Hobbyist Forums banner

Death Star 16D motors

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Zootmaster 
#1 ·
Just getting back into slots after a 25 year break.....need to catch up. FAST! The track I am racing at, Little Asheville Speedway, is running the Parma motors, the one I am interested in is the Death Star 16D #501, What are you guys doing to keep em running tip top. What makes up fast? (raced R/C for a few years in between, that's were all the posts went!) THANKS

#3 ·
brushes? springs? how do you keep em clean, what do you use for cleaning fluids? back in the 60's you could buy a "comm stick" that fit through the brush hood to clean the comm, don't see anything like that now? or are we supposed to use em till dity and throw them away? I was in 1/10th scale R/C for a while and got spoiled I guess, motor dyno, comm lathe, and all.

#6 ·
Also,

We always felt the armature slop in all the motors at the hobby shop and bought the ones with the least amount of front to back movement. We break our motors in connected to a dremel in water to seat the brushes. Then clean it out good with electrical cleaner and lube the bushings. We have tried cutting the brushes to advance timing, and also slot them to reduce friction, either seemed to work OK for a little while but the motors taper off quicker this way, so we stopped cutting them.

#7 ·
NO internet the last time I was into slots....makes it interesting and confusing, so much information. For example, the 16D, sealed but look at all the "stuff" out there for them? Am I missing something? Is there a 16D Mod. class somewhere?

#8 ·
To keep clean - use the electrical spray that you local track has available and everyone is using - it will not hurt the seal.

IF you are allowed to change brushes - ProSlot Gold Dust

IF you are allowed to change springs - Champion Light

There are still comm sticks available (I still have some).

There are a lot of other things that you can do, but you must look at the rules and decipher what you can and can not do. I would first get the best handling chassis and body you can and then work on the motor.

#9 ·
been looking for a comm stick that will work on the 16D, where can I get one? I been cutting narrow strips of emery paper to slip in and clean the comm. Also used some "brake cleaner" that we used to clean motors in RC, not sure the solution is good for the brushes in the slot motors?

#14 ·
Well Ralf, it all depends on what they allow. One of the first things I do is move the can oilite to take up the extra slop and solder it in. I also super glue the magnet so they don't move. If changing the brushes is allowed I've had real good luck with the ProSlot goldust brushes. Make sure you radius them first. Then tweak the spring a little so the part that hits the brush is in the middle. Also bend the long leg of the spring to add more tension. I don't like the Champion light spring on the motor because the spring is to big in diameter where the spring cups are so the tension in constantly changing. I then break it in at 5 volts for about 15 minutes using a couple of Revtech drops to help with the brush seating. After 15 min of break in use a few drops of VooDoo to clean up the comm and your ready to go racing. Hope this helps but remember to check what the rules are exactly first. Good Luck

Zootmaster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.