AMT Enterprise Reissue - Old vs. New packaging - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Science Fiction Modeling
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

AMT Enterprise Reissue - Old vs. New packaging

I know that I am one of many modelers out there who could not wait for the reissue of the original AMT Enterprise kit. Most, or all of us soon knew after the announcement that the kit itself would be the later tooling, albeit with a few refinements, and a new decal sheet. Since the changes it the kit itself have already been shown elsewhere, I thought I would do something different.

That leaves the box. Who wouldn't want a reproduction of the original "large box" release? I certainly would. Now that I have a few of the reissues in hand, I thought I would share some comparison photos between the reissue and one of the originals I still have.

First off - The box cover:

Original on the left, repro on the right.

Other than the slight difference in color saturation with the bottom text, the only real difference is that the reissue box is missing the tiny lettering within the white strip that contains the 1966 Desilu Productions copyright. The reissue also bears a flashy gold sticker on the wrapping in the shape of the uniform delta.

Next, is the "Kirk" side of the box:
Original on top, repro on the bottom.

Nearly the same, save for the original "as seen on NBC-TV" text removed on the far right panel. Kind of figured that they wouldn't include it.

Note: The color of Kirk's shirt in this photo is dead-on to the real on-set color.

On to the "Spock" side of the box:

Nearly the same, save for the change in the text of the "Features" box, eliminating any reference to the lights that were included in the original release. This panel also sports a slightly different shade of blue and a new company name and address.

Now, we see the ends:

Not much difference here at all, except for the kit numbers on the left panels: 921-200 for the original, and AMT610 for the reissue.

The original kit instructions were also reproduced for the reissue. We can see them side-by-side here. First is the front side comparisons:

Aside from the age difference, we can also see that they are not quite the same: The original is a tri-fold, while the reissue in folded in half. Again, the illustrations were altered on the reissue to eliminate any reference to the internal lighting feature of the original kit. A lack of grid lines is also apparent.

On the back side, the lack of lighting, inclusion of batteries, and a different stand are very apparent:

Last, but not least, is the decal sheets:

As you can see - HUGE difference here! This is probably the most noticeable difference between the two, and the best reason (aside from the repro box) to pick up this reissue. The decals are easily worth as much as the price of the entire kit.

All in all, I'm very happy with the reissue of the classic kit. Though not 100% authentic, it is a worthy effort, and I applaud Tom Lowe and Round 2 for sharing our passion of these original releases. I want to see many more.

So far, I have just two of the metal boxes, and many more of the cardboard reissues. The lack of grid lines are a nice change. My old hands thanking Tom Lowe and company for not having to scrape and sand them off ever again. I really am looking forward to the future reissues of the classic Spock kit and the Leif (UFO). I hope that they release the rest of them, too - in their original boxes. Or, as close as they can get.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Der Mondlicht Gamblicher

My Photos

Excellent preview and comparison--thanks! I was hoping someone with the two kits would do just such a comparison.

I agree about the decals.

Also, while I'd prefer nacelle caps, fore and aft, more like the original and a more accurate deflector dish, I like the fact that they did the improvements they did.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Vacation Needed

My Photos

I really wish they'd repop that original stand. It was a real classic.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Thanks for the nice comparison.

While I agree that the expanded decal set is nice, it appears that they are just scale-ups of the 1:1000 sheet. This would mean that the windows on the side of the primary hull won't go on straight, and a couple of other layout issues. (I'm hoping I'm wrong.)
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM

My Photos

Mine arrived with only 1/2 of the instructions (no big deal)
and molding issues on the lower saucer !
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I bought one of the tin box Enterprise kits and I too had a slight molding error on the Lower Saucer.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

My lower saucer appears to be perfectly fine.

What's the nature of the molding issues?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Towards the front of the saucer my primary hull didn't form perfectly.The best way to decribe it.You see the indentations toward the rear of the primary hull where you attach the impulse engine piece.I have an indentation very similar to that near the front of the saucer that has to be filled.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Schlicter View Post
Towards the front of the saucer my primary hull didn't form perfectly.The best way to decribe it.You see the indentations toward the rear of the primary hull where you attach the impulse engine piece.I have an indentation very similar to that near the front of the saucer that has to be filled.
What you're describing sounds like a short shot, where the molten plastic didn't quite fill the entire mold cavity. It should be a very rare occurrence, especially with the increased number of sprue gates for the upper and lower saucer parts. Anyway, sounds like an easy fix.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Modeler's Brand

My Photos

No wonder you are called Trek Ace! That was a great compare-and-contrast.

It is unfortunate about the stand being changed. That original one is much better. Looks like it's very similar to the first refit ERTL released and for the KTinga.

I'll be decaling my kits very soon, so will find out about the malfitting windows soon enough.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpCore Breach View Post
My lower saucer appears to be perfectly fine.

What's the nature of the molding issues?
Mine is actually deformed/melted at the center and has brown spotting from burned plastic.
And yes, it's sealed in the bag... and the weird thing is that I have 1/2 of the instructions ! ?
R2 says talk to the vendor, The vendor says talk to R2.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I remember you mentioning this once before and I was hoping I might be able to get a replacement Primary Hull from Round 2.I had planned to build it straight from the tin and just do some detail painting.Looks like this will be the one I will paint over completley.It doesn't sound too good about getting a replacement part for it Guy S.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM

My Photos

Ditto.
I had planned on not painting it and building it the way I first built it in 1970, straight out of the box with very minimal paint.
I'm not buying another one at $20 just to replace the lower saucer.
Basically.... I've got a pretty box.
Cant tell you how the customer service of 2009 pales with the AMT customer service of 1970........

Last edited by pagni; 01-10-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

It's sad when the manufacturer tells you to deal with the vendor... who only sells the product!

Some major customer relation problems there, for sure.

The tin box version isn't here yet. Not sure if I will get one; they're gonna be expensive here, probably $40. The regular version cost $30.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM

My Photos

I was going to purchase the tin box... not now.