Voyager from Fantastic Voyage - Page 2 - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzyMandias View Post
Wow, that detail work on the figures is excellent. By the time they are under 'glass' so to speak, they will really look the part.
I have been painting a huge backlog of Games Workshop 28mm miniatures over the last few months, so I empathize with your eye and neck strain.
Looking forward to seeing your continued build.
I have some new pics to post later when I get home. The cockpit bubble is all selaed up now with Busby inside. I connected the wire leads and lit 'er up as a test. Oh man... wait'll you see the pics!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Here are the latest photos.

Engine vent wiring:

Three 3mm red LEDs wired in series with 10 ohm resistor.

Engine vent light test:

Engine vent covers:

Clear plastic covers cut from thin clear sheet styene then press fit (they fit snugly) then glued with Micro Kristal Klear. The covers were needed to give the stern engine vent decals a flat surface to be applied to.

Dymo label tape:

The Dymo tape serves as a guide for the scribing tool I used to cut an access panel out of the lower hull.

Busby Birdwell in his pilot seat:

Clear dome was attached to cockpit with Kristal Klear and lit up. The light was bright enough to shine thru the white plastic and illuminate the instrument panel from below.

Ceiling panel wiring:

LEDs posiitoned to be directly above cabin seats. Two forward LEDs wired in series with 150 ohm resistor. Rear LED will be in series with cockpit light.

Upper and lower hull halves:

The cabin ceiling is painted Bright Blue to match the rest of the interior. The negative battery lead is wired to the pushbutton switch which has been glued and packed with Tamiya epoxy putty to ensure it will NEVER break loose. The battery is held in place to the upper hull half with a velcro tie strap.

Next up is decaling the instrument panel in the bow of the ship and gluing Erica Cane, Jonathan Kidd, and Guru into their seats before gluing the seats to the cabin floor. Then I'll finish wiring up the LEDs to the negative pushbutton and positive battery leads before sealing the hull up.

As always, thanks for following along. Comments appreciated!

Last edited by Trekkriffic; 04-24-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

My Photos

Well done. Clean, careful, and well planned stuff going on here. Your figure enhancement work is noteworthy.

David
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by david merriman View Post
Well done. Clean, careful, and well planned stuff going on here. Your figure enhancement work is noteworthy.

David
I am honored you think so sir. I do try to do more than just build straight from the box.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

This is going to be the ultimate Voyager.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Awesome! Busby looks right at home. Can't wait to see more. I've glad I have held off on doing too much to my Voyager. I'm taking notes!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodyssey View Post
This is going to be the ultimate Voyager.
Thanks but I'll settle for most FANTASTIC Voyager.

I try never to say ultimate. It just sounds arrogant.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
Awesome! Busby looks right at home. Can't wait to see more. I've glad I have held off on doing too much to my Voyager. I'm taking notes!
I'm gratified you are finding my posts enjoyable and helpful for reference when you build yours. This is such an awesome little ship. I loved it the moment it first flew across my TV as a 9 year old.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

More pics from last night and this morning...

I realized I didn't show much detail concerning the battery compartment and how I rigged the strap so I took a few more pics to illustrate...

Velcro Strap Platform:

The strap slides snuggly thru slots I carved in a section of thick styrene sheet which was then glued into the upper hull with styrene cement and CA.
Part of the slot that the tail fits into had to be removed to created a shelf for gluing the platform to on the back end. It also allows for more clearance as it's a tight fit with a 9V battery.

Access Door Panel:

Tabs were glued using Testors tube cement. I still haven't decided on how to secure the other end of the panel to the rear of the ship.
I'll either use a magnet or screw.

Access Door Slots:

Two thicknesses of styrene sheet were cut and stacked to make slots that the door tabs slide into.

Mounting Tube:

I'm planning to take photographs of Voyager in flight mode (as well as on the kit stand) so I decided it would be a good idea to include a mounting tube somewhere on the ship.
The stern felt like an obvious choice so I glued a short piece of Evergreen tubing to a matching length of Evergreen I-Beam tubing which was glued into the tail slot using Testors tube glue.
I didn't use CA as I've found under certain loads CA can pop loose.
Nothing welds styrene together better than styrene cement glues.
Although the cartoon images on the net don't show this opening in the stern I figure it makes sense as a port for launching various probes or even as a laser mounting point to ward off attackers chasing Voyager during one of her many daring missions.

Tail:

I had to cut a slot in the front at the base of the tail to allow for the battery platform protruding thru from inside the ship.
No big deal.

Tail Insert:

This is the cover for the backside of the tail. A hole will need to be drilled for the mounting tube to pass thru.
Before it's glued in place though I'll pack the inside of the tail with AVES apoxy sculpt for added strength.
It may seem like overkill but it won't hurt and I want that mounting tube to stay put dammit!

Gratuitous Profile Pic:

What can I say... just a sweet design from any angle.

As the weekend approaches I'm looking forward to finishing up the wiring and guing the hull together.
Then the tail and wings go on and I start to putty and sand the gaps.

Thanks for reading along. More to come!

Last edited by Trekkriffic; 04-25-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM

My Photos

Taking a blase topic and making it fun

For the life of me, I never understood the interest in manufacturing a kit of the Voyager from that IMHO) dismal cartoon series, and much of my bias is due to finding the original film so boffo, and especially the Proteus. When FSM did a page looking back at this kit I was a bit taken aback. It's basically unappealing, looks like a ripped off version of the comic book version of Lost In Space's shuttle with a tee-tail/vertical stab slapped atop it. But I digress- this project is very cool and it's been a lot of fun tracking your progress and innovation, so I look very much forward to the end result. (Now, if only a major kit Mfg would do the film's Proteus, I can die a happy modeler [well......not until the 1/350th ST-TOS Enterpise comes out late this year!].)

Thanks for the look-see.

BP
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Well I appreciate your opinion BP. Certainly this design is not everyon'es cup of tea but I still like it. I agree with you though on one thing... a styrene kit of the Proteus from a major model kit company would be at or near the top of my "I want" list for sure. Thanks for the comments!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Fine job you are doing sir, love the lights!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

I have very fond memories of the cartoon series from my childhood. It certainly didn't hold a candle to the movie, but there was a certain quirky charm to it.

Both the Proteus, and the Voyager rank highly amongst my favourite Sci-fi vehicles. I even have the Comet Mini Metal Proteus on my model shelf.

Back on topic; great reference for the wiring. I love seeing how people adapt and modify these kits. Certainly far in excess of what the team at Aurora would have ever dreamed of.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
HobbyTalk Pro

My Photos

Quote:
I have very fond memories of the cartoon series from my childhood. It certainly didn't hold a candle to the movie, but there was a certain quirky charm to it.

Both the Proteus, and the Voyager rank highly amongst my favourite Sci-fi vehicles. I even have the Comet Mini Metal Proteus on my model shelf.

Back on topic; great reference for the wiring. I love seeing how people adapt and modify these kits. Certainly far in excess of what the team at Aurora would have ever dreamed of.
I'm sure the folks at Moebius would be shocked at the amount of work I'm putting into this little kit of their's. I figure if they had added the LEDs and a wiring harness it would have cost me a heck of a lot more (something say on the order of 45-50 bucks) than what I have actually spent for the kit, the wiring, and the lights doing it all myself.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Absolutely. I was actually thinking of the original release of this kit by Aurora back when the cartoon first aired.
Frank and Dave are better aquatinted with the contemporary modeller's desire for upgrading and customizing.
  HobbyTalk > Models > Moebius Models