2 Foot Jupiter 2 from Sci Fi Metropolis - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Science Fiction Modeling
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 PM

My Photos

Cool 2 Foot Jupiter 2 from Sci Fi Metropolis

Hi all , I am a new member to this list and really enjoying the many posts. I was wondering if any of you members that purchased the 2 foot Jupiter 2 from Sci Fi Metropolis ever received your kits or the parts that were missing from the kits? Also, I just got a Sci Fi Metropolis Jupiter 2 from E Bay and really like the kit and it looks like nothing is missing. It looks easy to build but i was wondering if any of you had problems building it? Thanks guys! Rick Norcutt
Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

WELCOME to the HobbyTalk semusclebear, There are a few members here that have built their SFM Jupiter 2's. On your kit, was the box sealed or opened ? There are a few parts that SFM did not include such as the landing gear struts and a couple of other things, and they explain all that in the kits instructions. Do you have the instructions OR do you still need them ? If so, i can help you there. Take a good look at your kit and lay out all of the parts and material to see if anything is missing. Let me know what you've got ( pictures if you can) I am in the process of ordering one but before i do, i want to see how the new kits look since SFM retooled the material from thermo formed plastic to RESIN.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:05 PM

My Photos

Talking

Hi Model Maker, Thanks so much for your reply. My kit for the SFM Jupiter 2 arrived sealed and from what I can tell, everything the kit should have had was there. The upper and lower hulls, made from ABS plastic really look great with the proper shape and profile. I have a 4 foot Jupiter 2 that was molded from one of the original filming miniatures and comparing the two, I would say that it is dead on! I did know that I would need other material and parts, such as the brass tubing for the landing legs and sheet plastic for the viewports, both upper and lower. I have just about everything to start building this awesome miniature. My goal is to build this baby up as close to the original articulated filming miniature as I can. Right now I am not sure what I am going to do about the fusion core lights and the bubble dome. As you may know, the original studio miniatures had a light system that spun around in the fusion core and it looks like the dome lighting was produced by a spinning mirror assembly. If you are not sure about ordering the SFM Jupiter 2 kit, I would say go ahead. Even though the price is a bit high, all in all the hulls look great as do the laser cut parts. Should you receive the resin fusion core warped, do not worry. It can be re shaped by running it under very warm water and carefully rebending it back in shape. Thanks for your help Model Maker and good luck on your Jupiter 2. Should I ever run into any problems, I will be sure to let you know. Rick Norcutt
Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

My Photos

Are they still in business? Last "update" was in Sept 2006.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM

My Photos

Yes, just receive mine 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semusclebear
Hi Model Maker, Thanks so much for your reply. My kit for the SFM Jupiter 2 arrived sealed and from what I can tell, everything the kit should have had was there. The upper and lower hulls, made from ABS plastic really look great with the proper shape and profile. I have a 4 foot Jupiter 2 that was molded from one of the original filming miniatures and comparing the two, I would say that it is dead on! I did know that I would need other material and parts, such as the brass tubing for the landing legs and sheet plastic for the viewports, both upper and lower. I have just about everything to start building this awesome miniature. My goal is to build this baby up as close to the original articulated filming miniature as I can. Right now I am not sure what I am going to do about the fusion core lights and the bubble dome. As you may know, the original studio miniatures had a light system that spun around in the fusion core and it looks like the dome lighting was produced by a spinning mirror assembly. If you are not sure about ordering the SFM Jupiter 2 kit, I would say go ahead. Even though the price is a bit high, all in all the hulls look great as do the laser cut parts. Should you receive the resin fusion core warped, do not worry. It can be re shaped by running it under very warm water and carefully rebending it back in shape. Thanks for your help Model Maker and good luck on your Jupiter 2. Should I ever run into any problems, I will be sure to let you know. Rick Norcutt
Thanks Semusclebear, the new retooled 24 inch jupiter 2's from SFM are being made out of resin and they are releasing a 4 foot version around christmas time. The 4 footer will include all of the lighting. You can buy after market fusion core lighting for the 24 inch jupiter 2. keep us posted on your build ! the Jupiter 2 is my favorite modeling subject.
Bert
Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

here is a source for your fusion core lights also from SFM.
Bert
http://www.robotfactory.net/light_kits.html
Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 PM

My Photos

Hey Bert and all, I will let everyone know when my Jupiter 2 has been finished. I will also post pictures. Because I do not have a great deal of time, it may take a while. So far I have cut out the circles for the bubble and one scanner hatch. One scanner hatch will be operational as was the original filming miniature. I have also gathered what I need to make the track so that the cover will be able to slide open and closed. I also have most of what I need to build up the landing gear struts. The landing legs will be operational by the use of piano wires, as was the original studio miniatures. Rick N.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 PM

My Photos

J2

How do you order this?... Have there been any problems with delivery, etc.?

KK
Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM

My Photos

hi guys how much do these models cost the 2 foot one would be just right for me .

cheers barry.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM

My Photos

Hi Everyone, I did not order my 2 foot Jupiter 2 kit directly from Sci Fi Metropolis. I got mine off of ebay. It arrived at my door in 3 days! From what I hear, you can still get them from the Sci Fi Metropolis website. They are a bit expensive but the hulls are very accurate and most of the parts are laser cut. The kit even has all the fins for the fusion core, however, you will need to take a trip to a model and hobby shop for brass tubing for the landing leg struts, clear sheet plastic for your viewport as well as other items. Rick Norcutt
Old 10-05-2007, 09:06 PM

My Photos

I received 4 clear plastic viewport windows with my kit. The tubing for the landing leg struts was not included. The fusion core fins were pre-finished in silver. I paid $345 including shipping for the model. The fusion core uses individual panes shaped to fit either the ports beneath or around the core. Overall I am pleased with SCM's 24" J-2. BTW, I received the model in 3 weeks.

Bill
Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

O.K. you should now the rules by now......we need PICTURES!!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 PM

My Photos

Talking 2 foot Jupiter 2 update

Hi everyone ! This is just a little update on my SFM Jupiter 2. As of today, I have cut out all the scanner hatch portals, the round portal by the main hatch, the main viewport and the hole for the bubble. As for the other round portal at the back of the ship, I will be filling that in with modelers putty as it did not exist on any of the 4 foot studio miniatures. The next step will be to form the tracks that the scanner hatches will will need to slide open and closed. I have also picked up the silver paint for the hull of the ship. It is Krylon Bright Silver...exact to the original studio miniature. Rick Norcutt :
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM

My Photos

Question jupiter 2

I have recently purchased the Lost in Space Jupiter 2 model kit. It has all of the contents to build the kit except for the instructions. Would it be possible to get a copy of the instructions from anyone. The following is a description of the kit:
The Jupiter 2 all plastic assembly kit
Polar lights / Playing mantis
Model number 5033

I would appriciate any help anyone can give me.
You can send the instructions to wolfie819@msn.com
  HobbyTalk > Models > Science Fiction Modeling