Old Kmart Lawn Edger Parts??? - Page 2 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair General Discussion
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM

My Photos

[B][U]Lightning Storm's Trim-All / K&S Edger:[/U][/B]

Lightning Storm's Trim-All / K&S Edger:

Last edited by Lightning Storm; 02-26-2009 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Add Picture
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM

My Photos

Lightning Storm's Edger Pulley

Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM

My Photos

Edger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Storm View Post
Hi,

I hope you all can help me.
I have inherited a 40+ year old edger (older than me !).
It still runs great !

It is a Trim All / K & S edger.
It is Model: KS 19 deluxe.
It has a Briggs & Stratton 2 hp, 4 cycle engine.
It is has a white engine and gold/bronze frame/body.
It was made by K & S Mfg. in Ft. Worth, Tx.
It was probably built in 1964 or 1965.
It was purchased in 1965 from Foley's, Joskey's or J.C. Penny... something like that, maybe Montgomery Wards.
In any case, they are long since gone.

The pulley is steel.
It measures 2 1/4 " OD
It has a set screw/ allen wrench screw embedded
The ID is enlarged a bunch since the pulley wobbles.
If you lay it on a table it is 1 1/2" wide/tall.
And the shaft is a 3/8" shaft, not threaded on this end.
The shaft has a dent or spot for the set screw to dig in but is smooth otherwise on this end. It is threaded for the blade to attach on the other end.
This pulley is V notched and sends the power from the engine shaft in the rear of the edger.
If your behind the edger, edging, the blade on the right hand side, if that matters any.

I wouldnt mind buying a kit with shaft pulley and all if necessary.
The shaft seems straight and doesnt wobble, I dont really know what else to look for in shaft/bearing damage.
The belt was pretty tight and hard to get off but it is fairly new from a recent tuneup last year.
The engine was dying under load and they replaced some ignition parts and did a tune up and it runs very powerfully now.

I will try to post pics of the pulley and edger.
So far, I haven't found and parts here in Houston.

Thanks.
You can remove the pully and drill the hole out a little larger to get it round again. Then insert a bushing that has the same inside diameter as the shaft and the same outside diameter as the hole you drilled through the pully. Drill a hole in the bushing so the set screw passes through to lock down on the shaft.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM

My Photos

Thanks everyone !!
Special thanks to 30YearTech !!

Its working great !!
125% power !!

I bought a replacement pulley at www.mfgsupply.com
Part Here : http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/13-750.html

I just need to get the rear axle threaded on the right side and bolt it down, instead of that little end cap they hammer on then Im done.

:-D
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 AM

My Photos

Trim All KS-19 edger parts & specs

I have a KS-19 that I've been using since the mid-60s.

As has been mentioned, there are a number of suppliers who can help provide the shafts, bearings, etc. I bought a set of bearings (part # KSKS-1188) and a shaft (# KSKS-5170) from Keepsharp Lawn & Garden Lawn Mower Parts in Orlando, FL. Ph: 407-298-6731, Tues, Wed & Thurs, 10-12:30 only (nice hours!). They can also supply the pulley (KSKS-5230).

Anybody know where I can find a manual? I need the tune up specs (specifically, the quantity of oil in the reservior and the gap setting).

Thanks, and good luck!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 AM

My Photos

Smile

A couple of comments for this thread-

K-Mard didnt make edgers. Most likely if you have a K-Mart edger, it was built by a company like K&S out of Ft. Worth, Texas. I believe they built Golden Boy edgers as well, and it could be that Golden Boy was a brand name for a retailer such as Montgomery Ward, or Western Auto, etc...

I own 4 K&S built units. One of them (a two wheeled model) was purchased at Whites Automotive in Dallas Texas (Casa View location) by my mother. I was along for the ride, and likely I was under 7 years old, as I had not started school yet. This would make it a 1965 or earlier model. I recall the salesman taking us behind the store where there was a curb in the alley, and showing mom how to use the curb hopper feature- something about these units I love even today. My first exposure to working on a gasoline engine as a boy was to pull the head off this 2hp Briggs just to see what makes it tick. Likely I changed the pull rope a few times as well.

