A Space:1999 Mystery! Mysterious Unknown Force not included. - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > SciFi & Fantasy Movie and TV Discussion
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

A Space:1999 Mystery! Mysterious Unknown Force not included.

OK, so thanks to various threads, I've dipped back into the fascinating pool of the works of Gerry Anderson, and I've encountered something that has me befuddled.

Reading up on the various books I've recently gotten there's one consistent item that I've never seen addressed. It seems that back when Space:1999 was in production they had finished the first episode which doubled as the pilot. It ended up being about 2 hours long, was screened for ITC New York (which had frightening power and control by this point) and judged to be just completely terrible! Sheer, utter screeching boredom!

So, Anderson rolled up his sleeves, shot some new scenes, sat down in the editing room, cut and trimmed and brought it down to an hour and churned out 'Breakaway' as we know it.

OK, good story. So, where did that 2 hour pilot go?

I mean, even if original negs were re-conformed for Breakaway, there still was at least ONE, maybe several, actual finished prints, just like what Roddenberry had with his Star Trek pilot The Cage.

Where's the print? Why haven't any stills shown up? Why isn't it on my DVD megaset?

Now, mind, I'm still waiting on my copy of the Unauthorized Guide to Space:1999 and maybe that answers all the questions, but I wonder if there's something out there that's more 'common knowledge' that I've missed out on. Something more than just the 'they made this then made that' blurbs.

Anybody?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me there.
Don't know what happened to that cut, but there's this:

Scenes deleted from Katzin director's cut include:
(1) Koenig watching Simmonds interviewed on a news programme (while providing expositional dialogue about Meta and the probe) before his live conversation with the Commissioner while flying to Alpha. It also reveals that Koenig had also been the first Alpha commander;

(2) Ex-Commander Gorski having a conversation with Koenig before leaving, reinforcing Simmonds' dogma about the secrecy regarding the Meta Probe setbacks. He would then express disdain for Helena, her personal judgment and professional competence;

(3) Helena giving Koenig an autopsy report on the Probe Astronauts and Collins. He would bring up Gorski's opinions of her. She then revealed Gorski made advances, which she rebuffed—this 'questionable judgment' being the cause of him disregarding her findings and suppressing her reports;

(4) Morrow listening to the Meta signals with Koenig, hoping the probe mission will answer all their questions.

Audio recordings of these scenes were recovered in February 2011 and are available on YouTube and the Space: 1999 website ‘The Catacombs’ under the ‘Breakaway’ episode guide.

There are many more of these. I need to download the audio to keep a copy.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

My Photos

It would be great if they could find or reconstruct that version of the pilot and release it on Bluray.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I suspect the footage was used in the episode "Earthbound" since that seems a direct continuation of the Breakaway story and it also had Roy Dotrice in it.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlee View Post
It would be great if they could find or reconstruct that version of the pilot and release it on Bluray.
Or just plain old DVD. Quality might not be served by what BD is capable of. See, with Fanderson doing some amazing things, plus during the Carlton regime they seemed very keen on doing the best for the shows, I'm completely surprised this is still a 'lost' thing.

Also wouldn't mind a peek at the 'transition' pre-production materials, when UFO 'season 2' turned into Space:1999. I have an over-inflated hope this all gets covered in the book I have on the way, I can see how discussing some of this would be hard to get approved by whoever owns the show currently.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodyssey View Post
I suspect the footage was used in the episode "Earthbound" since that seems a direct continuation of the Breakaway story and it also had Roy Dotrice in it.
I've wondered that. It does seem to bookend very nicely and it wouldn't be a stretch for the signal from Planet Meta to have been actually from the ship in Earthbound.