scratch builder help ? any ideas - HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Forum for Diecast Collectors, Modelers, Slot Cars, & Radio Control
Home Forums Photo Album RC TrackFinder Catalog Donation/HobbyTalk Supporter

Welcome to the HobbyTalk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us. Forgotten your password? Click here!

NOTE: Once you register and are logged in this welcome section will no longer be visible.

Go Back   HobbyTalk > Models > The Modeling Forum
Register Classifieds Help/TOS Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM

My Photos

scratch builder help ? any ideas

ive got a 1.15 scale delorean im still working on, the rear bumper is missing this detail

any ideas how i could add this detail

Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

what I would do is go to shapeways.com and read the tutorial
I believe you could replicate those letters in any size

cheers
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

My thought other than the 3d printing method would be to trace the letters onto the bumper and then use a miniature router (I think Dremel at least sell one).

Or you could build your bumper up in layers, cut the rectangular recess out (of one layer) and then have a piece of plastic (or other material slightly thinner than the depth of the rectangular depression and trace then cut the letters out. The inner detail of the e, o and a could be added later with scrap or putty.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

The previous poster may mean the same thing, so pardon if this is redundant: cut out the large outer rectangle in the kit bumper; trace the letters in plastic sheet, then cut out, reserving the "holes" in the "e," "o" and "a;" glue this sheet to another; glue this assembly to the bumper from the inside. What you end up with is 3 layers--the bumper, the recessed area behind the letters, and the sheet with the letters themselves in between.

Or make a decal with an offset highlight/shadow feature. That may be convincing for a small scale replica at a fair distance....
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Do the artwork and have it photoetched. There are alot of places in the Fine Scale Modeler ads that do photoetching. Probably even just send pics and scale.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 AM

My Photos

thanks guys

i have never had photo etch parts made before , any ideas on what it costs roughly?

will also look at the 3d printer
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM

My Photos

There are alot of places in the Fine Scale Modeler ads that do photoetching.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM

My Photos

Here's another option for ya'

1) Cut the letters out of sheet styrene
2) glue them to a larger backer sheet of styrene ( place them in reverse order...like you're looking in a mirror )
3) apply a dusting of talc ( works as a release agent for the next step )
4) mix up some Aves/Milliput/bondo ( whichever you prefer ) and press over the letters ( use a decent amount of pressure...you want to capture the corner details well ) making a thick sheet of putty larger than the final shape of the rectangular recess in the bumper.
5) when cured...seperate the putty from the styrene..trim the panel to it's final size and sand it slightly thicker than the depth of the letters.
6) cut out the rectangle from the bumper and glue the putty letter panel into place.

If you choose to try it...Hope it works well
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Elder Statesman

My Photos

Location: United States of Unamerica - why leave it when you can trash it?
Here's a real simple way to do it. If you have a picture of this that you can trace in the same scale (most printers will allow size adjustment)then cut out the lettering, and glue it with 3M spray adhesive. Attach the letters to styrene sheet about 0.20" thickness. Cut them out very carefully. Then align them so that they are in the same width from each other as the real deal on another piece of sheet styrene. Apply some sculpy putty to it. DO NOT BAKE IT!! Instead, let it sit for a few minutes to harden up to the styrene sheet. Or, you can put it in silicone rubber to make a mould of these letters. Remove the styrene letters. NOW - pour in some polyurethane resin from whereever you get yours from. I get mine from www.dascarplastics.com or www.specialtyresins.com let this sit in the putty/silicone until it cures. You can remove it aftewards, then cut a hole in the bumper for the new letterhead. Sand around the edge to hide it once it's installed. This is just one of many suggestions, but I hope that it will be useful at helping you at some stage in time. Maybe this isn't the shortest, but maybe the easiest way to do it.

~ Chris