Low Budget Race Team - Page 32 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Slot Cars > Slot Car Modeling/Customizing
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Model Murdering

My Photos

Chop chop whizzzzz whizzzzzz.... oh what a relief it is!

Hahahahaha...yer a very naughty boy Ralph
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Cool "Boneshaker" Team Hot Wheels TCR

Well..... I bit the bullet today. As I visited my local K-Mart, they reduced the separate Car w/controller to $13 - so I said what the hell
Btw- this K-Mart still had the sets too, but they weren't reduced, and oddly- they were $10 Higher than the other K-Mart I visited last week ! Also of note, we have a chain Discount store here in Pennsy, called "Ollies" (Good Stuff Cheap), and they also have the set for just $24.99 !

Anyway, the "Boneshaker" arrives at LOG Speedway and Dragstrip....

Team Hot Wheels TCR- "Boneshaker". Rechargeable electric motor driven, w/infra-red controller/charger.

It didn't take me long and I added a guide pin, I turned down the one flange of an old (I think Tomy) pin and jammed it into the hole that's recessed for the chassis mounting screw.

Okay now, want the scoop and nothing but the poop !?
It DOES work on my HO Tracks, sorta.... the controller is really like and on off switch, but the car does have some coast to it, but it is VERY Torquey, thanks to a gear reduction set up I believe(tho I haven't disassembled it yet). It didn't really like my 12" radius curves too well , but I believe it would do much better with 15" or 18" turns. LOL- it would also do better with a traction magnet, although I think some of my deslotting problems arose from my guide pin being a tad too short.
But the good news is, it runs GREAT on my Drag Strip ! And it has an added bonus, it'll even(sometimes) drive back to you ! How is that -you ask ? Well, these little buggers also have reverse on the controller trigger (push trigger forward). So in my shutdown area after I stopped, I simply touched reverse for a split second and whipped a 180 ! And zoomed her right back to the starting line- and that was kinda cool
Now what about Speed ?! Well........ if you like the top speed of an average, normal running /stock 50 year old T-Jet, then you won't be disappointed. If you want more speed, there is a Turbo button, but it really didn't seem to do much, maybe it suffered from wheel spin tho ?
So that's my Story and I'm sticking to it. I got my Boneshaker, and it looks cool...I've even already started customizing , as you'll note I drilled out the header (Zoomey) pipes !
If and/or when the motor fries, and/or the rechargeable Lithium Polymer(LiPo)battery in the car dies, I'll still be happy to convert this body to be used on a Slot Chassis (probably T-Jet with a Divorced front axle). Hey, it was Only $13 and I think that K-Mart is gonna reduce these puppies even lower, as nobody seems to be buying them.
PS- the Boneshaker is the only body I really liked, all the others are more contemporary Import looking stuff.....just not my Cup of Joe

Last edited by Ralphthe3rd; 07-14-2013 at 01:16 AM..
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Villain

My Photos

Nice review Ralph, If they drop the price more, I'll grab a few to chop up (the bodies are plastic, arent they?)
Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Yes, they are High Impact Plastic Bodies and Chassis, but very light weight And mine has already HAD some High Impacts too ! - LOL
Update, I've changed my guide pin to a homemade one that's longer, and it really helps in the corners, but these things accelerate (in scale speed) from 0-500 mph in 1 second !
But like I said, they're GREAT on a Dragstrip, and the turn around feature is really Cool
Another funny thing I'd like to mention is, unlike Real Slot cars, is if these puppies De-Slot, they still can keep moving- albeit skidding along on the New Guide pin
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Crazed Painter

My Photos

Have heard the song many times but, now have seen the car...

Always Loved the Boneshaker as a die cast and it is just as Cool as a slot car via remote now!!
Thanks for posting up the lowdown on this project car.

Great PT Cruiser pics and dig the driver and hogged out wheel wells on you 37.

Lincoln wins by a nose. Ooooooooh that Red Hot Rod Lincoln picture is Awesome!!

He removed the Zephyr body, cut two feet out of the frame to shorten the wheel base and dropped a 1930 Ford Model A body on it. Charlie installed a '48 Lincoln V12 engine in it with a '48 Lincoln 3-speed transmission with overdrive. He maintained as many Lincoln touches as he could which included cut-down Zephyr bumpers, Lincoln emblem on the radiator, Lincoln grey hound hood ornament and Lincoln hubcaps. The interior features a cut down '41 Lincoln dash and steering wheel. This was a huge build in the day.

Bob... Great song and Great car ...zilla
Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Talking Update - Boneshaker 2.0

Just a few simple custom mods, to make this ride my own....

Boneshaker 2.0 > Just a few cosmetic mods, like the New/Re-Styled Rad/Grill /Headlights

Removal of Door Tampos/Graffix...later (if I can fine some)I'd like to add some 8-Ball decals to the door/sides

Highlighted rear suspension and wheels
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Part Time Painter/Racer

My Photos

That is a cool ride!!! Likin' that grill much better...just wasn't fond of the skull out front... RM
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned

My Photos

very nice, clean & mean
Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltop Raceway View Post
That is a cool ride!!! Likin' that grill much better...just wasn't fond of the skull out front... RM
Ditto, I just DON'T DO Skulls and Flames.... which is really kinda funny, since I'm an X-biker
But I do love the Rat Rod look, and the Early 60's Hot Rods...
Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Lifetime Member

My Photos

Great mods to Boneshaker, 37 conversion & hot rod build! Thanks for the Hot Rod Lincoln info! ..RL
Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Crazed Painter

My Photos

Looks Cooooooooooool!

RRR ( Road Racing Replicas ) has some very nice 8 Ball decals along with many, many others.

Bz
Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Model Murdering

My Photos

Thanx a LOT Ralph.

I'm dying to try a build on that wider boneshaker platform.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Thumbs up An Oldie but Goodie- Revisited....

Here's my Old PT Cruiser Modified, again...It's been 3 years since I built her, and have rebuilt it many times since. She serves as my Test Mule for tuning new parts as well. It's also one of my Favorite Modifieds and one of my Fastest T-Jets. The Body is a special Resin Cast by Patrick Hogan(HoganRacing) and his Buddy. The Chassis started as NOS Aurora T-Jet, I added a WildOnes toplate w/6ohm arm, and I'm running stock 9T pinion fyi. I use Wizzard Brushes, and the rest of the chassis is blueprinted by ME. Anyway, I run this car in what I call my Hot Rod Class, which requires HR size Wheels and some "Spec" Penn Valley Tires for the rear. Up front, I'm using double flanged all Brass HR/Indy size wheels on a Tungsten Axle, and running Ultra Low Profile- BallsOutRacing(Bearsox) Indy/HR Tires. I want to mention the Numbers on the car, as they have changed a few times during the life of this car. Currently, #21 is running some super sweet *Dry Transfer decals that were sold for use on Pinewood Derby cars, the are distributed by Woodland Scenics under the name Pine Car..... These are really nice numbers and come with three sizes per sheet and I'm using the two larger sizes. I bought these Decals at a Ben Franklin store- FYI.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM

My Photos

Really like that PT Cruiser look. Kinda wish they would make that the spec body for today's Modifieds. If they all gotta look alike, I'd rather have them look like this!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 PM

My Photos

Nice job R3, looks good with headers.