1980 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Model Cars
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

1980 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

When it comes to diecast or plastic models, be they automobiles, trucks, motorcycles or planes, I am pretty much a sucker for anything. Yet this 1/24 plastic kit by Testors, a Level 2- Moderate, turned me off completely by the very ugly photo of the built Camaro model on the box. I must have seen this kit six or seven times in the same store, with a price that was cheap, too, I believe four dollars. But I just couldn't get over what an ugly-looking model the box photo depicted, so rejecting it was continuous. I like Chevies and Camaros, but this one, my gosh, it looked so pathetic. Finally, one day the darn thing was marked down to only two dollars, so I figured, what the heck, it would be a fun time to try and build a plastic kit after some fifty years. Plus, if I totally blotched it, there wasn't really anything to lose. And I definitely wanted to satisfy my insatiable curiosity: Could the actual model be THAT ugly?

Here is a picture of the kit's box:

Here are pics of the finished model:

(By the way, body-wise, don't the 77-79 Camaros have ram air hoods and slotted fender vents and the 80-81s have cowl induction hoods and open fender vents? The model has an induction hood, slotted fender vents and the chassis has molded in text: 1980 Firebird. Another issue, the rear side markers. On photos of 1980 Camaros, I didn't see any. Yet this model has them. Perhaps this is a Testors hybrid Firebird/Camaro?)

Thanks for looking....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

You're right in your assessment. This is a hybrid model for sure. Even comes with the Trans Am wheels. I won't say it is the worst model out there, but it comes close to Palmer standards.

What you built and what I see on the box are two different things. I think you did a pretty darn good job for $2 worth of model. And coincidentally that should have been the price of that particular kit, well, the Firebird too.

So welcome back to modeling. What's your next project?
Chris
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM

My Photos

That kit is a prime example of what the builder can do when they put their mind to it. Nice work.

edit. the engine looks off for a Camaro, looks like an Oldsmobile engine that was used in the late 70s Trans Ams
Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 PM

My Photos

You did really well with that car, I always thought was an ugly car on the box as well, but that body style of Z28 is my favorite. Good job.
Russell
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty455 View Post
You're right in your assessment. This is a hybrid model for sure. Even comes with the Trans Am wheels. I won't say it is the worst model out there, but it comes close to Palmer standards.

What you built and what I see on the box are two different things. I think you did a pretty darn good job for $2 worth of model. And coincidentally that should have been the price of that particular kit, well, the Firebird too.

So welcome back to modeling. What's your next project?
Chris
Thanks for the compliments.

Right now I am working on a Great Garages 1/43 scale set-up with all the shop equipment and tools, etc. Lots of stuff to paint and detail. Plus, the kit came with a 1/43 diecast Dodge Viper that needs to be detailed and put together too. Fun project but tedious and eye-straining. Will post pics when I finish.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Nothing wrong with it at all.
I collect all Firebird/Trans Am models, and I have those versions.
Only I never got them for 2 bucks!
Good score, and nice build!

George
Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Nice job! I am eyeing the kits we have here after a long absence. I may have to haul one of them out.