My next project...Chuck Miller's Fire Truck by MPC. - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Model Cars
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

My next project...Chuck Miller's Fire Truck by MPC.

This one could be fun!

I'm cracking this one open as soon as I get done here to see what I've got and to think about how I want to finish it. On sale at Hobby Lobby for $12.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Ok, so here are all of the parts out of the box:

Also in the kit are:
a catalog (do you know how long it's been since I opened a model kit and found a catalog in it?)
A card that has a pic of the original car on one side and a short story on the back about how it came to be made into a model kit.

A miniature version of the box to display next to the car.

A registration card for their newsletter.

So, I decided to snap the wheels together just so I could say I've started the project. Right away I ran into something unusual for me. Here are the wheels:

The slicks on the back have two piece hubs, as usual. However the back piece has plastic in the way. You have to cut the center of the back piece out for the front piece to fit. This is probably no big deal for a bunch of you, but I was out of the game for a good long while, and I don't recall a setup like this even when I was building a lot. Of course back then I mostly built airplanes and spaceships.

Looks like I'll need to sand the interior of that ring before I make it permanent. I wish the wheels on all of my kits looked this good. The detail is really good, and the white lettering is fantastic.

I picked this kit up in part because it was sale priced. It's very difficult to get one of the other kits when they cost twice or more than this one did. Especially since I'm wanting to buy level 3 kits for the extra details. Those get pricey fast. This one won me over also because it is supposed to feature turning front wheels. That will be fun to work with. I drove home yesterday thinking about all the different ways I could finish this project. Now I'm thinking of doing the red, but trying again to use that metallic red that gave me so much trouble on the nomad. I may be inclined to replace the pencil thin trim decals with a white flame pattern , but I don't know for sure yet. Worse comes to worse, I take the paint off and do it in regular red like I did with the nomad, but if I don't try, I'll never figure out how to make it work. After all, I always try to learn something new with each project.

I do plan on wiring the engine. The last wiring job was so much fun, (after the first wire was done, anyway) that I want to do it again. I've looked up pics of the original dragster, and have a pretty good idea of how to run the wires so they don't stand up in the air like they did on my last project.

Something else that surprises me is the size of the kit. It is a 1/25 model, but it looks to be about half the size of my other 1/24 kits. Here's the frame of this kit compared to my cobra (my smallest kit yet) and nomad (my largest) models:

That's where I stand at the moment.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

This should be a fun kit. I've seen this on the shelves and I love show cars. I'll be watching this one!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I need to make sure my gap filler is still good. It's been ages since I needed it. With the body in three pieces, I think I'm going to need it.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

My Photos

You have a good start so far. I have seen a lot of rims with separate (usually inner) rings that have a big sprue in the middle. Oddly I had gone to HL this week to get one of these since I saw it on sale a week or so back, but they were sold out.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I wish I could find the REd Baron reasonably cheap. These two would look good sitting next to each other.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

This project definitely fits the bill. I didn't want something simple. I didn't want the exhaust (for example) molded onto the bottom of the body pan. I wanted something that takes time and care to get right, and the little fiddly bits in this kit definitely require a careful touch.

The downside is, I got the headlight assembly done, but despite all of my care managed to get glue residue all over the lenses anyway. Rats!

If I can just keep the pieces from falling off the table into no-man's land (seriously, you do not want to try to have to find a tiny little bit under my worktable...it isn't fun), this will be an interesting build.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Hey, tolenmar.....I've never built this kit,, But I have built the Red Baron and the PaddyWagon kit's before....The Paddywagon is a C cab design, similar to the one that your doing now.....But instead of a Fire truck, It's a Police version....These are fun kit's to build and they do have some small intricate piece's, Which can be a challenge sometime's....But the end result's, Look Great......I'll be checking in on it's progress......

MOE
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Intricate and challenging is definintely what I've been looking for. I just wish I could find a good Cougar or Corvette with the level of detail I'm after. But that's for later. This'll (happily) keep me busy for a while.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Actual front disc brakes with calipers!

Front grill assembly, showing off the hidesouly hazed headlight lenses.

I still don't know what happened here. My hands were clean when I did this, I put the glue only where I needed it, slide the lenses into place...and still managed to get glue all over them.

The blower for the top of the engine, needs some touching up.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

What glue did you use for the headlight lenses? Regular model cement will haze the lenses just from the gases trapped behind them before it sets up. I always use a water-soluble clear paint to secure clear parts, although I've also heard some guys use regular white glue.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Testors black bottle.

For the record, I always have tourble with headlights and glass. It's just that these headlights were so much worse than usual for me. It came with a second set of lenses, so I could pop these loose and try again. Except that one of them fell off the table and is now camoflaged onto my basement floor...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

My Photos

I use watch crystal glue from Hobby Lobby on lenses and clear parts (as on my AMT T bucket here on HT). Its quite sticky unlike white glue, but will not craze or fog the clear parts or chrome parts.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Well, moving on. I see I have a bit of work ahead of me:

Every one of those mold registration marks is going to have to be filled and smoothed out before I can prime this. There are four on each of the three panels, and they (well most of them) had a lot of extra flashing on them.

Also, Take a look at the decals:

Pinstriping to go around each of the panels on the outside. They are narrower than my pencil tip. And they are in pieces. I'm thinking...No way. I think I'll have better luck masking my own stripes.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Nope, I haven't abandoned this project. I just haven't been able to work on it much the past week or so. Old friends came visiting, which required me to convert my workshop from a workshop to a gaming room and then back again, and then my son had company over, and one of them has asthma, so I wasn't going to take any chances of any fumes getting upstairs while they've been here.

On the flip side of the coin, filling those registration marks is going slowly. I've almost got them done, but they aren't quite right. A little filling, a little sanding, wash, rinse, repeat.

How did I get to be such a perfectionist? Perfectionists irritate me so much!
  HobbyTalk > Models > Model Cars