Ho Drag Race Timing Systems - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Slot Cars > Slot Car Track Building
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Ho Drag Race Timing Systems

I am considering purchasing a ho drag strip for my own use (at least right now). My next step is educating myself and comparing the different timing systems. Can somebody give me some insight on this matter ( I really didn't want to spend a bunch of money since the strip will run me around $500 - $600). I've heard of Trik Traxx but they have no support, that bothers me since this would be the first one I've ever done and I'm told a good one would run $500 ( I do like there tree though). I've also heard of Track Mate and I like the features of the 3000 but not the price nor the tree and i was told it would cost me another $80 for a circuit board? to hook up a larger tree. Is there anybody else out there that has a good quality product for drag racing at a lower price. Or is there a way to Build my own tree, buy my own sensors and hook it up to program that may exist?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I'd like to know that too.

I'd be happy with a tree that would show a foul start and a set of win lights.

When I used to drag race it was all heads up anyway.

Gonzo
Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Auto-world is bring out a dragstrip...tree and all....
Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I heard that too Crimnick.

Trouble is they are so seccretive as to when and then you will have to guess.

Hope it's so.

Gonzo
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 AM

My Photos

Track Mate 2000 is all you need upgrading to a larger tree is easy. The 3000 is overkill for HO, but has all the bells and whistles. The Autoworld track will be a nice recreational setup, but you will not get the timimg feature or the ability to put power cars down the track. It is being made for std. repop TJets and Xtraction line of cars.

To do it right you need a $1500 - $2000 budget. That will afford you a TKO or Max Track, Track Mate timing system and appropriate power supply.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

I spoke with the guys at Track Mate and they told me that the 2000 didn't have the ability to take a larger tree and if I upgraded to the 3000 ($200 more than the 2000) I would still need another $80 piece. I believe they said I'd need a 12 volt circuit board. Right now I'm looking at a Trick Trax system. I know a guy who will sell me one for about the price of a Track Mate 2000 system. The specs seem to be comparable, the larger tree is definitely more desirable however knowing that there is no support really bothers me since this will be my first drag strip and I am not familiar with the product. I saw a company called SRT (I believe it was for Slot Car Racing Technology) to find out whether or not they had a product for drag racing. That's the reason I started the thread, my knowledge base is limited however by posting I expand it greatly.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Most Interesting Member

My Photos

You can use Slot Race Manager for a drag race program, but it's just the software. You would need to build all the components yourself. SRM will run a tree directly off the computer, so the tree must be lit with LEDs. There is a thread somewhere about SRM, and this subject is covered. SRM is freeware.
There is also a drag race system made for gravity racing diecast cars. I've seen this system used for slot cars.

Rich

( This post has been skipped by Gonzo as an affordable alternative )

Last edited by NTxSlotCars; 10-25-2009 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Invisibility
Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

$1500/$2000 to do it wright ???

Wow ! Brother I respectfully am appauled with the pricing for this hobby. Now if I was in it for a buisiness, I could see the investment. Maybe that's what you was refering to. I only assumed we were all here for the hobby end of it. You'd surely think that some of these smart guys could come up with somthing that we could pull out and have a fun day in the garage without having to have a big budget like that.

As for the hobby end , I get as much satisfaction out of the building as I do the racing. For those inclined , why not set up an old time f`lashlight start and a spotter finish like street racing ??? Best 2 out of 3 wins , flip for the lane choice each round. that way you could use that budget for building new cars or adding on to the garage so as to not have to take your drag track down after each race.

I'm not giving up on the hobby , I'm just looking for a way to make it affordable.

Gonzo
Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Robot Elder

My Photos

GG,,
Nothing wrong with running your drags.. with a flashlight and a spotter... It used to be done that way , just outside of town on a crudely marked 1/4.. today it's called street racing..
Timing systems are great and needed if you want to run bracket races or you are running cars so fast you can't see em at the finish line.. (yes they do exist)...
For just good old heads up dragracing, go with a simple start light..
I have a Max Trax drag strip yet to be set up, no timing system for it yet,, not sure when I will get one either.. once the track is set up, I figure good old heads up racing will be fun... or run it like Pinks, give em car length... etc..
CJ
Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

NTxSlotCars I did a search for SRM and their weren't any matches. When I tried Slot Race Manger there was some sort of error. Could you send me the link, as far as components other than building a tree would everything else just be wiring up LEDs to a start/ finish line or does it have a speed trap? Since it's freeware I didn't think it would have the capability to have multiple sensors like the Track Mate 2000 and 3000 have.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Most Interesting Member

My Photos

Hey SJR,
I wound up having to search page by page, as I got the same results you did.
Here's the SRM thread...
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=251075

I wish I knew how to label them better, but here are some more HO drag strip threads.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=223290

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=252479

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=214703

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=146561

That's all I got dude.

Rich
Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 AM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
I spoke with the guys at Track Mate and they told me that the 2000 didn't have the ability to take a larger tree and if I upgraded to the 3000 ($200 more than the 2000) I would still need another $80 piece. I believe they said I'd need a 12 volt circuit board. Right now I'm looking at a Trick Trax system. I know a guy who will sell me one for about the price of a Track Mate 2000 system. The specs seem to be comparable, the larger tree is definitely more desirable however knowing that there is no support really bothers me since this will be my first drag strip and I am not familiar with the product. I saw a company called SRT (I believe it was for Slot Car Racing Technology) to find out whether or not they had a product for drag racing. That's the reason I started the thread, my knowledge base is limited however by posting I expand it greatly.
I am running a TKO with a 2000 system. The tree is a large tree with std. semi marker lights as the bulbs.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:36 AM

My Photos

Maybe a little late, but SRM can also be used to steer a full size light tree, with real lights. You need to use relais to realise this.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
$1500/$2000 to do it wright ???

Wow ! Brother I respectfully am appauled with the pricing for this hobby. Now if I was in it for a buisiness, I could see the investment. Maybe that's what you was refering to. I only assumed we were all here for the hobby end of it. You'd surely think that some of these smart guys could come up with somthing that we could pull out and have a fun day in the garage without having to have a big budget like that.

As for the hobby end , I get as much satisfaction out of the building as I do the racing. For those inclined , why not set up an old time f`lashlight start and a spotter finish like street racing ??? Best 2 out of 3 wins , flip for the lane choice each round. that way you could use that budget for building new cars or adding on to the garage so as to not have to take your drag track down after each race.

I'm not giving up on the hobby , I'm just looking for a way to make it affordable.

Gonzo
The hobby is as cheap or expensive as you want to make it, why be respectfully appalled if someone wants to drop $1500 on a drag strip setup? They probably won't be appalled that you want to do it with a flashlight....

I won't tell you what I spent on my track if you don't tell me what you skimped on on yours.... Just have fun with it on whatever your budget is and it's all good. I started out counting laps in my head on a Tomy track, have since upgraded a bit, it's all good.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM

My Photos

For my drag strip Im going to try one of those free ones first that will do up to six or more lanes and use lanes 1,2,3 for the near and lanes 4,5,6 for the far that way I can get 60' times 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile lanes 1 and 4 would be the 60' time, 2 and 5 would be the 1/8 mile time and 3 and 6 would be the 1/4 hopefully ( in theory ) it works. Any input would be great not to hijack the thread.