Help with an Atlas 520 snowblower - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair General Discussion
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 12:19 PM

My Photos

Help with an Atlas 520 snowblower

I just bought a used Atlas 520 snowblower,but the guy didn't have the manual for it.Would anyone know where I could find one,or at the very least would someone know what the proper fuel oil mixture would be for it.If it matters it is a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane3 View Post
I just bought a used Atlas 520 snowblower,but the guy didn't have the manual for it.Would anyone know where I could find one,or at the very least would someone know what the proper fuel oil mixture would be for it.If it matters it is a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me.
As far as I know, Atlas went out of business years ago. My Dad had one in the '60's. Don't think you'll be able to find a manual, much less any parts.

You ask about the fuel oil mixture - is this a 2-stroke? Wasn't aware they made one, for that matter didn't think Briggs made a 2-stroke snow engine until the '80's. If it is, there's a cut-off for running 2-strokes on today's 50:1 mix, and given the age of yours, I'd run 32:1 or even 16:1.

If the engine is exposed, and has an oil fill plug near the bottom of the block, it's a 4-stroke. 4-strokes don't use mix, they use straight gas in the tank, and 5W30 in the crankcase (for winter use).
Old 11-28-2008, 11:48 AM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr44 View Post
As far as I know, Atlas went out of business years ago. My Dad had one in the '60's. Don't think you'll be able to find a manual, much less any parts.

You ask about the fuel oil mixture - is this a 2-stroke? Wasn't aware they made one, for that matter didn't think Briggs made a 2-stroke snow engine until the '80's. If it is, there's a cut-off for running 2-strokes on today's 50:1 mix, and given the age of yours, I'd run 32:1 or even 16:1.

If the engine is exposed, and has an oil fill plug near the bottom of the block, it's a 4-stroke. 4-strokes don't use mix, they use straight gas in the tank, and 5W30 in the crankcase (for winter use).
The guy that sold it to me said it was a 2 stroke,but I'll look for the drain plug just to verify that.Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 AM

My Photos

Call MTD tech. line at 800-228-9683 they can look up parts for atlas
Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Amazing. Haven't even seen one in decades. Nice to hear you got support.
Paul
Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane3 View Post
The guy that sold it to me said it was a 2 stroke,but I'll look for the drain plug just to verify that.Thanks for the info.
Are you sure he didn't say 2 stage? refering to the snowblower.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:03 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdman97 View Post
Are you sure he didn't say 2 stage? refering to the snowblower.

No,he said 2 stroke.Maybe he meant to say 2 stage.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM

My Photos

Yep,it has a fill plug near the bottom of the block so that takes care of that.

Thanks for the info guys,I appreciate the help.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:57 PM

My Photos

Most 2 stage blowers I've seen are 4 cycle,and 2 cycle are single stage.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdman97 View Post
Most 2 stage blowers I've seen are 4 cycle,and 2 cycle are single stage.
This is true for the most part for the last say, 40 years. But, previous to that, numerous units were made with a four-stroke engine, and a single-stage, high-speed auger/impellor. Kind of a predecessor to the Toro S-200 series, but all metal, and very dangerous. Atlas, Reo (Reo was bought by Wheel-Horse), and Toro much such models. I think Lambert made one too. Remember the Toro Power-Handle, or Snow-Hound? I worked on a lot of Reo's, even into the 1980's. Also, Sears/Crafts. had an unusual one - a single stage, but the auger-impellor sat sideways like a 2nd stage impellor, so the intake was controlled and managed by forward motion alone. Had funky rods, like studs welded onto the impellor blades to chop up chunks.
Paul
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

power handle? do you mean powershovel by chance?

and I have never seen a 2 stroke 2 stage, I don't even think a 2-stroke would have enough torque to do something like that
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro_maniac69 View Post
power handle? do you mean powershovel by chance?

and I have never seen a 2 stroke 2 stage, I don't even think a 2-stroke would have enough torque to do something like that
Toro Power Handle was just that - an engine on a plate, with a handle, a clutching and a throttle control. You could put it on an lawnmower, edger, snowblower or tiller, possibly more but those ones I've seen.
See 1956 in link:
http://www.thetorocompany.com/compan...ory_1950s.html
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 PM

My Photos

According to an Atlas owner's manual for the 2-cycle A3222J & A3222ESJ models the proper oil is TC-W 2-cycle oil and the mixture should be 1:32 (4oz. oil per gallon of gas). I just bought a used Atlas (also without a manual) and found this website for downloading manuals: http://www.hammerwall.com/Manuals/Atlas/593/ . Now all I need to do is find out which model I own (haven't found any ID labels on it yet), I'm guessing it's the single-stage. Odd that all the single-stage manuals on that site are all for the same model (even though the site specifies otherwise). It probably doesn't matter, though. Checking the other manuals it seems that only the single-stage units need to have oil added to the gas, not the dual-stage units.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM

My Photos

No need to worry about ratio, just buy a good name brand 2 cycle oil, mix a small bottle to a gallon of gas and it will work fine, that is all we used in the shop for over 25 yrs and never had any problem, we used stihl or tanaka oil when we could get it, you can also use echo, stay away from store brands and ones such as homelite, etc. My CCR2000 toro is now about 30 yrs old and still going strong on this mix.

Last edited by duffer72; 12-08-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer72 View Post
name brand 3 cycle oil,
Hmmmmm, I don't believe I have ever run across any of that type of oil before. Where can you buy it, and what's the engine that uses it look like?

Got any pictures?