Honda GCV160 Repair Manual? - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair 4-Cycle
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 AM

My Photos

Honda GCV160 Repair Manual?

Hello, folks.

I'm the *very* lucky owner of not ONE but TWO *wonderful* Honda GCV 160 powered devices, and both of them are a dream come true.

sarcasm

Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for this engine?

The 160 on my lawnmower refuses to run correctly. It will run fine for a few minutes from cold, but it starts to cough, sputter, backfire then die. I can run it for 30 seconds before it dies again.

I've checked the carb and it's fine. Nothing plugged, fresh gas; no varnish.

My next guess is to check the timing, and I've got a good handle on how to approach that from reading posts on this forum.

Is there anything else I can check, such as ignition?

Thanks for all your help. I'm moving in two months and would rather try to get as much life out of this mower before I leave.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

First thing I would try is a new spark plug. If that makes no difference, I would still suspect a carburetor issue. You can find some service info at the Honda Europe site http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/welcome.html

Last edited by 30yearTech; 05-30-2008 at 09:16 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM

My Photos

I agree with 30YT that it's probably a fuel problem as opposed to ignition. The timing would not change on a running motor. It's typically either good or bad and the things that would cause it to change on a running motor are all pretty unlikely scenarios.

I have seen magnetos(ignition modules) be intermittent and the best way to check that is with a gap type tester that you leave in series with the plug and watch the spark with the engine running. When the engine begins to shut down, if the spark is going away, that's a good indicator it is the cause of the shutdown. If it isn't, I'd make the leap of faith that the ignition is probably OK and your problem is elsewhere(most likely fuel delivery).

In addition to inspecting and cleaning the carb, have you tried loosening the gas cap and running it. If the vent is plugged in the cap it will run for some period of time till the bowl is empty and then stop. Restarting can be difficult.

Finally, regarding the manual. You can get them from HelmInc.com. Honda distributes their manuals through them. Here is the link for your manual.... $28.95. (I haven't seen these on line anywhere for free)

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...RA7TCKGGT1A05E

Let us know how you make out...
Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 PM

My Photos

Thanks, guys!

I'll try the gas cap.

Then the plug.

Then I'll clean the carb again.

Hopefully it will be fixed at plan 1.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM

My Photos

You guys are the bees' knees!

It was the gas cap.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:04 PM

My Photos

kc217780

I'm a new member from Salina Kansas.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 PM

My Photos

Hi I'm a new member from Phoenix and I was hoping someone could tell me how to adjust the choke on my lawnmower. It's a Honda 5.5hp GCV 160.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM

My Photos

Hi all,
I'm a new member from Orange County, California, USA. I need some hints for the GCV160. Mine won't start - it stopped in mid-operation. Thought the kill switch went bad but it's OK. Changed spark plug, replaced gas. Still no start.
It might be bad gas - I have never stabilized the gas, but didn't worry about it since I use it every week normally, and there is no off-season in this part of the country. I guess I need to get into the carb, etc, but would like to look at a repair manual first so I don't mess something up. I like to repair things, but would like to know the tricks.
Appreciate any help.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

It was listed under another thread,but here it is again.

Here is a link to access the service manual and general Honda information.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/welcome.html
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM

My Photos

First thing to know is that I know almost nothing about small engines. I hit a baseball while cutting the grass. The engine stalled. I started it up again, but pulling the cord was hard. After starting, a puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust. I lifted the mower up and saw that the two blades were locked together. That wasn't how they were when I looked before. The two blades run separately, right? Do they turn in the same direction or counter each other? Have I destroyed the gears? Should I try in dislodge the two blades from each other?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJVA View Post
First thing to know is that I know almost nothing about small engines. I hit a baseball while cutting the grass. The engine stalled. I started it up again, but pulling the cord was hard. After starting, a puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust. I lifted the mower up and saw that the two blades were locked together. That wasn't how they were when I looked before. The two blades run separately, right? Do they turn in the same direction or counter each other? Have I destroyed the gears? Should I try in dislodge the two blades from each other?
Unless you can tell that one of the blades is bent, then they are mounted together and turn together in the same direction. They do not turn independently from each other, nor in opposite directions. This is a mulching setup that Honda uses. Hitting the baseball may have sheared the flywheel key that times the ignition spark, but it's unusual on a Honda as their key's are steel.

If your mower starts up and runs alright, then the oil may have come from when you tipped the mower over to look at the blades. If you tipped the mower over with the air filter facing down, you may have contaminated the air filter with oil. If there is oil in the air filter element, you will need to replace the air filter element as they cannot be cleaned.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM

My Photos

Thanks very much for the much needed advise.