Hobbyist Forums banner

Dioramas - Drag Strip

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Guntownal 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the community. I am just getting back into modeling. So my first purchase was an original unbuilt Trantula Draster model dated 1968, just like I had when I was a kid. I would like to display it in a diorama of a dragstrip starting line. The model is 1:24 scale. I see that GMP has a 1:18 scale drag strip. Do you thing that would work? I can obtain a 1:24 scale Christmas tree.
Also does anyone know of a 1:24 scale set of bleachers as a kit or does anyone have plans with a list of possible materials that can be used.
Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated!
Redbryder

#2 ·
Welcome aboard. I had that kit as a lad myself, brings back memories. A 1:18 is too large for your scale. I'm not much help for you but gunn makes some really cool 1:64 bleachers, maybe you can scale it up? You can do the track with 1000 grit sandpaper with some pastel dust and paint.

#5 ·
sorry i cant help ya right now. computer problems. try a picture back drop of bleachers in the back ground. i lost all my info to scale modelers mag fourm. thay do large scale dios.
anyone here have the link? this computer im on only lets me do so much.
i think stangfreak has the link.

#7 ·
I should have said pastel powders...

You can paint your track with grey primer, or white then mask off a centerline then primer, remove tape for your lane divider. Pastel sticks can be scraped with a knife to put powder on a paper plate (thanks gunn for teaching me this) or buy it in powder form. These bottles are from Doc O'Brians weathering powders. The dark colors can be dry brushed on for tire marks on the track. Give it a worn raced on look.

#10 ·
Thank you Guntownal

Guntownal,
So to make sure I got your message correct....your two cars (nice set of funny cars! by the way) are displayed on a GMP 1:18 scale Drag strip diorama? Sorry to ask, but I just want to make sure, since I am just beginning my modelng career again. If this is true, then this set will work perfect!!!
Thak you for your time it is much appreciated!
Redbryder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.