Hobbyist Forums banner

Bomber Body Racing?

12K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  swtour 
#1 ·
Is anyone here racing Paved/Carpet or Dirt w/ the old "Bomber Bodies"?

I know they do Figure 8 at the Snowbirds w/ them...but anyone else?

I'm working on some detail decals for the McAllister 55 Chevy and 57 Fords (Grill/Headlight and Taillight)

#2 ·
We had a class of them this last winter on the carpet. They ran the "Stinger" brushed motor with 4 cell NiMh. Blinky ESC. Had to run a pinion/spur combo but don't know what the numbers were. Spec. tires w/old time bodies. ('80 and older) Had alot of guys in the class and they had a ball!

#3 ·
I wrote the rules for Mike for the first Figure 8 at the 'Birds. I got a WHOLE list of pre-1985 bodies.

I'd LOVE to see a *national* "VTA" style class for oval racing. "All-American Stock Cars". Vintage-style wheels, slick tires (no treads), vintage bodies. 25.5 motors, no-timing ESC's, limited battery.

We could go with either pan-car or touring-car chassis. No wings or spoilers (except for what's molded in to the body).

Anyone interested in giving this a shot? I can even put together a Web site a la U.S. Vintage Trans-Am.

#4 ·
I wrote the rules for Mike for the first Figure 8 at the 'Birds. I got a WHOLE list of pre-1985 bodies.

I'd LOVE to see a *national* "VTA" style class for oval racing. "All-American Stock Cars". Vintage-style wheels, slick tires (no treads), vintage bodies. 25.5 motors, no-timing ESC's, limited battery.

We could go with either pan-car or touring-car chassis. No wings or spoilers (except for what's molded in to the body).

Anyone interested in giving this a shot? I can even put together a Web site a la U.S. Vintage Trans-Am.
I am 62 years old and would love a nostalgic class with the trans am/VTA bodies using pan car. 21.5 motor, 0* timing, spec battery and WGT tires. Most racers have a spare pan car to use. How about it Mike B,
an exhibition class for Saturday night.

#5 ·
We used to do a stock class (4 cell 27T) class with those old bodies @ Race Rock in Orlando FL once a year. We could use a 3/4" spoiler on the rear. I loved that class...maybe because I was pretty good at it. (LOL!) They also had a rule you could not run both 'pro stock' and this 'Classic Stocker' class so it kept out the good drivers. We had fun with it.

On Carpet you would not need it (the spoiler) with a 21.5 (or some locked timming motor) and a 1 Cell. Maybe use the Trinity cheap packs I seen on the table at the birds. I dont even recall what they were called but they were cheap!

But yet again we would be inventing a 'new' class to add to the already long list of classes.

#9 ·
I don't have a 55 Chevy body right at the moment, so I can't mock up the actual size - but these are what I've put together so far for the BOMBER Body decals - they are out for printing right now, I'm kind of excited to see how they look...along w/ the VTA Mustang and Pontiac Firebird decals

#10 ·
So, do you "oval" guys want a class as "pan car chassis", or, to bring in racers that already run the current VTA rules with Touring-car chassis?

I just built my first VTA car; gonna try and race it this next weekend.

The rules (for VTA) are written so that 1) you don't have to spend a TON of money to be competitive; 2) there's only two approved motors (Novak just put together a third <newer> motor, but it has yet to be approved); only a handful of approved ESC's; and batteries are limited to 5000mAh; 3) all American muscle car bodies; 4) a ten-year-old chassis can run good in the class; and 5) *everyone* in the class has fun.

Like I said, I had a set of "guidelines" I had written up for a class called "All-American Stock Cars", using the VTA rules as a base. I have a LOT longer list of bodies, though :)

#11 ·
So, do you "oval" guys want a class as "pan car chassis", or, to bring in racers that already run the current VTA rules with Touring-car chassis?

I just built my first VTA car; gonna try and race it this next weekend.

The rules (for VTA) are written so that 1) you don't have to spend a TON of money to be competitive; 2) there's only two approved motors (Novak just put together a third <newer> motor, but it has yet to be approved); only a handful of approved ESC's; and batteries are limited to 5000mAh; 3) all American muscle car bodies; 4) a ten-year-old chassis can run good in the class; and 5) *everyone* in the class has fun.

