Hobbyist Forums banner

My new storage cases, what do you think?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  cih1979 
#1 ·
Been wanting these cases for awhile and ordered 3 to try them out, Well I like them and plan to order more. I find This will help me get a better handle on my collection when it comes to organizing & cataloging. It will give me a quick birds-eye view of what I have and access it quickly. I will be using these specifically for all my vintage diecast such as: Redlines, Hotones, Blackwalls, Real Riders, etc. The Redlines & Blackwalls will be the only ones I will separate by years. These cases are made by a company named "Plano", Each one holds 24 cars. Please enjoy... :)

See less See more
#12 ·
Thanks guys for all the props! Here is a few tips I do when preparing these for cars, I do go an extra mile by washing each one using dish soap, Rag and warm water. It seems the cases have a slight oily residue on the inside when you rub your finger on it and also it helps to remove any plastic static that may be present. This step is not necessary and I only do this because I line each slot with fresh tissue paper, Which helps the cars from bouncing around on just the plastic alone. When stacking I cut a piece of bubble wrap and place it in between each one to mainly keep the lid surface from getting scratched, Hope these tips help and Thanks again guys... :)

#13 ·
I also use some high quality spray wax on my cars. I figure if it helps preserve the paint on a 1:1, it should help protect the paint from corrosion, etc, while in storage. I also think it should help protect the cars from the oily residue from our hands when we handle them. But I don't know any of this for sure, just figure it can't hurt.

#14 ·
Plano Molding Co. is the same manufacturer of our beloved Jammers cases. The Jammers are 48-car (2 sided) cases with a built in handle and 2 doors. They used to be sold in the diecast aisle at WalMart but apparently some kid got cut on one that had shattered (probably after being dropped or thrown on the floor). In the past, I bought a couple of cases directly from Plano (6 to a case). Recently, you were able to buy them on WalMart's website and pick them up at your local store (free shipping). Now, they are sold at fabric and craft stores under the guise of "thread organizer". Plano has a new division called Creative Options. Here is a link to this model: http://creativeoptionscrafts.com/product.asp?product=6
Even though it says "46 fixed compartments", there is a double compartment on each side allowing for storing 48 cars. The downside is that the price has jumped dramatically. They used to be $4 to $6 at WalMart. The last time I bought some was at JoAnn Fabrics --- on sale for $8.99, marked down from $14.99!!! :eek:
So, Pony, how much are these 24-car cases?

#15 ·
Hey DadsCoronet, I have a couple of Jammers I bought at Wallmart several years ago and should have bought more at that time because they were selling for a "Whopping" $2.29 each, but havent seen them since. These 3 here I paid $27.50 shipped to my front door, They gave me 3 options of shipping and of course I chose the cheaper one. I plan to order a case of them which should be a bit cheaper per item, $7.50 each is about what I paid.
Jammers are great for storing all your new stuff but can be rough on your more valuable vintage cars bouncing all over the place landing upside down. Then I store these inside copy paper boxes for more protection from the elements of the outside world... :)

#16 ·
I also have used Plano fishing lures boxes for several years.I also line boxes with tissue. I find they offer great protection,are well organized and easy accessable. They dont display well but I dont care for small scale cars displayed as well as larger scale toys anyway.My room is full of my vintage Tonka collection mostly 1/16 scale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.