Using Future Wax as clearcoat - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Slot Cars > Slot Car Modeling/Customizing
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Using Future Wax as clearcoat

OK, this sounds dumb, but believe it or not I have never used Future as a clearcoat. I have questions for anyone who has.

1. Is this good choice for clearcoat?

2. Can it be sprayed through the airbrush?

3. If so, what is the mixture ratio and can it be cleaned with water.

4. Back to #3, have any of you created problems with your airbrush? I definitely don't want to screw up my airbrush.

Any tips, info, experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

you're not alone.. I have never used it either.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

using future

1, find it. i had to look. finally found it at target.

2. find a clean sealable tub. i stole my wife's quart sized tupperware. fill 2/3 full or so with future.

3. wash and dry bodies well.

4. get a pair of tweezers or a wire hook.

5. dump as many bodies as will fit in the future.

6. wait about 30 seconds and use tweezers or wire hook to pull out first body. future is self leveling. you can shake or tap the body to remove the excess.

7. place on rack or dowels to dry. you can dry on newspaper, but sometime a bit of paper may stick to the bottom of the body as the future dries.

8. repeat if desired. i know mike u does 2-3 coats, i am lazy and do 1.

Last edited by mking; 01-25-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: not only am i lazy i cant spell
Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Slotcar Fanatic

My Photos

Nerver sprayed it because I had great results dipping. Didn't quite do it like mking with many bodies at once, just did one at a time. Would dip, tap/shake body to flick off excess then let set for a hour or so. Do it again If I wanted it glossier. rr
Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 PM

My Photos

The "locals" here recommended Future and i swear by it now. I dip my hard bodies and lexan bodies. The more dips the fatter the finish. It really deepens the colors, and gives a sweet finish coat. mj
Old 01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

no one has sprayed this? I heard you could. I also heard you could wash it with water. I do not know where I saw this.

OK, here is a question for the dippers of Future. Does the wax build up in the crevice's? What I mean, if you have a detailed model with tiny bumps, lumps, and indentations, does the dipped future fill in these areas, and are they hard to tap the excess off?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

build up

ive never noticed any fill in of low spots being a problem

but on of the selling points of future (at least to 1960 housewives) is that you can easily strip future using a common solvent: ammonia.

so dont use windex to clean your coated bodies
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

From Reinecke Motorsports
"quote"
Coating with Future Floor Wax

A few years ago, I was decaling a slot car and had a reaction between the paint on the body and the solvent I was using to set the decals with. A few mouse clicks on the World Wide Web taught me that many modellers used Future Floor Wax to coat their builds, often hiding issues with the paint, as well as protecting it. I tried it a few days later, and to my delight, found it did everything they said.

I've used it numerous times as my clear coat when painting slot cars. For this example, I'm going to use it over two cars that are already painted, but I've recently decaled.

Begin by disassembling the body. Using an Xacto knife or other instrument, carefully remove the melted tabs. Be sure to put all of the parts in something so you don't lose them. In my shop, I utilize old slot car case lids.

future1.jpg (55798 bytes) future2.jpg (67226 bytes)

If you've raced the car, buff out any areas on the body that may have scratches. I use Novus polish and a scrap of old T-shirt for this job.

future3.jpg (25769 bytes) future4.jpg (42154 bytes) future5.jpg (22931 bytes)

Next, clean off any fingerprints or residue as they will appear under the Future coat. I wash my bodies in a mild detergent such as Dawn dishwashing liquid. After drying, I wipe off any possible prints and then decal the car. After decaling is complete, I wipe the car down again once they are dry.

future6.jpg (42992 bytes)

In order to keep any dust off the body when the Future is applied, I use a stand (in this case an old digital camera dock) and a slot car case lid to cover it. I place a paper towel under the base to catch the Future as it drips off the car. I also use an old tire to keep the lid propped up slightly so it can breathe. The tray under it is an old lunch room tray one of my kid's schools were getting rid of. I actually have several of these and it helps when moving projects around.

future7.jpg (41064 bytes)

When "dipping" a body into the Future, I use a fork to hold it. I submerge the entire body into the Future, which I've poured into a sealable container. When raising the body back out, I let it drip for a minute and place it onto the stand.

future8.jpg (33218 bytes) future9.jpg (41487 bytes) future10.jpg (42970 bytes)

I then take a papertowel and blot the bottom of the body where drips are appearing. This ensures I don't have dried blobs of Future hanging onto the body later. I then cover the body with the case lid. I check every 5 minutes or so and re-blot the body.

future11.jpg (32055 bytes) future12.jpg (39837 bytes)

When brushing a body, such as this one that is assembled due to it's clam-shell style, I like to use a medium sized model brush. Simply paint the Future on. I even do the glass as I think it makes it look thinner when dry. Cover the car as before and a let it sit for a few hours.

future14.jpg (38428 bytes) future15.jpg (30769 bytes) future16.jpg (43462 bytes)

Results: Worth it! Future not only protects decals and paint, but it gives it a great shine!

"unquote"

Above described handling is for a 1/32 slot car, but that`s the same way for H0
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlap
OK, here is a question for the dippers of Future. Does the wax build up in the crevice's? What I mean, if you have a detailed model with tiny bumps, lumps, and indentations, does the dipped future fill in these areas, and are they hard to tap the excess off?
It can, but you "tip" the body in all directions so all the excess rolls off and then place it on a paper towel for a couple of minutes to wick off the excess. I've have a couple of bodies where the Future kind of sheeted and didn't want to cover wide flat angeled areas evenly. (AFX 240z) But thats about the only issue i've ever had. If you don't like it you can remove Future with Windex or ammonia. Heres a link that has been posted here before with info, more than you ever want to know about Future. mj
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Last edited by citylights17@ho; 01-25-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Part Time Painter/Racer

My Photos

How long to you need to let a car dry, after being painted, before dipping in Future???
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Part Time Painter/Racer

My Photos

Nevermind, I found it!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

I just did these two this week. I just dip them for about 5 seconds and let them dry for a min of 2 hours between dips. I usually do three dips. These were dipped three times.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:08 PM

My Photos

What happens if you dip a complete body (chrome and windows still attached)? Does this hurt the chrome or cloud the glass? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM

My Photos

I have been dipping for quite a while. I usually dip once after the base colors are on to seal them before detailing. Once I have all the details painted and glass in, I'll dip it once more before any decals. Then a final dip after the decals are set.

As for chrome and glass, I've seen no ill effects on them.

I did recently try future through the airbrush. Straight from the bottle worked just fine. It does cleanup with water if you do it imediately. It is acryllic based, as are most paints sold specificly for airbrushes, and there are cleaners just for that. I've seen no ill effects in the airbrush after a water cleaning. The finish though was no different than dipping, so I'm not likely to do it again.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Part Time Painter/Racer

My Photos

Another question a friend asked me, so I said I'll ask the experts!!! If you have a silver or gold car, put a red tint in the clear, will it give a candy finish???