Mini Bike with JF168 5.5 HP Jiangdong engine - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair 4-Cycle
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 PM

My Photos

Mini Bike with JF168 5.5 HP Jiangdong engine

I got my son this mini bike from a garage sale with this JF168 engine like others in this board i cant find a repair manual on it he was riding and it just quit running now all it does is backfire into the carb. it was running good i have check all the basic 4 stroke engine stuff air filter,plug,fuel,fuel filter,oil it fires every time you pull it but will not start. If we do happen to get it to start it will run for a few seconds at the most and starts backfiring and acts like it is not getting any gas the guy i got it from said it was sitting for a while so we did the whole new fluid thing oil,fuel filter,dumped old gas added fresh was running good for days then this i have also pulled the bowl off the carb.checking for junk in there and it was clean and fuel flow seemed fine

could this be a shear pin timing issue with the flywheel

also if anybody out there has this engine on anything could you plz post the spark plug number here
not sure if the one we have is the right one looks really long for this small engine but i'm more up on B.&S.
P.S. i found the manual online at the companys web site BUT you need a username and password to get it http://jdshanghai.com/DownloadCenter.asp#

I also emailed the name on the dowload center for some help with maybe getting the manual

thank you for your time and help

Wizard1

Last edited by Wizard1; 10-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Try a new spark plug, I would bet that will take care of it. A fouled spark plug will cause this exact problem, so even if your plug looks good, try a new one.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM

My Photos

I would like to know if i have the right spark plug too so if any body has this engine with a spark plug # so i can cross ref. to make sure i got the right one i just replaced the one in the engine with a new one of the same number as the old one but guy i got it from said to was his grandsons and not sure what he did to it like i said this plug looks very long for this small of a engine

thank you again

Wizard1
Old 10-04-2008, 11:25 AM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

The correct spark plug for your engine should be an NGK BPR6ES, Champion RN9YC, Autolite 3923, or equivalent.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:28 PM

My Photos

Thank you very much 30yeartech for the info. and help you have giving me i will give it a try a report back

Thank you again

Wizard1
Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 PM

My Photos

Link to get pub

I also needed the book so I ask for a user id and password from the company. This was what they gave me for generic login...
user:jd001
pp:jdsh001
Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
The correct spark plug for your engine should be an NGK BPR6ES, Champion RN9YC, Autolite 3923, or equivalent.
Hi 30 year veteran, I have one of these 5.5 jdong motors and the pull start broke and I want to know where to find parts for this thing. I live in phoenix az, but if you know the specs of that spring thing that makes the rope recoil after pull I would be deeply gratful.
Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 PM

My Photos

Hi 30 year veteran, I have one of these 5.5 jdong motors and the pull start broke and I want to know where to find parts for this thing. I live in phoenix az, but if you know the specs of that spring thing that makes the rope recoil after pull I would be deeply gratful.
Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Many of the parts on those engines are interchangeable with Honda engine parts, as they are basically clones of the Honda GX engine. If there is a lawn mower dealer in your area that handles Stens parts, they offer many parts that will fit the Clone engines as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM

My Photos

Won't stay running after a engine rebuild

I have one of these engines in a mini bike too. I had to do a rebuild because the rings blew.
I got it all back together and it will fire and run for about 10 seconds then dies. Or if you try to give it the slightest bit of gas it will die.

It seems to be getting good air and fuel for the few seconds it runs, and sounds great so I'm lost.

Any ideas on why it might not stay running?