1/6 Scale Lost In Space Robot - Page 4 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

A thousand years ago I read somewhere that the bubble for the robot was blown and then the top was simply pressed down by hand until the desired shape was arrived at. It was a trial and error process. Be interesting to check the 1:1 robot replica build sites to see if there's any info on how the replica parts are made. As far as scale modeling goes, I've never come across anything on blowing plastic. The only way I can think of to replicate a hollow bubble would be either vac form or resin casting, both methods using something akin to the lost wax modeling technique. While the outer form could be two halves to release the bubble, the inner form would either have to be totally destroyed to remove it from inside the bubble or it would have to consist of maybe 5 parts, 4 outers and a core, finished perfectly smoothly on the outside but able to split apart into its components for removal. Neither blowing and pressing or the removable inner mold lends itself to mass production.
The only way to get a seamless bubble "mass" produced is a resin casting capturing the bubble's interior permanently inside, and while producing a bubble free crystal clear casting isn't easy (you need either a vac chamber or a pressure chamber), it is possible, and maybe there is a skilled after market person out there who will undertake it.
Question: which seam would be least obtrusive and easiest to clean up - the robot's styrene bubble split horizontally or split vertically? I'm thinking vertically. ??
Old 05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I would be interested in a large scale B-9 - My only requirement would be accuracy, as many others have stated.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseeker View Post
A thousand years ago I read somewhere that the bubble for the robot was blown and then the top was simply pressed down by hand until the desired shape was arrived at. It was a trial and error process. Be interesting to check the 1:1 robot replica build sites to see if there's any info on how the replica parts are made. As far as scale modeling goes, I've never come across anything on blowing plastic. The only way I can think of to replicate a hollow bubble would be either vac form or resin casting, both methods using something akin to the lost wax modeling technique. While the outer form could be two halves to release the bubble, the inner form would either have to be totally destroyed to remove it from inside the bubble or it would have to consist of maybe 5 parts, 4 outers and a core, finished perfectly smoothly on the outside but able to split apart into its components for removal. Neither blowing and pressing or the removable inner mold lends itself to mass production.
That's basically how it happened. The plastic was heated then blown into a sphere. While still hot the sphere was pressed between two pieces of wood to give the B9 his distinctive bubble. As Dave mentioned in his previous post there is no way to capture this piece as a single injection molded part.

Truthfully, I've lived with the two piece Aurora bubble for years and it really doesn't bother me. I mean that kit has so many glaring inaccuracies that do bother me I don't fret over a seam in the bubble.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

The bubbletops can be blowmolded by the billions.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 PM

My Photos

Well, I would only want it if it had a full INTERIOR as seen in TRIP THROUGH THE ROBOT where Will and Dr. Smith crawled inside a greatly enlarged Robot.

Or if it had the lower deck of the Jupiter II somehow built into it.

If anyone ever makes a commerically available kit of this, count me in -- and the more accurate, the better. Various "season" versions within same kit would be a plus.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyroy View Post
The bubbletops can be blowmolded by the billions.

Yes, but can they be done to a consistently high quality, reliably (so as not to screw up the rest of the kit's pipeline), and cheaply enough so Moebius can make the kit economically viable (for them and for us)?

Gene
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKvfx View Post
Yes, but can they be done to a consistently high quality, reliably (so as not to screw up the rest of the kit's pipeline), and cheaply enough so Moebius can make the kit economically viable (for them and for us)?
I'm not an expert in the field, but I say "yes" to all. They only need simple, relatively inexpensive two-piece molds, and each mold can have MANY die cavities- all blown at the same time. And whatever parting line there may be, will only be on the outside of the part.

Last edited by toyroy; 05-12-2009 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I think a small mold seam line (as opposed to a glue line between two parts) would be a concession that most builders would willingly deal with. The other thing that is a bit complicated is what goes inside the bubble. Having worked on Greg Jein's restoration, I will say that you do need some "ship in the bottle" skills to get all the parts in there.

Hopefully Frank will get a good feel for the dialog here and look into it sometime in the future.

Gene
Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Vacation Needed

My Photos

Friend of mine built a full-sized B-9 many years ago. He ended up with a spare bubble, which his wife used for a salad bowl.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
Friend of mine built a full-sized B-9 many years ago. He ended up with a spare bubble, which his wife used for a salad bowl.
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/religion...ad_surgery.jpg
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

ALWAYS wanted an ACCURATE model of the B-9 and 1/6th would be the perfect scale. But how to make the bubble without a nasty sea, line? Hmmmm. Maybe they could give us as small a seam as possible right across and leave it to us to use superfine sandpapers to knock it down and polish it out like how Tamiya suggests on their cockpit canopies that have undercuts.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
ALWAYS wanted an ACCURATE model of the B-9 and 1/6th would be the perfect scale. But how to make the bubble without a nasty sea, line? Hmmmm. Maybe they could give us as small a seam as possible right across and leave it to us to use superfine sandpapers to knock it down and polish it out like how Tamiya suggests on their cockpit canopies that have undercuts.
What about a seam that runs side to side, with a front and back? Viewed from the front, as most displays are, you would not see a seam. Just a ramble.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

My Photos

I really hate the idea of a side to side seam.

I'd prefer a 3 part bubble, a bottom with a hole in the center so putting the innards in would be easy, and then a top/bottom.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

The Trendmasters L.I.S. Robot sucks.Seems somewhat about as imprecise as the Masudaya L.I.S. Robot.A precise 1/6th scale L.I.S. Robot would be more than welcome.Let Moebius do it right,finally.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

My Photos

I have both, and while they aren't 100% accurate, I think saying they suck is a tab extreme.

I've had the Masudya for about 15 years now, and while hes not "right" he will always be welcome in my collection.

But I WOULD like to see a 1:6 accurate one, since I have SO many 1:6 scale figures now, from sci fi, to movies, to tv shows.

Last edited by gareee; 05-22-2009 at 04:08 PM..
  HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models