Hobbyist Forums banner

Help with an Atlas 520 snowblower

14K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  duffer72 
#1 ·
I just bought a used Atlas 520 snowblower,but the guy didn't have the manual for it.Would anyone know where I could find one,or at the very least would someone know what the proper fuel oil mixture would be for it.If it matters it is a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me.

#2 ·
As far as I know, Atlas went out of business years ago. My Dad had one in the '60's. Don't think you'll be able to find a manual, much less any parts.

You ask about the fuel oil mixture - is this a 2-stroke? Wasn't aware they made one, for that matter didn't think Briggs made a 2-stroke snow engine until the '80's. If it is, there's a cut-off for running 2-strokes on today's 50:1 mix, and given the age of yours, I'd run 32:1 or even 16:1.

If the engine is exposed, and has an oil fill plug near the bottom of the block, it's a 4-stroke. 4-strokes don't use mix, they use straight gas in the tank, and 5W30 in the crankcase (for winter use).

#10 ·
This is true for the most part for the last say, 40 years. But, previous to that, numerous units were made with a four-stroke engine, and a single-stage, high-speed auger/impellor. Kind of a predecessor to the Toro S-200 series, but all metal, and very dangerous. Atlas, Reo (Reo was bought by Wheel-Horse), and Toro much such models. I think Lambert made one too. Remember the Toro Power-Handle, or Snow-Hound? I worked on a lot of Reo's, even into the 1980's. Also, Sears/Crafts. had an unusual one - a single stage, but the auger-impellor sat sideways like a 2nd stage impellor, so the intake was controlled and managed by forward motion alone. Had funky rods, like studs welded onto the impellor blades to chop up chunks.
Paul

#13 ·
According to an Atlas owner's manual for the 2-cycle A3222J & A3222ESJ models the proper oil is TC-W 2-cycle oil and the mixture should be 1:32 (4oz. oil per gallon of gas). I just bought a used Atlas (also without a manual) and found this website for downloading manuals: http://www.hammerwall.com/Manuals/Atlas/593/ . Now all I need to do is find out which model I own (haven't found any ID labels on it yet), I'm guessing it's the single-stage. Odd that all the single-stage manuals on that site are all for the same model (even though the site specifies otherwise). It probably doesn't matter, though. Checking the other manuals it seems that only the single-stage units need to have oil added to the gas, not the dual-stage units.

#14 · (Edited)
No need to worry about ratio, just buy a good name brand 2 cycle oil, mix a small bottle to a gallon of gas and it will work fine, that is all we used in the shop for over 25 yrs and never had any problem, we used stihl or tanaka oil when we could get it, you can also use echo, stay away from store brands and ones such as homelite, etc. My CCR2000 toro is now about 30 yrs old and still going strong on this mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.