Like I said, I had a set of "guidelines" I had written up for a class called "All-American Stock Cars", using the VTA rules as a base. I have a LOT longer list of bodies, though :)
I can see the VTA rules as a way to maybe get some on road racers, but the catch 22 is how many oval racers will want an on road car or how many on road racers want a pan car. The four wheel drive sedans on oval have been tried before. In the long run the class would most likely be a local thing, as most people say we have too many classes now.

As a nostalgic class with spec rules, I bet it would not be long before we old guys would be racing the younger crowd and sportsman racers that want a fun class.

Just my opinion
I could be wrong

#12 ·
You guys should see the model they do for the Vintage class in Gilbert Arizona - THOSE boys know how to have Fun...but they run like 15 classes so most "HobbyTalk" people would complain about it. (But most of the racers run 4-5 classes, because the entries are CHEAP and it's ALL about "FUN") -- and honestly WHAT Else is there to do in GILBERT ARIZONA on a HOT SUMMER NIGHT

#14 · (Edited)
Joe used a good example. The Gilbert Arizona hobby Town races are something every Hobby Shop owner should visit. Two hundred entries is not that uncommon. I was there in February and there was close to 25 different classes. There is a class for everything. Todd Understiller owns the shop. He is a National level racer himself and is really helpful to all the racers. They run standard races and break out racing. Some of the Phoenix racers will be coming to Flagstaff this weekend....it will be close to 120 degrees in phoenix on Saturday!!! To top off the racing in Gilbert, Dennis Crippen hand scores all the races...I don't think there is another human on the planet that can do what he does.

There will be a Vintage Oval class with touring cars in Flagstaff this Saturday, along with Pan Car oval classes and much more.

#16 · (Edited)
There's also another Touring Car based oval class called Street Stock. If you use the Pro Line Bead Lock wheels and any 2.2 tires, they bolt right up to 190mm Touring Cars that makes them 9" wide. We have a wide variety of Street Stock bodies that work. A great fun class for all skill levels for a cool Vintage Oval look. Here's my personal 59 Plymouth Street Stock, plus my Pontiac Trans Am for Vintage Oval. Both will be races tomorrow....plus my Pan Cars!!

#19 ·
Jimmy- Here is the part number for the wheels...PRO270402 . They are a bigger wheel that takes any 2.2 rubber tire, so you can run asphalt, carpet or dirt oval depending on the tire selection. They are bead locks so they are reusable too. It's perfect for the 9" wide bodies. It's real "Bombers" Baby!!!

Grumpy- I'm sure you can use the Plymouth at SRS...I know guys are using them there...Tell Adam I said you could...LOL

#22 ·
I did and this is what it says;

Approved Street Stock Body List:
 McAllister #290- ’69 DODGE CHARGER STREET STOCK
 McAllister #268– MONTE CARLO STREET STOCK
 McAllister #264– CAMARO STREET STOCK
 McAllister #125– BUICK REGAL STREET STOCK
 McAllister #136- 1/10 ‘70 MUSTANG STREET STOCK
 McAllister #134- 1/10 ‘70 BARRACUDA STREET STOCK
 McAllister #256 FIREBIRD STREET STOCK
 McAllister #125– BUICK REGAL STREET STOCK

Oh, I plan on having fun running the class. New to the area here and no place to run my nitro sprint

#24 ·
Huh, here's the rules I got....

Street Stock Class Rules and Specifications

Body Specifications:
Late '50s to early '80s American Stock Car bodies only.
McAllister 9" Street Stock Body part numbers:
290 - 1969 Dodge Charger Street Stock
292 - 1959 Plymouth Street Stock
268 - Monte Carlo Street Stock
264 - Camaro Street Stock
125 - Buick Regal Street Stock
136 - 1970 Barracuda Street Stock
159 - 1951 Mercury 9" Body 256 - Firebird Street Stock

Chassis Specification:
Four Wheel Drive TC3 and TC4 190mm touring car chassis only. No modifications or fabrication. Chassis must be of OE Design and function.

