How's YOUR Seaview coming along? - Page 12 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM

My Photos

Fiddling with thousands and thousands of little tiny bits. Filling and sanding and filling and...

Last edited by starseeker2; 04-23-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM

My Photos

That is amazing and I thank you for that picture....
WOW.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 AM

My Photos

Thanks. I've found that on a build this long, I really need this group - to see what everyone is doing, all the beautiful work that's going on, all the enthusiasm - to keep me insipired and going. In 2009's Great Scale Modeling, one of the features captions mention what parts of modeling the modelers enjoy and what they don't. The part I don't is the filling and sanding. But last night I got the three missile hatches finished. I originally had one hinged, but it looked so cool I thought three would look at least as. And the original was a tiny bit out of square when open, so I could fix that as well.
Time to fill and sand the surgery, I guess.
Best of luck on your rc. I've watched Mr. Merriman's video and seeing the Seaview surface and dive is amazing. It was a kidhood dream of mine to have one so I'm sure looking forward to seeing yours when it's done. Back in the 80s, I even collected any ship modeling magazine that had rc sub articles in it. What fun!

Last edited by starseeker2; 04-23-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 PM

My Photos

Here is a post I ran by Mr Merriman on some possible alternatives...read along and find out below what he said.

I have two subs coming. Looking at the Dave Merriman/Mike Caswell Snort D&E Sub-Driver conversion kit for one model positively.
http://www.caswellplating.com/models/seaview.html

I might do the second one with a Dave Welch kit if I can get one from BigDave.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~bwelch/inthe.htm

I like two ideas that were incorporated by Dave Welch. No cutting and pumpjet openings in the keel. I should be able to make the Merriman one with the seam method. I may go without front dive planes. I would rather not cut any part of the model if I can help it. While a RCABS worked well for Steve Neills and I do have a RCABS pump from Art Broder, I am thinking I might try a bladderbag and two way water pump if I can get a BigDave Pumpjet.

This is Steve Neills RCABS version of BigDaves.
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...t=7973&start=0

Pics from Steves build, No working front dive planes or sail planes.
#1 No cutting...only use existing seams with a clever magnetic missle hatch.

#2 550 PumpJet with vents in the keel

Steve Neills SeaView

I have been thinking of adding depth control from the nicelle rear fins like this.

Well it turns out that Mr Merrimans Seaview has no nose dive issues. So to make it work properly I will need to have the front manta fins functional and also most of my water intake above the Nicelles, not on the keel portion, as this contributes to nose pitch with backward motion. So I will make them as Mr Merriman suggests. However he did conceed that with internal fixed vanes in the nicelles that you can do without the cutting of the manta fins and front bow planes. I do plan on trying to not glue anything but the windows. The way Steve Neills approached his build was genius. I have ordered 100 1/4 x 1/16 neodymium discs.

I also got an email from Dave Welch and No pumpjets from the orignal setups pictured above will be sold. Dave Welch is working on a replacement powerplant. His WTC for the SeaView are coming this spring.

I am looking forward to my Caswell/Merriman Snort SeaView as my first project this year and sailing my Robbe SeaWolf Dynamic Diver with my SeaView Static Diver.

Here is an excellent thread by Stingfly
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...hlight=seaview

Last edited by junglelord; 02-11-2009 at 11:50 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM

My Photos

Starseeker, your work is just incredible. I am still geeking out over your door and missile hatches...what a joy to behold in the raw form. What amazing detail.
May I share this over at the Caswell and Subcomissions forums?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

What diameter brass rod should be used for the rudder connector?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

My Photos

Junglelord. Thanks! Feel free.
Unless something terrible happens, last night I glued the final little tiny piece of plastic to my Seaview. Now it's down to another coat of primer, and final sandings, and actual painting can begin. So these are my very last under construction photos.
I'm going to rename and update my build thread one of these days. In fact, I think I'll try to nuke that thread and start it fresh.
(PS) The prop tubes are stuffed with paper towel. The stbd sail door opens to get to the lever that raises the masts. And all the rough edges are, rough edges.

Last edited by starseeker2; 10-05-2009 at 12:21 PM..
  HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models