Hobbyist Forums banner

tecumseh surging problem

26K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  engine man 
#1 ·
hello i have a 8hp roper snowblower with a tecumseh engine on it. i restored it and it was running smooth but the carburetor had varnish in it so i cleaned it real good 3 times with carb cleaner and rebuilt the carburetor with all new jets, gaskets and needle and seat but when i put it back together it surges even when i try adjusting it. what is wrong with it??
thanks
engine man

#4 · (Edited)
locate the linkage from the throttle on the carburetor that extends to the arm comming off of the engine. This arm is the governor arm and is attached to the governor shaft coming out of the engine block with a mtg screw or clamp.

To adjust the governor, loosen the screw holding the arm or clamp, push on the arm in the direction that opens the throttle on the carburetor to the full open (fast) position and hold it there. Now turn the governor shaft or clamp in the same direction that opens the throttle until it stops. Tighten the retaining screw or clamp down. Thats all there is to it.

JUST REMEMBER THAT THE GOVERNOR SHAFT SHOULD ALWAYS BE TURNED IN THE SAME DIRECTION THE GOVERNOR ARM TURNS TO OPEN THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN.

The governor shaft must be turned until it stops to make sure that it is resting on the governor spool on internal governors. Air vane governors have no adjustment other then the spring tension.

#6 ·
My engine only surges when I let the governor arm be free. If I hold it, the engine settles to a steady idle. I just rebuild the carb and put new gaskets on it and put new fuel and vacuum lines on it so I really think its a governor adjustment issue.

Thanks for the info!

#9 ·
well i tried every hole for the linkage to go in and nothing so i tried a new gasket and it still surges so i think your right Big ed there might still be something plogging one of the holes so sometime i will get some good carb cleaner the stuff i have sucks for that so i will let you know what happens.
thanks for the replys
enine man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.