Plastic model glue de-bonder? - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > The Modeling Forum
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM

My Photos

Plastic model glue de-bonder?

I would like to disassemble an old built up model kit, then clean assemble, and paint it myself. Is there such a thing as plastic model glue de-bonder? If so, where would I get some?

Thanks!!

Phred
Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

I don't think you'd find a debonder for styrene cement. The cement actually welds the plastic together causing the pieces to become one. I usually cut parts off if need be, then add pins as needed.

Chris.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 AM

My Photos

Depends on the original glue used, but I thought I remember reading that those that have tried chlorine bleach for removing paint have found it sometimes loosens tube glue joints.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

There are many things that will 'loosen' the joint.
But nothing that will actually remove the old glue are really make it easier to remove the old glue.
Styrene glue actually melts the plastic through a chemical process. So it is litteraly bonded into the plastic. You can scrape and carve it away, but there is nothing that will just let you peel it off, or disolve it.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
You can scrape and carve it away, but there is nothing that will just let you peel it off, or disolve it.
I have a debonder for Testor's Red glue. The former owner of the hobby shop got the instructions from an old magazine and made his own version of it. when i bought the shop from him, I "inherited" these bottles full of debonder. It's all "Secret Ingredients" so I don't know what's in it. However, it doesn't hurt the plastic and will break down the glue to the point where it will fall off with a toothbrush. I've used it before, and in some cases, you have to let it sit on the glue joint overnight and / or reapply it in the morning. Retails for $6.00. Contact me:

Trevor Ursulescu
Monster Hobbies

Last edited by MadCap Romanian; 05-30-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

Good plastic cements work by melting and fusing parts together. You can't really debond that. But You can still get kits apart pretty well. Someone had blobbed old tube glue all over my Aurora 2001 Moon Bus kit some 40 years ago, pulled the parts back apart and stuck it back in its box. The glue was so old and it hadn't effected the plastic and you could just flake it off. Freezing kits works to make the joints pop apart better. You could try soaking the kit in a plastic safe solvent like Super Clean. That will also remove old paint. And, depending on the kit, you may not need to take every single piece off. If its a figure and the parts are farily well secured, just leave it be, work over the seams, etc. and repaint. For something like an airplane maybe work on some of the smaller parts, so fixing up the big assembly is easier wihtout the risk of breaking small parts off.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

I've found that white spirit, which is used to thin paint and clean brushes, helps to separate glued parts. I had also tried freezing kits and other ideas, but the most effective has been to put white spirit in the seam, and then after a few minutes separate the parts with a hobby knife. If you can get inside the parts that are stuck together, like a head or leg, even better as then you can 'paint' white spirit into the seam from both sides. Some glues take longer than others, or need several attempts. But don't leave the parts in white spirit for too long!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Pacer makes a Glue debonder for all plastics.But dont recommend it cause of the fact that tried it once and ya it removed the glue alright.But also melted the styrene in the process.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman66 View Post
Pacer makes a Glue debonder for all plastics.But dont recommend it cause of the fact that tried it once and ya it removed the glue alright.But also melted the styrene in the process.
First thats for CA glue only, like Pacer's own Zap A Gap. And yes it will melt plastic and remove paint as well... so use with CAUTION. Basically CA debonder is Acetone, which will melt plastic.

White/Mineral Spirits will also melt plastic... not something I would recommend.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I recently found an old glow Dracula kit that I want to restore. Whoever put the kit together (not me, I hasten to add) glued the hands on the wrong arms. Does anyone have good suggestions for removing the hands without breaking the plastic? I've stuck the kit in the freezer, poured some water down the sleeves, and can hear the joints crack when I run hot water on it.
Is simply disassembling the arms the best way to go?
What is the best way to separate the arms at the seams?
I know some of you experts have done this hundreds of times, so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

I have one of those Debonder bottles left in stock at Monster Hobbies if you want to try it. Just Email me at ursulescu@excite.com