#25 · (Edited)
That is strange Gary. I downloaded the whole PDF rules from their site. Well, I like what you found better....:D

I may go with the Merc if that's the case. Love that body style. Old school like I am....
Can I get it direct from your site?
Also, what tires are you running there?
I won't be ready for a couple weeks, but I will see you there soon.

#26 · (Edited)
If you guys are interested, here's what I had figured for an "All-American Stock Car" class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the USVTA rules as a base. Touring-car chassis, AWD/4WD. No "oval-only" chassis. Use USVTA electronics/battery/motor rules. Driver figure not required.

Motor Specifications:
25.5 brushless with 2C LiPo: Novak Vulcan 25.5 Spec brushless motor or Ballistic 25.5 ONLY combined with any hard-cased 2C 7.4v LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity. Novak motors are the ONLY motor allowed at this time. All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Only physical motor timing advance is allowed, however Ballistic motors must not be advanced beyond the last line of the timing range sticker. 12.3 mm rotor diameter only (no "tuning" rotors are allowed, only stock Novak rotors allowed). Using ceramic bearings in the motor makes you a dork. No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor. No cooling holes or other changes allowed to motor. Fans and external clip on heatsinks are allowed, but integral type heatsinks/fans including but not limited to those that require motor disassembly to mount are illegal.

All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final.

Approved ESCs:

Novak-
Club Brushless ESC (#1852)
EDGE 2S Brushless ESC (#1850, 1851)
Mongoose Micro Brushless/Brush ESC (#1718)
GTB 2 Racing w/X-Drive (#1749)
GTB 2 Racing w/X-Drive- Low Profile (#1748)
GTB 2 Sportsman Racing Brushless ESC (#1708, 1709)
GTB series part numbers:1710, 1711
Havoc series part numbers:1732, 1733, 1735
Slyder part number: 1712

LRP
A.i. Brushless Reverse part numbers: LRP80100, LRP80150

SPEED PASSION
Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC part number: 12280
Reventon Stock Club Race part number:SP000048

HOBBYWING
JUSTOCK Club ESC (same esc, but differing part numbers)-
Falcon Sekido Part #
Hobbywing Justock Black: 81020001 (Black)
Hobbywing Justock blue 81020000 (Blue)

CRC Part #
7014 - Hobbywing XERUN Juststock Club No timing ESC - Sensored

Battery Specifications:
Battery Specifications: 2 cell LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit

Ride Height Specification:
Minimum ride height is 5mm.

Weight Specification:
Minimum 1550g in race-ready trim

Tires:
HPI P/N #4792 (Rear, slick, D-compound, 31mm) and P/N #4791 (Front, slick, D-compound, 26mm) ONLY.

Wheels:
HPI wheels P/N #'s:
#33472 VINTAGE Wheel CC Type 26mm CHROME(0mm OFFSET/2pcs)
#33473 VINTAGE Wheel CC Type 31mm CHROME(6mm OFFSET/2pcs)
#3743 Stock Car Wheel 26mm Chrome (1mm Offset)
#3741 Stock Car Wheel 26mm Black
#3854 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 26mm BLACK (0mm OFFSET)
#3855 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 26mm WHITE (0mm OFFSET)
#3856 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 26mm GUNMETAL (0mm OFFSET)
#3857 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 26mm CHROME (0mm OFFSET)
#3858 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 31mm BLACK (6mm OFFSET)
#3859 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 31mm WHITE (6mm OFFSET)
#3860 VINTAGE STOCK CAR WHEEL 31mm GUNMETAL (6mm OFFSET)

Bodies: 1985 and older body styles only. No additional spoilers, except whatever comes *with* the body (HPI Camaros, etc.). NO WINGS (except on Plymouth Superbird/Dodge Daytona from RJSpeed).

