Simplicity snowblower w/B&S engine won't start - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair 4-Cycle
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 AM

My Photos

Simplicity snowblower w/B&S engine won't start

Hello. Question about the following:

Machine:
Simplicity Single Stage Sno-Away snowblower (1970's)
Model # 990559

Engine:
Briggs & Stratton "Sno/Gard" 6HP 4-stroke
Model # 146412-1159-01 (-99)

Problem:
Won't start. (It'll start if you pour a little gas in the cylinder, but it just dies right away.)

Other info:
  • We just got it, don't know a lot about it. It's missing the air filter assembly - the previous owner just put an open-ended rubber tube in it's place. But that's the only thing that stands out so far.
  • Good spark plug, proper gap verified
  • Has spark
  • Rebuilt the carb
  • Cleaned out the gas tank and petcock
  • New fuel filter
  • Fresh gas

I'm at the end of my knowledge. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

If it will start and run off a prime only, then that pretty much indicates that there is still a problem with the carburetor.

May need to soak in a bath type cleaner and install a kit. Kit does not show to be available from Briggs, but is still available aftermarket.

http://tewarehouse.com/7-02010
Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM

My Photos

Just a quick thought before you order the kit suggested above. When you cleaned everything up, did you make sure to re-open the petcock? Are you sure gas is getting to the carb? Seems like a dumb question, but sometimes...
Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 AM

My Photos

Ended up being an air leak, or so it seems. I pulled the intake elbow between the carb and the head, and it looked like there was some moisture on the carb-side gasket. Also, the size of the gasket that I'd used from the rebuild kit wasn't quite right so I replaced it. I added a little silicone gasket sealer* to both ends of the elbow just to be sure, put it back on, and cranked all the carb bolts down fairly hard. (And there was some leeway to screw a few of them in further.)

I opened up the bottom jet from 1.5 turns, and she started for me after reaching 2.5 or 3 turns. The only problem now is that it either wants to rev real high, or die - I have to hold the idle on the carb just right to keep it from going either way. I didn't have time to tweak the jets much today, but the bottom jet is currently at 2 and the top jet is at 1/4 or 1/2. I think there might be something wrong with the throttle linkage or cable - the carb just pops wide open as soon as you push the throttle lever up a little. This is the first snow blower I've ever worked on, so I'm still finding my way around. Any advice on what to adjust?

* = The gasket sealer says it shouldn't be used on any gas parts, but I wanted to see if I could get this sucker going. I suppose I should I wipe it off...
Old 10-31-2009, 01:09 PM

My Photos

Any advice on how to get the throttle and idle set right?
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
If it will start and run off a prime only, then that pretty much indicates that there is still a problem with the carburetor.

May need to soak in a bath type cleaner and install a kit. Kit does not show to be available from Briggs, but is still available aftermarket.

as 30 year said time for a carb rebuild
Old 10-31-2009, 06:00 PM

My Photos

I'd already rebuilt the carb prior to starting this thread. Which is why I was stumped by the no-start issue. I also pointed out the fact that I'd rebuilt the carb in my first post where I state... "rebuilt the carb." The snowblower is also running now, which is explained in my 2nd post. My last post just restates the question from my 2nd post.

Last edited by tredwel; 10-31-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdman97 View Post
as 30 year said time for a carb rebuild
good advice looking right at ya!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 AM

My Photos

Already rebuilt. See post right above yours... Hello, is this thing on?

Now that it's running, the throttle/idle problem appears to involve the linkage - I'm looking for some diagrams, but I suspect some of the parts involved are bent or misaligned.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:20 PM

My Photos

carb rebuilt has so many level it ain't funny. what they are trying to tell you is all the symptoms point to a carb that STILL isn't right. could be still dirty, have a jet plugged up or a tiny passage still not cleared. looks clean and is clean are 2 totally different things. if it starts with a little gas poured in it and dies when that gas runs out, then its a carb issue. running now might just mean that something jarred lose outta a passage and its getting some fuel now. spark and compression have been eliminated by that simple test. by the way, "most" snow throwers don't have a air cleaner. good luck
Old 11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Since you have rebuilt the carb, I would say you probably have an air leak, so with the engine running spray carb/brake parts cleaner along all the mating surfaces between the carb and block, if the engine tempo changes you have found the leak and can take the appropriate action, there may also be a crack in the intake. Have a good one. Geo