John Deere E35 Gas Edger - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Small Engine Repair > Small Engine Repair 4-Cycle
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 PM

My Photos

John Deere E35 Gas Edger

Hello Forum

I just purchased a JOHN DEERE E35 GAS EDGER. It's going to be a project. I'm looking for a it's manual. I already googled JOHN DEERE E35 GAS EDGER, and checked out John Deere's web site with no luck. If you have any ideas I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Drake
Old 11-19-2006, 10:20 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

This unit looks like it may have been manufactured for John Deere by McLane Corporation.

You can look up parts breakdown at the John Deere website

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
Old 11-19-2006, 11:54 PM

My Photos

the e-35 is one of the best edgers made but deere no longer makes it though but
parts will still be around along time so the project should be a winner as for a manual
deere has got pretty stubborn about paper manuals last one i wanted for a tractor was quoted at 75 bones i would look at ebay or find a dealer that would maybe
copy one for you good luck
Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtenorio View Post
Hello Forum

I just purchased a JOHN DEERE E35 GAS EDGER. It's going to be a project. I'm looking for a it's manual. I already googled JOHN DEERE E35 GAS EDGER, and checked out John Deere's web site with no luck. If you have any ideas I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Drake
Hello I'm Norm and I just joined this group. I have a E35 and the edger starts up ok,runs approx 5 minutes and then shuts down. I cleaned the carb. and now have started looking at the spark coil. Not sure if its good as the HV spark cable reads 8.5 k ohms to the metal frame that bolts the coil on the side of the engine. Any idea if that reading is about right? Where should I look how do I fix this .Have you ever heard of this problem. Please advise Thanks Norm
Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Some info off the engine would be helpful to give advice. If you can locate the Brand, Model and Spec numbers off the engine and post back, I am sure someone will have some ideas for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM

My Photos

Norm, you should invest in a 'gap type' spark tester. They're inexpensive and available online or at your local auto parts store. This is the easiest way to determine if you have a coil problem(or other electrical problem like kill switch issues). The engine manufacturers typically don't provide specs on things like coil resistance, etc. Nowadays, with components molded into the ignition 'module', you can't necessarily get pure DC resistance measurements, like you can when you are dealing with a just a magneto coil only.

Using the tester, you can see immediately see if you have spark or not. This is one of the fastest ways to determine if your problem is electrical(ignition) or fuel related.

As 30YT mentioned, when you have a chance you should post the engine info and we can provide more targeted feedback. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Some info off the engine would be helpful to give advice. If you can locate the Brand, Model and Spec numbers off the engine and post back, I am sure someone will have some ideas for you.
Here are all the numbers listed on the engine. CODE 30D-AS-19. Engine No 056401 T.
That's it. Much appreciated. PS Replaced the gaskets, cleaned carb and fuel tank. Runs much better at start up. At first I thought that the problem was solved,throttled up and down perfectly but died after approx 2 mins. Gas seemed to be coming out under the fuel tank cover. Tried running with tank cover off,tank open but it did the same thing. Thanks again Norm
Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 PM

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgpile View Post
Norm, you should invest in a 'gap type' spark tester. They're inexpensive and available online or at your local auto parts store. This is the easiest way to determine if you have a coil problem(or other electrical problem like kill switch issues). The engine manufacturers typically don't provide specs on things like coil resistance, etc. Nowadays, with components molded into the ignition 'module', you can't necessarily get pure DC resistance measurements, like you can when you are dealing with a just a magneto coil only.

Using the tester, you can see immediately see if you have spark or not. This is one of the fastest ways to determine if your problem is electrical(ignition) or fuel related.

As 30YT mentioned, when you have a chance you should post the engine info and we can provide more targeted feedback. Good luck!
Will definitely pick one up tomorrow for sure. Thanks Norm
Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM

My Photos

Here are all the numbers listed on the engine. CODE 30D-AS-19. Engine No 056401 T.
That's it. Much appreciated. PS Replaced the gaskets, cleaned carb and fuel tank. Runs much better at start up. At first I thought that the problem was solved,throttled up and down perfectly but died after approx 2 mins. Gas seemed to be coming out under the fuel tank cover. Tried running with tank cover off,tank open but it did the same thing. Thanks again Norm
Edit/Delete Message
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwst View Post
Gas seemed to be coming out under the fuel tank cover. Tried running with tank cover off,tank open but it did the same thing. Thanks again Norm
What are you calling the fuel tank cover? The cap where you fill the tank up?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:12 PM

My Photos

Yes I;m referring to the cap that has to be removed in order to fill the gas tank.Thanks Norm
Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 PM

My Photos

Purchased spark tester and problem seems to be fuel related. Spark normal and does not drop off or go away. Dismantled carb once more and cant find anything that's clogged Any idea how to find a replacement carb? Much appreciated. Norm
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM
HobbyTalk Supporter

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwst View Post
Purchased spark tester and problem seems to be fuel related. Spark normal and does not drop off or go away. Dismantled carb once more and cant find anything that's clogged Any idea how to find a replacement carb? Much appreciated. Norm
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sea...12&sa.y=11#204
Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 PM

My Photos

Sorry but I made an error in the engine information supplied earlier. The correct info is Code FA130D-AS-19 and the other number is 056401 T Thanks Norm
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 PM

My Photos

JD E35 Edger - The greatest

Corner lot in the city with about 650 feet of edging to do every week. Stick type edgers are hard on my back - pushing 70 yrs.

Looked at dozens of new and used edgers. Finally found this very used JD E35. It barely ran and stalled with the belt tension. I was so impressed with the rugged construction so I bought it anyway. $125 for a machine that cost 700 new. Why not.
With the help of a neighbor, a can of carb cleaner and a screw driver it now purrs like a kitten.

What a machine! Edging is now a pleasure. As a bonus I discovered it will drop down the right rear wheel and do curbs perfectly.

They don't make them anymore because the factory burned. What a shame.

Walt