Hobbyist Forums banner

Using Future Wax as clearcoat

10K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  roadrner 
#1 ·
OK, this sounds dumb, but believe it or not I have never used Future as a clearcoat. I have questions for anyone who has.

1. Is this good choice for clearcoat?

2. Can it be sprayed through the airbrush?

3. If so, what is the mixture ratio and can it be cleaned with water.

4. Back to #3, have any of you created problems with your airbrush? I definitely don't want to screw up my airbrush.

Any tips, info, experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

#27 ·
Gary,

I have sprayed it but with a el cheapo sparay gun. In the winter I would have to heat it in the microwave for a few seconds to thin it. However most of the time I either dip it or brush it on with a foam brush. It is self leveling. I have dipped it a couple of different ways. One way is to leave it on the paint stand then use a paper towel to wick off the excess on the bottom edges. The secon way is I just drop the body in a plastic bowl of future and use two wodden dowels in the wheel well area or one through the glass to pick it up then set it on a paper plate. I shake the body side to side on the plate to remove the excess future.

I have sprayed it ofer glass and chrome with no problem. I sometimes put a coat on before the decals and normally put a couple coats on before I do my detail work as any mistakes are esaily wipped off with mineral spirts and a micro Q Tip. Besides I want my flat balck to look flat :). Another thing I have done is mix black resin pigment with the future and use it to coat my cast in glass.

Roger Corrie

#28 ·
Hilltop Raceway said:
I posted this pic in the frustration thread, but I wanted to say thanks for the Future technique. I did a double dip on the 57, came out smooth and glossy. I can't say thanks enough for all the ideas and tips on Hobby Talk. It's a great place to be!!! Randy

I'll email you my address................Sweet! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: rr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.