Hobbyist Forums banner

More Wheel Swappage

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  carhauler 
#1 ·
More steelies, of course!
I would like to get some other M2 wheels for when I get the Cougars though.

Mixed up some paint for the wheels and did the interior too.
The color is off a little, but you don't notice it other than in pix.

Here's the tip of the screw driver I made for removing wheels.
Even works good on those stubborn Greenlights!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!
Alls I did was slice the groove with my cut-off wheel on my grinder at my shop.
A cut-off wheel on a Dremel will work probably easier,
and like I said before, a hack saw should work just fine.
Just use mine as a visual "template" of sorts.

#14 ·
Right. I agree fully.
If you'll notice on the cars above, I at least made an attempt to chop the dust covers off the rears with a razor knife.
It's less apparent on the burgundy Chevy though.
Sometimes I'll take a tiny drill bit and finish the job.

I feel mighty lucky that M2 even bothered to make steelies!
Hopefully in time, Auto World will make their own - (hint-hint) :thumbsup:

#15 ·
I gotta agree with Lummox. M2's steelies are the best we have to work with at present. They're also the easiest to work with. JL did make different fronts and rears at one time. The added cost of two molds and proper sorting and assembly might be too much today. Hint,,,,hint,,hint,, AW,,,any steelies coming? Meanwhile, while we're waiting for more AWs, here's two wheel swaps I did long ago.

#17 ·
M2's steelies are pretty good depth wise. GL and JL also make acceptable open wheels. Different vehicles used different offsets and hot rodders reversed their wheels making them deeper. Modern (mostly FWD) cars have a completely different offset and look. 1960's wheels were usually 14"X5 or 6" and looked like M2s. Dragsters often went with 8" rims which looked deeper.

#18 ·
Yeah, the M2s and JLs are pretty much right on the money.

Some got deeper in the '60s on up, and it would actually sometimes depend on the depth of the wheels covers.

The ones on my '71 Imperial are almost as deep as they got in the stock rim department.

Could this be the next car in the Land Yachts Series??? ;)

#25 ·
The numbers on the bumper of the Dodge are just an attempt to add some license plates. As for the Buick rear bumper; I may try to reposition it. If you (Lummox) want a wheel-less GTO to detampo, let me know. Auto World Quality Alert: Every 67 Buick I've seen so far has file marks on the left quarter right below the C-pillar.

#26 ·
Yeah, the C pillars on both of the '66 Impalas are a bit rough too.
Probably a tough thing to correctly rectify in a high production situation - at least on the Chev.

Thanks very much for the offer on the GTO CH, but I'm not really a big muscle car collector.

#28 ·
I'm going to use an M2 wheels on one of the Monacos I'll let you know if I don't save the other one. I've also ruined some GL wheels; pulled the guts out of them. I use various tools but might engineer a slotted screw driver like Lummox uses. By the way, I am going to save a GTO by using the Monaco dog dishes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.