Bodies must be 1955-1985 full-fendered stock car “Street Stock/Bomber/Thunder Car”-type body. Legal bodies are the following:

http://www.rjspeed.com - RJSpeed
‘71 Mercury Cyclone P/N #1034
'55 Chevy "Sportsman" P/N #RJS1051
'68 Chevy Camaro SS P/N #BOL2112 (7.6" wide)
'65 Ford Mustang Shelby GT P/N #2113 (7.6" wide)
'68 Chevy Chevelle P/N #BOL2213
'69 Dodge Charger P/N #BOL2257
'68 Chevy Camaro P/N #BOL2262 (8" wide)
'65 Ford Mustang Shelby GT P/N #BOL2263 (8" wide)
'64 Chevy Impala P/N #BOL2264
'69 Ford Torino Talladega P/N #BOL2265
'70 Chevy Nova SS P/N #BOL2278
'72 Chevy Monte Carlo P/N #BOL2286
'70 Plymouth Superbird (with wing) P/N #BOL2287
'67 Chevy Camaro P/N #BOL2371 (9" wide)
'65 Ford Mustang Shelby GT P/N #BOL2374
'55 Chevy Bel-Air P/N #BOL2382

http://www.windtunnelracingproducts.com/ - Wind Tunnel Racing Products
’83-’85 ASA Pontiac Firebird Late Model P/N #WT2392

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/racing/ - McAllister Racing
’74-’81 Camaro Street Stock P/N #264
’70 Ford Mustang Street Stock P/N #136
’70 Plymouth Barracuda Street Stock P/N #134
’83-’85 Pontiac Firebird Street Stock P/N #256
’57 Ford Bomber P/N #181
’55 Chevy Bomber P/N #182
'78 Camaro IROC P/N #275
'59 Plymouth P/N #292
'69 Charger P/N #290
'85 Monte Carlo P/N #268
'70 Pontiac Firebird P/N #295

http://www.hpiracing.com/home/ - HPI Racing
1965 Ford Shelby GT-350 Mustang (200mm) P/N #17508
1966 Ford Mustang GT (200mm) P/N #17519
1968 Chevy Camaro (200mm) P/N #7494
1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am (200mm) P/N #107201
1970 Dodge Challenger (200mm) P/N #1015106
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (200mm) P/N #17546
1969 Chevy Camaro (200mm) P/N #17531
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (200mm) P/N #104926

http://www.parmapse.com/
’61 Chevy Impala P/N #PA10196 (Parma)
’70 Ford Boss Mustang P/N #PA10141 (Parma)
’57 Chevy P/N #PA10162 (Parma)
’70 Barracuda P/N #PA10113 (Parma)

http://www.speedysracingparts.com/Bodies.htm - Speedy’s Racing Parts
’74-’81 Camaro Street Stock P/N #MCA-264 (McAllister)
‘70 Plymouth Barracuda Street Stock P/N #134 (McAllister)
‘70 Ford Mustang Street Stock P/N #136 (McAllister)
’57 Ford Bomber P/N #MCA-181 (McAllister)
’55 Chevy Bomber P/N #MCA-182 (McAllister)
’68 Chevy Chevelle P/N #BL2213 (old BoLink P/N)
’69 Dodge Charger P/N #BL2257 (old BoLink P/N)
’68 Chevy Camaro P/N #BL2262 (old BoLink P/N)
’65 Ford Mustang P/N #BL2263 (190mm) (old BoLink P/N)
’64 Chevy Impala P/N #BL2264 (old BoLink P/N)
’70 Chevy Nova P/N #BL2278 (old BoLink P/N)
’69 Ford Torino Talladega/Mercury Cyclone Spoiler P/N #BL2265 (old BoLink P/N)
’72 Chevy Monte Carlo P/N #BL2286 (old BoLink P/N)
’70 Plymouth Superbird P/N #BL2287 (old BoLink P/N)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.p...rs-Trucks-Bodies-1-10-200mm-TC/filter_mfr/325 - A-Main Hobbies/Pegasus Hobbies:
’70 1/2 Camaro PGH4001
’70 Mustang PGH4002
’70 Barracuda PGH4003

http://racepf.com/vintage-trans-am/j71-clear-body/ - ProtoForm Bodies
’70 AMC Javelin P/N 1526-00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.