craftsman leaf blow won't start!!! - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair 2-Cycle
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 PM

My Photos

craftsman leaf blower - repair help needed

i have a craftsman leaf blower #358-797120, 25cc. purchased in 2003.

it has started on the first few pulls every time, until yesterday. took a good 5 minutes and it finally started. and today cannot get started at all.

took it apart to check the carborator, exhaust and engine - but thats as far i got. i have never done a repair or carb clean, etc...so just how do you take these things apart to check them and clean them??? all i managed to do was get gas everywhere and clean up some old build up,lol.

pls help a noob out with some small engine basics and repair how to, thanks

ps - to have this repaired by an expert is not worth it - i can buy a new one for just a little more!!! so was hoping to fix it myself to save some money and learn something new

Last edited by jbinx; 09-02-2008 at 11:37 PM..
Old 08-02-2008, 05:16 PM

My Photos

bump, pls help
Old 08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Did you remove the muffler and check the exhaust ports as well as the spark arrestor screen for blockage??

When cleaning a carburetor, I usually will install a kit, but you should first determine that the carburetor is the problem.

You should check and make sure you have spark at the plug when you pull the starter rope, you also need to have compression, and fuel.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 PM

My Photos

all was perfect until yesterday - it just stopped starting. there has been a little excess fuel leaking from somewhere. i need a new gas cap - gas is leaking from the vent(just a little though) - would this cause the blower to not start? i had a weedeater that the cap broke but it still started, just leaked...

i tried to check all the things you mentioned. but i don't really know what i am looking for in terms of blockage at exhaust ports as well as the spark arrestor screen - where are these at? like i said, i had it all apart and there wasn't much to look for.
-with the exhaust off - there is an oval hole about 1.5" high or so - looked clean. other than that, not sure what else to look for

-tried to check for a spark, but couldn't get the plug grounded properly. is there a trick to keep it grounded to the metal? what is the best way to do this?

-carborator cleaning kit - what do you get in this kit. the carb on this blower is very small. it has a primer on the top(the screen was clean) and a metal plate at the bottom held by 4 screws, then a rubberish diaphragm under that. but no other way of actually opening up the carb to inspect.
-the gas lines are still good - can't even pull them off to disconnect easily. so left them on for fear of actually ripping them.

sorry for the lengthy reply, but i just can't believe this little engine is so hard to fix, lol. it should be easy, right?

Last edited by jbinx; 08-02-2008 at 07:30 PM..
Old 08-02-2008, 08:21 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Somewhere in the muffler there is a screen, you should be able to see through it when removed.

Check all the covers and cylinder mounting screws to see that they are tight. Check the carburetor mounting and insulator for tightness as well.

When you pull the starter rope, does it feel like it has compression?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 PM

My Photos

Have you tried installing a new sparkplug?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

You need to replace the fuel lines, it's a Poulan, the lines are plastic, their shot. Have a good one. Geo
Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
You need to replace the fuel lines, it's a Poulan, the lines are plastic, their shot. Have a good one. Geo
how can you tell? they are still flexible and not leaking...

and yes, tried a new spark plug, no luck - however - how do you ground the plug to check for a spark?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
The Shadow

My Photos

Get a gap type spark checker.... available at most auto parts stores. But it's doubful it is lack of spark. As noted above, check cylinder and carb bolts. Also pull the muffler and look at the piston/cylinder for scoring or a stuck ring.

Hank

Last edited by hankster; 08-03-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM

My Photos

any pictures avail? i really do not know what i am looking for...
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Spark Tester

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25069-Adju...7784281&sr=1-6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark Tester.jpg (5.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by 30yearTech; 08-03-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM

My Photos

do you have any pics of scoring or what a stuck ring would look like?

also, what if i am not getting a spark?

i really want to figure this out - repair costs are about as much as just buying a new basic blower... $50+ just for labor, jeez. i had mine apart in 5 minutes. if i knew what to look for and fix, can't imagine much more time to get it working....
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Going to a good mechanic is like going to a good doctor, you don't pay for what for what they do, you pay for what they know how to do, should it need to be done. Have a good one. Geo
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 PM

My Photos

3 elements for a small engine to run...fuel, compression & spark. Do you have test equipment to test for spark and compression? If not

Spark: You can remove the plug from the engine and hook it back up to the coil wire put the end of the plug near some grounded metal and pull the starter rope and see if you get a spark. If you see a spark chances are your okay in the electrical dept. If your not getting a spark it's not a fuel problem

Compression: While the plug is out put your thumb over the spark plug hole and pull the starter rope does it kick your thumb back 2 cycle engines need close to 90 pounds of compression to start & run 120 is more in the normal range. So this thumb thing is pretty mickey mouse but if you ge a real good push back chances are your okay there too.

Fuel: Is your plug getting wet when you try to start it? Remove the spark plug and pour a little gas into the spark plug hole? replace the plug will it fire then? If so you have a fuel delivery problem.

This unit is made by Poulan/weedeater, it's been my experience that there are a lot of problems with the gas lines rotting apart. Verify that the fuel take-up/filter which should be dangling inside of the gas tank is still attached to the fuel hose Is the primer actually priming? those hoses can rot out too. As far as removing the carb to clean it... there are probably some screws underneatth the air cleaner cover (by the way is the air cleaner clean?) If you remove those screws the carb will come loose you can then disassemble it...Chances are it's Walbro carb here is a site you can access... http://wem.walbro.com/walbro/family.asp You can see exploded views of their carbs. One side of the carb is held on with 4 small screws on the corners, the other side, the throttle side;is held on with one big screw in the center, there is a diaphram under each cover. The fuel pump diaphram (the one under the throttle end) covers a couple of resivoirs where junk/sludge builds up and can prevent gas from getting through to the engine. If one of the hoses did rot out... debris from the rotted hose can make its way into the carb and blocks things up

But before I would suggest that you rip all this apart..be sure to check all of the simple things first.

Spit
Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM

My Photos

thanks spit

best reply yet - this is what i have been looking for in terms of trouble shooting for dummys, lol. will give it a try and post back(in case anyone cares, haha)