Paint thinner = Mineral spirits? Same thing? - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > The Modeling Forum
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM

My Photos

Paint thinner = Mineral spirits? Same thing?

All paint thinners are mineral spirits?
Mineral spirits safe on most camel hair and synthetic brushes?

Safe to thin out, both acrylic and enamel?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Paint thinner and Mineral spirits are the same thing look at the contents on a paint thinner can it will say mineral spirits.. It works on Oil base paint not on Acrylic as these paints are water based.. The term enamel typicaly any more means a hard shiny paint..Back in the days before Global warming theory it was primarily oil based and lead used for everything from wood to metal..Today there are Acrylic enamels as alot of oil based paints are being phased out due to stricter VOC regulations...Jeff
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Paint thinner and Mineral Spirits may NOT be the same thing. Be very careful if you are buying hardware store products for use with model paints and model plastic.

Testors thinner/brush cleaner IS essentially the same as Mineral Spirits (also called White Spirits). Some of the hardware stuff is "hotter" than others, but most should be just find for models. I have a bottle of Ace Hardware mineral spirits and that works fine.

But there are other paint thinner products on the market that are not mineral spirits... They can be for lacquers, etc. So be careful...

Enamels can be thinned with Mineral Spirits or Lacquer Thinner. For brush painting I use the MS... but for airbrushing, I always use LT. It makes them flow better, dry faster, etc. Good stuff!

Acrylics are generally thinned with water, or an acrylic thinner that looks, feels and smells suspiciously like Rubbing/Isopropyl Alcohol. I have thinned Testors, Poly Scale and Tamiya acrylics all with Water or Isop just fine.

However, you can thin many acrylics with Lacquer Thinner. It is a VERY good thinner for acrylics and I thin Tamiya paints wtih LT for airbrushing in particular.

If you want a universal thinner for both enamels and acrylics... try Lacquer Thinner.

Always test new thinners with different brands of paints just to make sure they work.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnick66 View Post
Paint thinner and Mineral Spirits may NOT be the same thing. Be very careful if you are buying hardware store products for use with model paints and model plastic.

Testors thinner/brush cleaner IS essentially the same as Mineral Spirits (also called White Spirits). Some of the hardware stuff is "hotter" than others, but most should be just find for models. I have a bottle of Ace Hardware mineral spirits and that works fine.

But there are other paint thinner products on the market that are not mineral spirits... They can be for lacquers, etc. So be careful...

Enamels can be thinned with Mineral Spirits or Lacquer Thinner. For brush painting I use the MS... but for airbrushing, I always use LT. It makes them flow better, dry faster, etc. Good stuff!

Acrylics are generally thinned with water, or an acrylic thinner that looks, feels and smells suspiciously like Rubbing/Isopropyl Alcohol. I have thinned Testors, Poly Scale and Tamiya acrylics all with Water or Isop just fine.

However, you can thin many acrylics with Lacquer Thinner. It is a VERY good thinner for acrylics and I thin Tamiya paints wtih LT for airbrushing in particular.

If you want a universal thinner for both enamels and acrylics... try Lacquer Thinner.

Always test new thinners with different brands of paints just to make sure they work.

What would you clean up DRIED acrylic paint off paint brushes with?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM

My Photos

Well...you can't...very well. You could try getting a liquid brush cleaner that cleans dried oils, acrylics, watercolor stained brushes from an art store . You need to soak them in it for hours/days, though.

...but it might be cheaper to buy a new brush...or wash/rinse your brush often when using acrylics.

Last edited by ShadOAB; 06-18-2009 at 08:22 PM..
Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

My Photos

Hi . Djnick66 Would The Apple barrel brand at AC. Moore and Mic heals count as Acyclic to be thinned with Alcohol and MS? thanks; Aurora1Craig
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

My Photos

I purchased Kleen Strip Mineral Spirits. I notice it has a milky white appearance. Is this ok to use to thin with my enamel paints? Will the milky white color affect colors? Or is there a such thing as "clear" Mineral Spirits?