Hobbyist Forums banner

Robinson model figures

12K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  moebiusman 
#1 ·
Gosh, I wish someone could make model figures of the Robinsons scaled for the Polar Lights Jupiter 2!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I agree with RSN that this is not the place to discuss anything other than Moebius kits. However, I will answer this one question on the PL J2, and then suggest that we move on.

The design goal of the PL J2 was different than the Moebius in that there was an attempt to reconcile the upper deck to the hero miniature contours by expanding the working radius. As such, certain liberties had to be taken with respect to spreading out the various components to the extent that it was not a match for the actual studio set. The concept is neither better nor worse than the Moebius approach, but simply different. The tooling and execution are obviously superior on the Moebius model.

As a result, the PL J2 scale is also quite different, despite the reference to 1/48 in the manual (which I never agreed with). Now, if you reference the scale of projected figures to the heights of the hatches and freezing tubes, which is something that I always advocated, some choices do become available.

My suggestion is to hunt down a kit of the old "Invaders" spaceship model, as it contains a number of figures that, when painted properly, become very believable selected members of the Robinson family. I actually used two of these for my scratch build, and I believe Cult still has the images on line. The one holding the microphone (on my model) looks remarkably like John Robinson.

I hope this helps.
Ron G.

#11 · (Edited)
Robinson model figures 1:26 scale, 'one-of-a-kind set' (private collector)

Rights holder(s)! That's why I went a different route (as a private collector) and had my 1/26 scale Robinson famliy sets constructed (circa '2007) privately as a 'one-of-a- kind' project. Even at 1:26 scale there is a very strong facial and body recognition to the actors especially the three adult figures of, Guy Williams as Prof. John Robinson, June Lockhart as Dr. Maureen Robinson and Mark Goddard as Major Donald West. The scale figures complement my commissioned 1/26 scale, 24 inch diameter J2 ... Oops! Please note these figures are not being reproduced at any scale and therefore zero profit! "Please, no inquires regarding of casting copies!" I'm just sharing on what can be done by going the extra ($k) mile in ones 'unique-private collection'! :thumbsup:
i.e. Prof. John Robinson, 1:26 scale (just under 3" inches tall), in "Cryo-sleep" mode, set #1 of 2)

Attachments

#32 ·
Rights holder(s)! That's why I went a different route (as a private collector) and had my 1/26 scale Robinson famliy sets constructed (circa '2007) privately as a 'one-of-a- kind' project. The scale figures complement my commissioned 1/26 scale, 24 inch diameter J2 ... Oops! Please note these figures are not being reproduced at any scale and therefore zero profit! "Please, no inquires regarding of casting copies!" I'm just sharing on what can be done by going the extra () mile in ones 'unique-private collection'! :thumbsup:
i.e. Prof. John Robinson, 1:26 scale (just under 3" inches tall), in "Cryo-sleep" mode, set #1 of 2)
my god those are really nice!!!! Those would make for nice
design for a kit concept.

Fortress

#13 ·
When the PL J2 was the only ship out there, there was an aftermarket figure of the Robinson made for the scale. I still have them as well as the other aftermarket parts for that ship like accurate seats for the front of the ship, lighting, even a large display base with sound.

Michael

#18 ·
It is high time that someone produced a PL J2 figures set for the here and now, in an older post that
I had read some time ago the original creator of the best figure set to date stated that he would
not produce another set but there was something about working with someone else to produce one
I think. If anyone has any updates please post.

fortress

#20 ·
Hey Moonman,

Gosh, I was so excited to get my Switch-n-Go Jupiter 2 that Christmas. I think I was like Ralphie and making sure my mom knew what to get me. At least I wasn't in danger of shooting out by eye. I was only worried that I'd drop the J2 as it was flying threw space or have too much of a rough landing.

I was so sad about a year or so later when I lost the John Robinson figure. The ship went into mothballs until my mom convinced me to give it away to the son of a friend of hers. A year after that we were in their home and I saw the ruins of the ship in his room. I remember being so upset. Man, those were the days.

Yes, someone within the past year or two repoped them. I thought I had seen them either on BucWheat's page or at CultTV. I was just at their sites and don't see them. As I typed this, I thought that it might have been Al at Python Kits who did them. He's been seriously ill the past year and his website is down right now.

I was tempted to get them but if I remember, John's jet pack wasn't repopped. Can't have Dr. R without his jet pack.

Michael

#24 · (Edited)
Thank you Tom and Happy Holidays to you and your family good sir...

1/26 scale custom made, one-of-a-kind, Robinson family and Major West 'Cryo-sleep' set(1 of 2) and 'Up-and-about' set(2 of 2) as mentioned on post #11
Strong facial and body recognition to the actors especially the three adult figures of, Guy Williams as Prof. John Robinson, June Lockhart as Dr. Maureen Robinson and Mark Goddard as Major Donald West.
-

#26 ·
The original Lunar Models 1/35 Figures worked well with several of my builds...

So I am not too sure where the idea "they were way too small",Came from. With some skill, they could be painted to actually look like the cast.
I had a set of Lunar figures and compared to 1/35 or 1/32 scale they were more like 1/40. The instructions said they purposely made them smaller to fit inside their Jupiter 2 kit. I still have the Robot and he is much smaller than the Johnny Lightning version.

#29 ·
Those are the Paragrafix set. They are pretty nice. I have a set. They need
Cleanup and sanding, but are well done and look good when finished. No robot though, but Moebius is set to release their 1/35 Chariot-pod kit soon with its own Robot figure in same scale. Worth getting!

#34 ·
These are VERY nice indeed!!
I would love to have a set this nice for the Moebius J2 !!!!:hat:
I thought someone was going to do a spacesuit set of 1/35 scale figures for the J2??:freak:
What ever happened with that? I quess we will have to wait for the 1/35 chariot/spacepod kit to get a good 1/35 robot?!?!!:(
Ron

#36 · (Edited)
Mr. Gross, respectfully,I am sorry to disagree with you. One can leap frog from one design to another to get some excellent ideas on how to proceed with a project. For instance, I have a Lunar J2 that I have and have incorporated some ideas I had on the build into a clients Moebius J2.
So when one refers to the Polar J2, you can see how it generated some interest in an approach that you may have instigated to make for a better approach to utilizing figures from other sources for the Moebius 18 inch incarnation.

#37 · (Edited)
'Lost In Space' in 1:26 scale. Custom built (circa '2007/ '2008), 'one-of-a-kind' sets (Set-A; "Cryo-sleep" and Set-B; "Up and about").

*** To paraphrase, Dr. Smith: "There's no need for any of you to worry about your physical condition. You are all in top shape and ready to go. I envy you for your adventure." ***

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.