Hobbyist Forums banner

Question about a vintage GM washer fluid bottle

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  CorvairJim 
#1 ·
I saw a show where they were restoring a 65 or so El Camino and they showed the washer fluid resovoir, and I was surprised when it was an actualy bottle like this

Is this actually part of the washer fluild mechanism/ system ? or just under the hood storage for fluid ? the way he mounted it in the car it look like it just snapped to the side and sat there. Pretty neat though.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had 2 or 3 '50s-'60s cars with those, but it's been a while.
If I remember right, those are just to store fluid as there's no way to have an inlet and an outlet for fluid to pass through the glass bottle.

They would snap into or slide down into a wire metal cage thingy.

Many of those were a dealer option but still made or at least supplied by the factory.

#6 ·
I saw a show where they were restoring a 65 or so El Camino and they showed the washer fluid resovoir, and I was surprised when it was an actualy bottle like this

Is this actually part of the washer fluild mechanism/ system ? or just under the hood storage for fluid ? the way he mounted it in the car it look like it just snapped to the side and sat there. Pretty neat though.

I saw that episode on TV yesterday. Man, that El Camino was in bad shape, but they made it a nice ride. Junk and cat pee were in the bed of the El Camino.

#7 ·
Ah yes, the good ol' "Optikleen" bottle. When you're restoring (or showing) a car with it, you had to make sure that it has the correct label for the year of the car! The one you show appears to me to be from the late 60's, late for an Optikleen bottle. I don't think they lasted into the 1970's. I've had several Corvairs with them, virtually every one that had windshield washers. Yes, windshield washers were optional up into the late 60's on some cars, particularly lower-line models like the Corvair 500, Biscayne, Chevy II 100, Chevelle 300, etc. (I don't know so much about other brands.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.