & Strikes as well. The bodies are anywhere from $45 to $65 but the rest of the truck you use as it is. Turn the front bumper over and the body attaches to stock body mounts.

At one track they run these trucks on an on road track. They add a few wooden jumps with carpet and then remove them for the VTA and 1/12th class.

We are also running a new class at one of the tracks. It is NASTRUCK on 1/12th chassis. We use Windtunnel bodies (they are the only one I know of for 1/12th chassis). We started the class with Trinity Spec motors, small 2 cell lipos, and no other rules. We are testing with 1 cell 17.5 brushless and may mix the two or separate depending on what the racers and track mangement wants to do. This is ecomonical because everyone is buying used 1/12th and running components they already have; since our Legends class mixes Spec motors and 4 cell Spec batts with brushless motors and 1 cell lipos.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:51 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

ok something else that has worked! a Slow Loaner CAR!!!!! it has work a couple times for us!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Racer

My Photos

Rubber tires would be great for a newbie type oval car. This would make it so you COULD take it out in a parking lot, plus take all of the thinking and chunking frustration of foam tires away.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:10 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

1 cell 21.5 street stock body fiberglass chassis rubber tire class with a single Gear ratio! LOL
Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
Finally someone who gets it.

I have mentioned this to my home track and have gotten chastized like you would not believe.

I was met the the attitude of "we have this track no way am I running on a parking lot". That guy just does not get it. He cannot see that by having a expo race that we would get more bodies seeing us in once race that all the new guys that have stopped by the track in the entire time it has been in existance.

Think about it, if you did not have a buddy in the hobby, how did you hear about it? You probably saw it somewhere. In the mall or in a parking lot.

On the part about being helpful, I 100% agree. Don't be an ass to the new guys, go up to them and welcome them to the race, bring them to your pit and introduce them around and let them know what is going on. Oh, tell them they do not have to have all the latest whiz-bang stuff to have a good time. Tell them you are addicted and cannot stop buying all this stuff. Soon they too will have the bug and understand.
A local hobby shop runs their on road races in the parking lot next to their strip mall. The street is a major 4 lane road in the town. They always have spectators and guys who practically crash their cars when they drive by the track. The guy who runs the track is super friendly and tries to get anyone interested involved in some way. This track has the most new people I have ever seen.

Exposure + friendly welcome = new racers
Old 12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Here is an idea.

Step one:

Get the racers to the track. Invite all those dirt track racers with thier slashes, edm's and all the guys with the losi late models and sprint cars and legend cars and touring cars and whatever else there is, just get them to the track, more cars can turn left then just pan cars. Let those guys have fun racing thier cars or trucks and see what it is like to go left, while they are there racing they will see the pan cars racing and you guys having fun, you are having fun right, some will get the itch to get a pan car and go faster some will not but hopefully there will be a few. Now the track is getting money and staying open so you can race your pan car.

Step two:

Change the rules for the truck class that the TOUR has set up to allow cars to race that have brushed motors and round cells. This is suppose to be a hobby class so let the hobby racers race in it. Heavily mandiate the rules for the brushless motors so the brushed motor can compete. Why rule out racers that want to race but cannot afford or want to update all thier equipment. The Vintage Touring car guys made it work, it should work for oval also. If that is done, now you have a spot for the Breeze to race at in its current configeration, wait, you will have to put a truck body in the box instead of a car. There may be some tweeking to this but it should work. No classes added to pan cars but hopefully the pan cars will start growing. DO NOT change the other classes, if a driver wants to move up he can buy the brushless setup and go racing in whatever class he wants then he already has a car.

What do you all think?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
Here is an idea.

Step one:

Get the racers to the track. Invite all those dirt track racers with thier slashes, edm's and all the guys with the losi late models and sprint cars and legend cars and touring cars and whatever else there is, just get them to the track, more cars can turn left then just pan cars. Let those guys have fun racing thier cars or trucks and see what it is like to go left, while they are there racing they will see the pan cars racing and you guys having fun, you are having fun right, some will get the itch to get a pan car and go faster some will not but hopefully there will be a few. Now the track is getting money and staying open so you can race your pan car.

Step two:

Change the rules for the truck class that the TOUR has set up to allow cars to race that have brushed motors and round cells. This is suppose to be a hobby class so let the hobby racers race in it. Heavily mandiate the rules for the brushless motors so the brushed motor can compete. Why rule out racers that want to race but cannot afford or want to update all thier equipment. The Vintage Touring car guys made it work, it should work for oval also. If that is done, now you have a spot for the Breeze to race at in its current configeration, wait, you will have to put a truck body in the box instead of a car. There may be some tweeking to this but it should work. No classes added to pan cars but hopefully the pan cars will start growing. DO NOT change the other classes, if a driver wants to move up he can buy the brushless setup and go racing in whatever class he wants then he already has a car.

What do you all think?
The brushed and round cell thing is not a good idea for the 17.5 TOUR class. But on a local level if there are a lot of round cell and brushed racers around start up a break-out class and put them all in it. This allows everyone with old stuff and limited money to run on the same track and be competitive. But killing the fastest growing national class is not a good idea...This is just my opinion.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

we gave the slash trucks a shot at are local track in up state ny and it work we made them change there tires there is now like 20 trucks in the class and then there was some intress in edm 17.5 2cell lipo the first nite there was 2 by the 5 nite i think there are like 5 or 6 and sean t2c little help here and i might have to run one for u up here send me an email on your best deal donald i cant race any thing else so it should be t2c
Old 12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Keep dirty rubber off the track LOL

SK KIT = 80 skateboard or more advanced (tplate or monoball style) 125 DRC
Street stock body=18.00 Mcallister they need something they like to watch race
WGT foams =42 BSR take the guess work out
17.5 havoc =149 both esc and motor
40c 1 cell lipo = 55 IP anyway

with both of the Sk conversion kits you would need front ends the alum pod plates axle hubs I am sure the SK guys could make up a cost saving kit for this allso.

Jake

Last edited by JDW; 12-27-2009 at 11:48 PM..