Aurora Wonder Woman? Re-issue? - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > The Modeling Forum
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Aurora Wonder Woman? Re-issue?

Hey guys, has anyone been monitoring how much the old lady is going for now on the market? Anyone else hoping she gets re-issued, reverse engineered etc? I know i'd sure like to see her in styrene again at a much more reasonable price.

Cliff
Old 02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

The Aurora Wonder Woman sealed first sold on eBay for $2000 then others came out of the woodwork so the price dropped to $200-300.

WW won't be reissued but Revell would like to reissue the Aurora Batmobile but they feel there is not enough buyers according to my neighbor. Maybe an exclusive with CultTVman selling them would help?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Love to see a Wonder Woman re-issue. Or a new original in styrene!!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Molds..

Yeah, i know the molds were damaged, lent and lost etc... But in the same fashion PL reverse engineered several of the old Aurora kits we could still see her resurected. I know i'd buy one!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7nut View Post
Hey guys, has anyone been monitoring how much the old lady is going for now on the market? Anyone else hoping she gets re-issued, reverse engineered etc? I know i'd sure like to see her in styrene again at a much more reasonable price.

Cliff
Hi Cliff,

She typically goes for $250 or so built, and upwards to $500-$600 boxed. minty mint may break the $1000 mark.

I have long (very long) wanted this kit repopped. I think Polar Lights was real close at one time to making it happen, but the company was sold, and those plans were squashed. Tom has since got the company back, but any plans to repop WW would involve reverse engineering for sure, which they seem no longer interested in doing. We can hope one day that some company some where gets on this.. but I wouldn't hold your breath. (Too much trouble and not Batman they would think.)

In the meantime, enjoy a pic of mine (always love the chance for a plug):

Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM

My Photos

Wonder woman reissue! Would be a must have for me!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

[quote=Geoff Boaz;2699413]

I think Polar Lights was real close at one time to making it happen, but the company was sold, and those plans were squashed. [quote]

I still remember...When news circulted that PL might reissue Wonder Woman, there used to be discussions, bordering on arguments(!), on the Bulletin Board between those wanting Wonder Woman reverse-engineered in the original 1/12 scale, and those wanting her reissued in 'up-scale' 1/8!

How we took the reissue for granted. The debate dragged on and was never settled, and then like Geoff says, the company was sold anyway!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

It'd be fantastic to have Wonder Woman reissued!! I'm sure there'd be enough interest to justify retooling. I know I'd take one in a heartbeat.
I have a resin copy, but she's bleeding some sort of resin and the paint dries glossy and patchy. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Chris.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

To clear up any misconceptions - Polar Lights was very interested in redoing Wonder Woman, but DC/Time Warner did not want that version of Wonder Woman released and refused to approve it. Ideas were floated to do a completely new pose or to do a similar pose with a Wonder Woman figure acceptible to the licensor.
As long as they are in that mind set, you won't see a repop of that particular Aurora model...
Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Licensing sucks....

Chris.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Looks like buying your resin copy was a good idea after all, Chris, leak or no leak!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroranut View Post
It'd be fantastic to have Wonder Woman reissued!! I'm sure there'd be enough interest to justify retooling. I know I'd take one in a heartbeat.
I have a resin copy, but she's bleeding some sort of resin and the paint dries glossy and patchy. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Chris.
thats due to a bad resin mix, so its inherent in the plastic itself. most folks drememl out the bad areas and replace them with aves (or similar) epoxy putty, however i'm wondering if painting a thin layer of epoxy glue over the bad spots might work.

as to licensing sucking, well wonder woman is dc's property, and its up to them how the character is promoted to the public. its kind of like if someone came to you and wanted to pay you an insignificant amount of money to post a photo of you around town, but the photo they want to distribute is your old yearbook or drivers license photo (or any other photo that you find embarrassing). you'd have the right to say no. so do they. (however i wonder if they re-titled the kit "golden age wonder woman" so it specifically said that his is how she looked back then, their attitude might change.)
Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Thanks Razorwyre.I figured it was uncured resin bleed. I was thinking about trying to seal it with thin superglue. The base and accessories are fine, it's just the figure itself.

Chris.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Yeah, rub it in Geoff!!

AMAZING work Geoff, thanks for sharing it with us!! NOW I REALLY WANT ONE!!!

Cliff
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

I second the nut's post, Geoff! I have a partial buildup that came with box and instructions. It won't be too hard to restore, but everytime I see those ankle straps I get the masking heebie-jeebies. Seeing how well yours came out isn't helping, either!

Mark McGeebie
  HobbyTalk > Models > The Modeling Forum