Monogram _ Revell Armor - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Military / Aircraft Models
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Deactivated

My Photos

Monogram _ Revell Armor

HI ALL i am not a big armor guy but will be getting the new reissues of the monogram 1/32 ?? scale stuff coming out such as the hedgehog and others i remember building these when i was a little kid does anyone know of a website dealing with this scale ? THANKS rob
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wolfe View Post
HI ALL i am not a big armor guy but will be getting the new reissues of the monogram 1/32 ?? scale stuff coming out such as the hedgehog and others i remember building these when i was a little kid does anyone know of a website dealing with this scale ? THANKS rob
It's really a dead scale now. YOu won't find much interest in 1/32 these days. Oddly, Monogram started out with 1/35 scale for their Jeep, Eager Beaver, Halftrack, Weasel and Patton tank, but switched to 1/32 scale for the Panzer IV, M3 Lee, etc. By the early 70s 1/35 really became the dominant armor scale, and most other companies focused on that size. Even brands like Nichimo, who had quite a few 1/30 kits, started over in 1/35 as that was quite the rage then.

Revell is only reissuing the M3 Lee and M4 "Hedge Hog" kits. The Lee is so so but the SHerman is pretty poor. The last time any quantity of the old Monogram stuff was available was back in the mid 80s when both Revell and Monogram (independent companies still then) put out a lot of their old armor...

If you google around there are a couple sites with scans of the old Shep Paine diorama sheets included in the old Monogram kits.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Deactivated

My Photos

THANKS FOR THE INFO ill try to find that on the web thanks again rob
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

I had a ball building them, and if you "squint" you really can't tell any scale differences. Have fun, grab 'em and build 'em...it's better than paying 60 bucks for a new kit.
Steve
Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM

My Photos

A long time ago I built a sherman with a calliope rocket rack on the turret and a hedge cutter on the front. I don't have it anymore but I'm pretty sure it was one of the revell 1/32 kits. Not highly detailed but not bad either, I'd love to find one again to build and at a few feet away its SO close to 1/35 I wouldn't worry at all about using 1/35 stuff with it.

IF i remember correctly there is a noticeable difference between the 1/32 and 1/35 figurs but if you use all 1/35 figure/crew it looks ok. only really noticeable if you have 2 of the same vehicle side by side.

Last edited by aric; 06-23-2009 at 04:09 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

There is a fair difference in size between the old 1/32 kits and 1/35. Anyone who says otherwise needs some new glasses. They are just bigger all around and don't mix well with other 1/35 models.

Of the two Shermans Monogram did, the M4A1 was the better of the two. The M4 has more issues. Both kits suffer greatly from using the chassis and exhaust from the M3 Medium Tank, which is different from the M4 Sherman chassis. The wheels are suitable for very early production M4 and M4A1 tanks. If you want to improve the kits, use the suspension from the old Tamiya M10 and M36 kits... its close to 1/32 and is correct for the Sherman. Likewise Tamiya's tracks are marginally better than Monogram's. Both companies made the mistake of putting the track link end connectors centered on each link versus actually connecting two links together. If you can find one of the Motormax screw together pre painted Sherman "kits" they used to sell at Wal Mart those are good for suspension, tracks and accessory parts.

The reissue kits aren't cheap either considering the molds are 35 years old. $25 is steep compared to just buying a vintage kit on eBay. And for $10 more you can get the older Tamiya Sherman which is still nice, or one of the Italeri kits.

Airfix Multipose figures work well with the Monogram tanks, as do a lot of resin and metal figs which are 54mm versus 1/35 scale.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM

My Photos

I still have my Monogram Strumgeshultz (?) , Panzer IV and a bunch of the US jeeps and stuff. I wish 1/32 had stuck and not 1/35. For their time, Monograms armor was pretty nice.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Deactivated

My Photos

not a real big armor guy but i have always liked the mono stuff 2
Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Ditto...I had quite a few Monogram armor kits in the 70's. Nice detail...the half track and weasel were my favorites.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 PM

My Photos

1:32 was never a dead scale. It has been a constant in aircraft modeling, and in the finest metal figure kits. In the toy soldier hobby, it is the preferred scale. The Monogram armor kits were great in their day, and are still a fairly accurate and fun build right out of the box. The recent emergence of well detailed, diecast, pre-painted 1:32 armor and figures in the traditional test-market big box toy stores indicate a probable return of plastic armor kits in this scale again, which would be a logical conclusion; It fits in with model railroad scales and aircraft modelers, and is so much easier on the eyes than 1:35. 1:48 came back. 1:16 emerged. Here comes 1:32, back again, I hope
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

It is a dead scale for armor modelling. Even now with Aircraft though you are seeing more and more planes coming out in 1/35... and helicopters too, so that the planes can be used with military kits.

Die cast toys in 1/32 yes... new 1/32 plastic tank kits, doubtful. A lot of the pre finished stuff is scaled up from old Tamiya kits in 1/35. 21st Century toys was doing a lot but they are out of business now.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM

My Photos

Yes, it is a dead scale for armor, which really is a shame, because the larger size makes the building easier, and the details which we spend so much time on in 1:35, are much more discernable. It may not be dead for long, though. I do think there will be some high quality plastic kits in this scale, because of the toy soldier hobby. Toy soldier hobbyists have already restored a market for highly detailed 1:32 armored vehicles; Toy soldier casting technology, just like plastic assembly kit technology, has advanced significantly, with no signs of slowing, as there is more demand than ever for detail, detail, detail. The better toy soldiers are now molded in sub-assemblies, and assembled prior to sale, and are really beginning to approach the precision of plastic assembly kits. the toy soldier hobbyists are not willing to settle for the often toy-like marx and Ideal recasts, or the OK-for-their-day Airfix offerings, among others. I recently picked up a Monogram Panzer IV on Ebay,and took a close look at the detailing. LOL, it's not Dragon, but I think with some reference, and some scratch-building, it could still build up into a respectable representation of the vehicle. At least I hope so, because that is what I intend to do with it. As for figures, Airfix Multi-pose are useable, and I know that Esci made some out of scale 1:35 figures (German Sappers,for example) which would be suitable, and in the case with some items, would provide better detailed and more closely scaled weapons and gear than Airfix. Does anyone know of any other larger scale 1:35 figures that might fit in with my project?

Last edited by Bogey W. Heels; 07-24-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

The Airfix figures were cool in the day but are POOR by 2009 standards. The big problem is the weird uniforms. The Germans, US Infantry, Marines, etc all have strange mixes of details that aren't really accurate or useful. If you just want a Generic US or German solder they are ok... but if you want something accurate, they are not so good. Their idea is good, detail isnt bad... just the accuracy isnt waht it could be.

A lot of the older Dragon figures are 1/32 desptie being sold as 1/35. Some are like 1/30... HUGE. Verlinden has some big resin figrues too. FYI a lot of the Verlinden resin infantry equipment are resin copies of the Multipose parts... their Garands still have the Airfix ejector pin marks inside.

If you like old figures, the Monogram/Merit metal guys are still being sold and IIRC they are only $10 a pop or so.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 PM

My Photos

Spotted this thread and thought I would ask,I'm looking for the 37mm gun that went with the monogram jeep,I want to use it on the Italeri Elco PT Boat as I'm converting it to PT 109 the one used by JFK in the Pacific,cheers,Gordon
Old 07-26-2009, 07:40 AM

My Photos

I remember having a couple of these kits when I was young and would love to see Monogram re-issue more of these kits. They had a pretty fare selection of them as memory serves. Mostly german armor, but the selection was really cool too.

model on !!!

Dave