I have since owned some Whipper Clippers and a McLane branded "John Deere". McLane is a California made machine since the 40's, and Whipper Clipper is likely even older, being a mower company first. Whipper Clipper is my ATF, except I prefer the curb hopper feature of the K&S. I added a curb hopper to a McLane once, and it was a nice compromise between the stability of a 4 wheeled edger and the ease of the curb hopper.

My Golden Boy is a parts machine- not worthy of rebuilding itself due to the negligence of its owner leaving it outside to suffer the elements- but hopefully it will assist others in their resurrection. The photo below is my Dad's K&S "Trim-All", which I brought back from the dead with a replacement gas tank, and a couple of wheels from my Golden Boy donor unit.

Yes, I have a sickness I am sure. It involves small engine powered equipment. Whats yours?

Last edited by Lonestar245; 08-31-2009 at 06:22 AM..
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 AM

My Photos

Gap setting

Which gap are you asking about? The point setting is 0.020" and the spark plug gap is 0.030". The oil level should be just below the fill port on the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
I have a KS-19 that I've been using since the mid-60s.

As has been mentioned, there are a number of suppliers who can help provide the shafts, bearings, etc. I bought a set of bearings (part # KSKS-1188) and a shaft (# KSKS-5170) from Keepsharp Lawn & Garden Lawn Mower Parts in Orlando, FL. Ph: 407-298-6731, Tues, Wed & Thurs, 10-12:30 only (nice hours!). They can also supply the pulley (KSKS-5230).

Anybody know where I can find a manual? I need the tune up specs (specifically, the quantity of oil in the reservior and the gap setting).

Thanks, and good luck!

Last edited by flpirate; 06-05-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo error.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM

My Photos

KS-19 Trim All edger engine specs

Thanks for the specs, flpirate -- happy to have both of the real numbers (vs. the ol' "tune & try" method). I know where the fill line is in the oil reservoir, but do you know the quantity (when I want to drain & refill) and viscosity? I think I'm using SAE 30 at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's spec or not.

I'm happy to report that the edger's running fine - just used it this AM, though I've got to keep the choke nearly fully opened to get it to keep running. I took off the curb wheels years ago (but still have them), repainted the gas tank, and replaced the pull start assembly and housing about 8 years ago. It's a great little machine, and the envy of the neighborhood. When I first moved here in the early '90s, nobody edged their sidewalks decently (sorry, but the string-trimmer approach just isn't sufficient). Now nearly everyone does, though none with the precision and ease of the Trim All!

Thanks again for the posting.

Chipper
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher, for ambient temperature of 40 degrees and above use SAE 30. 10W30 is an acceptable substitute. Capacity when empty is 20 oz.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM

My Photos

Nostalgic for old motors

I lucked upon this thread while doing a search for K & S Trim-all. I have learned from what I have read so far but still have a couple questions. I tried the parts finder at Briggs & Stratton and though I am an educated man...I still haven't figured it out. None the less. I have a very cool and fine example of a K & S model KS194. with a 2.5hp Briggs motor and I think the magneto is kaput. Anyway. I 'll try the local wise old soul about small engines for the part but I was hoping someone could tell me something about this model. It's white on red has all of its decals and oiling instructions etc. It's pretty cool. "Easy Spin Starting" too Thanks for any help.
D
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Model type and code number off your engine is needed for for engine parts. Your unit likely has points and condenser located under the flywheel. Very limited parts availability for the edger itself.

Your engine most likely would use a 793281 ignition module. This is a solid state unit that no longer uses the points and condenser. I believe you can still get an old style ignition coil through aftermarket suppliers.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM

My Photos

Thanks for the reply Tech. I'll find the engine number and see about finding the module you spoke of. Everything with the engine seems fine except no spark. I am grounding the plug on the head and pulling the starter. The plug is newish so I figure its the module.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM

My Photos

trim-all ks19

i'm looking for the bushing that goes behind the blade. it is a stepdown type washer that keeps the blade from rubbing the bearing and centers it on the shaft. i measure the shaft at 11/32 but a 5/16 nut seems to fit.i would appreciate any help.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM

My Photos

I have the K&S Model # KS 122-a Trim All edger; Need help finding parts for edger not engine as the B&S engine runs good.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM

My Photos

Do you have any tele. numbers as far as parts for the K&S Trim all? I am looking for the shaft and bushings for my model 122A trim all; Any help appreciated. (freestoneflash@yahoo.com)